• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about BLBcomics / Robert Beerbohm

167 posts in this topic

A little bit. When you are gruff you get gruff in return. I forget that quite a bit myself. Nine times out of ten, I am goofing and having fun but I am pretty sure the perception of me around here is that nine times out of ten, I am being a jerk.

Ninety percent of the time, you're an a-hole every time.

When did Bob get banned? I must've missed that?

His rants and musings were entertaining at times. And nobody could go off-tangent like he could. He had a very stream-of-consciousness style posting. When he could stay on-topic, he could sometimes provide some interesting insight to the market back in the day (ie, the GL 76 rare in HG thread from years ago).

Arch bans BLB

Long wrangle on the GA board over a deal for some pulps that went off the rails. BLB also did some posting on Facebook that may have played a role.

Did he ever make good on those pulps?

yes, he finally shipped them and buyer received them.

Thank goodness for that. Glad to hear he got his books.

A little bit. When you are gruff you get gruff in return. I forget that quite a bit myself. Nine times out of ten, I am goofing and having fun but I am pretty sure the perception of me around here is that nine times out of ten, I am being a jerk.

Ninety percent of the time, you're an a-hole every time.

When did Bob get banned? I must've missed that?

His rants and musings were entertaining at times. And nobody could go off-tangent like he could. He had a very stream-of-consciousness style posting. When he could stay on-topic, he could sometimes provide some interesting insight to the market back in the day (ie, the GL 76 rare in HG thread from years ago).

Arch bans BLB

Long wrangle on the GA board over a deal for some pulps that went off the rails. BLB also did some posting on Facebook that may have played a role.

Did he ever make good on those pulps?

yes, he finally shipped them and buyer received them.

Thank goodness for that. Glad to hear he got his books.

It was a big mess, but finally closed. Definitely convinced me to never deal with BB ever again (I actually haven't for some time, but now don't even look at his stuff).

I'm confused. Did he not recently try to sell items on here last year to raise money for his daughter's medical condition? Everyone talked so fondly of him then and helped him out.

I can't say I've ever had any bad purchases from him. His items always take time to arrive to my place but the grading and secure shipping was decent.

Bob may be a lot of things but not sure about the Oldbuck fleecing.

Remember who the Advisor was to the OSPG for Victorian Age items... Beerbohm. The allegation is that he manipulated Guide prices to inflate the value of items in his own inventory. When the market can't sustain such inflated prices, it dumps.

Also, on one of those copies of Obadiah Oldbuck, BLB had told the owner that the book was 'worthless' and refused to pay her. When she found out about the big sale, Beerbohm would not communicate with her at all (sound familiar?).

She finally contacted one of BLB's associates to demand payment, and something was eventually worked out to keep things quiet.

I understand but its a little unfair to say he swindled him when there are many proven sales of the book(s) thoughout the years within a legitimate area of collecting.

While Bob may be an there's still some great value and interest in pre-Golden age collecting. I think you'll find that many collectors who write articles on the subjects they love, tend to own some of those books as well. In fact its basicly the standard of the industry.

Pre-Golden age has always been a slower market, and I'm not sure how much prices have gone up or down across the board within, but collecting very rare books has always been a heavy risk.

One could make the same claim for those promoting Duck books over the years, or ultra high grade (CGC 9.8) Bronze age keys. Which I know have fared much much worse.

Remember who the Advisor was to the OSPG for Victorian Age items... Beerbohm. The allegation is that he manipulated Guide prices to inflate the value of items in his own inventory. When the market can't sustain such inflated prices, it dumps.

Also, on one of those copies of Obadiah Oldbuck, BLB had told the owner that the book was 'worthless' and refused to pay her. When she found out about the big sale, Beerbohm would not communicate with her at all (sound familiar?).

She finally contacted one of BLB's associates to demand payment, and something was eventually worked out to keep things quiet.

I understand but its a little unfair to say he swindled him when there are many proven sales of the book thoughout the years within a legitimate area of collecting.

You're missing the point - how many of us who promote books that we like actually have the ability to directly control the Guide value of those same books?

If sales are based on false numbers, that will eventually lead to a dump (niche market or not) as corrections are made.

I'm not denigrating pre-Golden Age books at all, only making mention of someone who has proven to be conniving and untrustworthy being in a position of authority with the Guide - not a good scenario, I'm sure you'd agree.

I understand but its a little unfair to say he swindled him when there are many proven sales of the book thoughout the years within a legitimate area of collecting.

You're missing the point - how many of us who promote books that we like actually have the ability to directly control the Guide value of those same books?

If sales are based on false numbers, that will eventually lead to a dump (niche market or not) as corrections are made.

I'm not denigrating pre-Golden Age books at all, only making mention of someone who has proven to be conniving and untrustworthy being in a position of authority with the Guide - not a good scenario, I'm sure you'd agree.

I do agree that having him write for the Overstreet is questionable given his poor rep, but I haven't see any false information.

Don't forget that the buyer had to drive hours in the New England winter because Bob decided shipping to a "nearby" 3rd party (which was not nearby) was how he wanted to complete the 5+month old deal.

I think it was turning into an 8- or 9-month-old deal. It seems that if board members hadn't applied ongoing pressure, Bob would have let it turn into a never-completed deal.

No, Kav. Beerbohm is one of the biggest turds in this hobby. He is the epitome of a disreputable seller.

I gotta ask, how old are you because if I had to guess I would say you are about 18?

wow a supporting comment on one hand and an insult in the other. you're a man of many talents.

I'd tell you my age but you'd just not believe me....

There isn't any insult. I asked a question.

that's a bit disingenuous. Saying I seem like i'm about 18 is an attempt to say I'm immature, which is an insult.

You are wildly over emotional and fritter back and forth between self righteous and belligerent. Agressive and then docile. I am hoping it is because you are immature and 18 because then I would understand you a bit more and you wouldn't irritate me as much.

If you are older then you are gonna be a goldmine for points. lol

You're clearly bored. lol

Go easy with the low-hanging fruit.

#TEAMTARANTULA

No, Kav. Beerbohm is one of the biggest turds in this hobby. He is the epitome of a disreputable seller.

I gotta ask, how old are you because if I had to guess I would say you are about 18?

wow a supporting comment on one hand and an insult in the other. you're a man of many talents.

I'd tell you my age but you'd just not believe me....

There isn't any insult. I asked a question.

that's a bit disingenuous. Saying I seem like i'm about 18 is an attempt to say I'm immature, which is an insult.

You are wildly over emotional and fritter back and forth between self righteous and belligerent. Agressive and then docile. I am hoping it is because you are immature and 18 because then I would understand you a bit more and you wouldn't irritate me as much.

If you are older then you are gonna be a goldmine for points. lol

overemotional? this from the guy who follows me around insulting me? wow.

17?

Maybe younger.

it's encouraging to see that you feel your buddy needs 'back up'. cause people winning don't need such help, and this is great confirmation for me....

Needs back up? lol. Was just passing thur reading threads and I agreed with him that you seem really young. Not that I need to explain myself to a kid. Go take a nap.

Park: this comment I would see as an insult-would I be over reacting?

But you're no Jerkfro

Then you've got to call out Bob Overstreet as well, who for years managed to maintain guide prices at above fair market value for a slew of books in his collection, an example being all of his ECs.

Then you've got to call out Bob Overstreet as well, who for years managed to maintain guide prices at above fair market value for a slew of books in his collection, an example being all of his ECs.

I suppose the real question is how many people still use Overstreet as a pricing guide.

I don't and don't know anyone who does!

Considering the book is called the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide, are you merely stating the obvious or is there an epiphany to be had?

I suppose the real question is how many people still use Overstreet as a pricing guide.

Apparently, much of the marketplace does. I recently got in several hundred S.A. Marvels, ranging 4.0 - 8.0, and spot-checked OPG with GPA. Except for the few obvious issues recently rocketed due to late-breaking movie news, the majority of recent sales seemed within 10% of OPG.

Apparently, much of the marketplace does. I recently got in several hundred S.A. Marvels, ranging 4.0 - 8.0, and spot-checked OPG with GPA. Except for the few obvious issues recently rocketed due to late-breaking movie news, the majority of recent sales seemed within 10% of OPG.

(thumbs u

The presence of other pricing sources and market data have resulted in OSPG being used as a true guide rather than a bible, but it is still widely used for stable books.