• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about BLBcomics / Robert Beerbohm

167 posts in this topic

yeah, i had been gone 3 weeks to back to back shows, back in those earlier ebay days before PayPal - hard to do a 25-30 week out of town schedule back in the day as well as maintain proper eBay conduct,

once i got back, mailed you a check - you got it, cashed it, mailed the book

and when i got back from another show or two later on, there it was at the post office box along with many other purchases

and boy was that Action #101 beat worse than i thought it was going to be - ended up selling it less than i paid, oh, well........

- i bought many thousands of lots off eBay before my hip joints broke, spent hours upon hours placing zillions of bids like a vaccuum cleaner

- my time is limited these days to how much i can spend just sitting upright at a computer, the upper body weight digs down into the hip joints, they wanting to pop out,

- sometimes i almost pass out from the pain - but we soldier on doing the best we can

These days we now get to post huge scans so there are no surprises like there could be before when the scans were maybe two inches tall. My ebay feedback says we are doing 99+% correct - i think that to be a decent record,

Robert Beerbohm Comic Art

PO Box 507 Fremont NE 68026

www.BLBcomics.com

eBaystore: BLB COMICS

ComicConnect http://www.comicconnect.com/?surl=19464

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/public/default.asp?t=1&m=1&c=34&s=262&ai=81492

01 402 727 4071 mostly 9 AM to 6 PM daily - Or Leave a message

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYyttEu_NLU&feature=relateß

Sorry to hear about the problems.

I used to frequent the stores in Berkeley and I know Peter Grubbs (who has since closed his comic store in Lafayette, CA.)

(Hope you addressed Pokerkid's Dad's problem with his books.)

well, dunno yet who Pokerkid is, or his dad, or what books, details lacking so far,

I miss the Bay Area, fun days in that galaxy far far away -

did not know Peter Grubb had a comic book store in Lafayette

stopping work for the night, be back here tomorrow as this is some sort of misunderstanding which gets fixed -

just for the record, i know of no one who bid & won a dozen books from me as i do not do auctions on ebay for many years now - simply Buy It Now with Best Offer

i just did my first auctions on ebay in maybe 8 years of about 100 lots started last wednesday last week from returning from Heroescon in Charlotte, they all just ended Wed July 1 a couple days ago, so part of this tale does not make sense. A dozen books being bid on does not make sense, i am sure there is a bit differing tale to the truth of this deal

sounds like something off eBay, doesn't matter,

it just has to be brought to my attention again, then my kids will take care of it, Kati being 29 now, William is 22 - both bright responsible adults now

Robert, thanks for coming straight to the boards with all of the information. I incorrectly observed you had not been on here in a year and a half, so I did not think contacting you through the boards via PM would work.

I sent you a PM to clarify which books are in question, and if that resolves the issue, that would be great.

well, dunno yet who Pokerkid is, or his dad, or what books, details lacking so far,

I miss the Bay Area, fun days in that galaxy far far away -

did not know Peter Grubb had a comic book store in Lafayette

stopping work for the night, be back here tomorrow as this is some sort of misunderstanding which gets fixed -

just for the record, i know of no one who bid & won a dozen books from me as i do not do auctions on ebay for many years now - simply Buy It Now with Best Offer

i just did my first auctions on ebay in maybe 8 years of about 100 lots started last wednesday last week from returning from Heroescon in Charlotte, they all just ended Wed July 1 a couple days ago, so part of this tale does not make sense. A dozen books being bid on does not make sense, i am sure there is a bit differing tale to the truth of this deal

sounds like something off eBay, doesn't matter,

it just has to be brought to my attention again, then my kids will take care of it, Kati being 29 now, William is 22 - both bright responsible adults now

Good seeing you again this year at Heroes Bob and meeting your son.

In my mind one of the true historians in the business.

Not so much interested in GPA for what some hot SA book sold for last month in 9.4 or buying, pressing and flipping some 9.4 to a 9.8, but someone who truly appreciates the artists, writers, businessmen and history of this uniquely American art form.

Bob set up behind me at Heroes a few years back, and it was a joy having him and his daughter as neighbors that weekend.

It's great seeing and talking to someone that loves the hobby as much as he does.

I hope you can get the hips fixed soon and get that comic history project finished.

:)

I picked up some fun books from Bob at WonderCon earlier this year, one was Our Gang with some Barks. A real pretty reader, and yes I read them!

Bob always has a great selection of books. Was it last year or the year before at SDCC that he had the Jerry Bail's All Stars? Man, I drooled over those for a long time.

Everyone should stop by and support Bob's booth and you can talk the history of comics while you are at it. A much nicer stop than many booths!

I picked up some fun books from Bob at WonderCon earlier this year, one was Our Gang with some Barks. A real pretty reader, and yes I read them!

Bob always has a great selection of books. Was it last year or the year before at SDCC that he had the Jerry Bail's All Stars? Man, I drooled over those for a long time.

Everyone should stop by and support Bob's booth and you can talk the history of comics while you are at it. A much nicer stop than many booths!

(thumbs u

(thumbs u

(thumbs u

A great guy and a true believer in the importance of the comic book. All the best from a collector you've seen and talked to for twenty years, always once a year at SD.

yeah, i had been gone 3 weeks to back to back shows, back in those earlier ebay days before PayPal - hard to do a 25-30 week out of town schedule back in the day as well as maintain proper eBay conduct,

once i got back, mailed you a check - you got it, cashed it, mailed the book

and when i got back from another show or two later on, there it was at the post office box along with many other purchases

and boy was that Action #101 beat worse than i thought it was going to be - ended up selling it less than i paid, oh, well........

lol - glad to see you remember it. I think I listed it as a Fair with bug chew. I remember thinking when I bought it that it was pretty ugly. For auctions back then (in '98 or '99 I think) I was putting up scans that were 150 dpi and 425 pixels wide. That's about the best you could get away with on dial-up back then or people would raise hell that your auctions took too long to load. For Golden Age I would put up front and back. I think the book closed in the $120 range with decent bidding... about double what I expected.

Anyway, my point was, the tone of your response was quite aggravating since it took you 3 weeks to get back to me. "I do this for a living and my time is more important that yours", is how it came off. But live and learn. I will say, however, I have never had a bad experience with you in a face to face transaction. :foryou:

So, here we are talking about this Action 101 from a decade ago, you acknowledging sub-prime pics from you for looking at when bidding - cool

Like i said then, will say it again, back then i was out of town more than i was in town, setting up at almost as many shows as Harley Yee then (him going out of country to England, Australia, etc), inbetween these shows researching arcane comics lore for my book, as well as bidding on all kinds of stuff on eBay back in the day

How you choose to interpret "tone" what i replied from being out on the road for stretches of time i cannot control, other than a little story......

- back in the day when Bud Plant and i were college-era room mates in San Jose, when John Barrett & I ran that first Berkeley Comic Art Shop at 2512 Telegraph Ave with Bud being the 3rd partner albeit full time business college major at San Jose State, he came home one day with a research project - taking a poll of our customers, a customer survey as it were

we devised all kinds of questions to ask based on what his prof wanted it to be able to produce - and we asked every customer to fill it out, so we could better figure out how to serve our customers, us being all of 21 years old at the time.

upshot of what the data said after Bud brought it back from being "processed" in his class by him, his fellow students, etc was comic book collectors as a general group are some of the most defensive persons on the face of the planet - and tend to over react.

Sounds like that is what you did to a tee - you fit the mold of the study, i do too, so does Bud, so did John Barrett - we being heavy collectors ourselves.

One of the little known secrets of the early lightning-success of Comics & Comix exploding into four store chain before our firm was even a year old expanding to San Francisco, San Jose, Sacramento by the end of summer 1973 - acquiring most of the Tom Reilly collection helped fer sure as we sold them - was taking this knowledge of comic book collectors being super defensive and applying business strategies to get them to shop with us on a steady basis.

A decade ago, back when we were all discovering how to make the internet work properly for us, i came back to 1800 emails to answer. That was difficult with my much smaller slower Mac trying to process. I kept data on those old zip-discs at the time - click death they went, salvaged what i could, keeping up with tech advances to improve the system.

Just plowing thru those took days, as new ones added in every day as well,

if i was brief and succinct, well, was disappointed in the book, no biggie, i have probably bought and sold more than 50 copies of that Superman key with Supes photog-ing a nuclear blast - one of the bar-none easiest Superman titles to sell being Action 101 - that was the lowest grade one i ever handled.

I can easily say apologies to every one who ever has had to wait for me while i sorted thru trying to keep track of sometimes 100s of deals happening at the same time - all the while going out of town to shows all over the USA - as there is one thing i love to do is be at a comics show flipping thru every one's boxes, buying up books - something i can not do until i get repaired. The sooner i accomplish that goal depends on how much i sell in the short term

If I'm not mistaken, Robert is scheduled for some serious surgery in India. He may be out of the country and unable to tend to his business right now. I recommend you do what you need to do via eBay and/or Paypal to protect your rights, but talk to him or whoever is tending his booth at SDCC about the situation also.

I am surely working as i can to get over to India to obtain much needed hip replacement operations.

John Jr got ahold of me, he thought i had been off the boards as a member for over a year and a half, would have PM'd me if he thought i would get it. Jogged my memory, refund was already in the mail once i got back, we got unloaded, and re-set up for mail order - then i could think of the other tasks at hand.

This was a deal off eBay - and a refund check for the couple sent back went into mail some days ago, it'll get there i am sure - i am not moving as fast as i once could, it was a few days after we got back from the (for us) very slow Charlotte show - I have to rethink the shows as we have a very long commute coming out of where we are located.

- all T-Man comics from Quality Comics Group - early 50s cold war CIA spy type stuff - one of my favorite 50s titles, these and Ken Shannons, so i am always trying to score these two titles along with the Police Comics crime anthologies just as much as the Jack Cole Plaz issues

- one or two books had been on eBay, a T-man 4 and 10 i believe

and we worked out a pile of other T-Mans off eBay based on his want list and my stack of a few dozen (some dups of course),

more lower grades, some being 3.5 or so if i remember correctly, which can have centers loose (but very much complete) in my grading levels - depending on what is going on with the rest of the book overall. Some times a center will pop in transit when layered in a stack of books being blasted around by the post office conveyor-belt systems, etc -

though we use 3/8 inch foam core both sides - way better than card board i think, with books secured by small tape to one side of one foam core board, then the other board placed firmly on top, then secured on all four sides my two inch wide packing tape - then that all goes inside large envelope

up shot is lower grades can have issues some times - that is why they are lower grades -

some people do not mind loose centerfolds as long as there is no writing on the covers

others hate any form of writing on covers, but do not want tape

some do not mind tape, but want the center attached

all in the eye of the beholder - i know i have my own nuances re what makes for eye appeal when i look at some comic book art -

robert

www.BLBcomics.com

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/public/default.asp?t=1&m=1&c=34&s=262&ai=81492

I hope you get well soon, Bob!

(thumbs u

Thanks a heap - encouragement always helps - i am not about ripping any one off

i have an annoying (hopefully) temporary disability which i am working 10-14 hours a day at trying to get repaired

- am not there yet to have the piranha come out on my stuff, though we are going to have two 8 foot tables in the San Diego booth devoted to major discounting, move em out, all kinds of stuff from the 40s 50s 60s and 70s - i have almost nothing from the 80s on up

www.BLBcomics.com

Jerry's All Stars are listed in my eBay store for sale - these were CGC'd, though CGC did damage All Star 7 and 8, and have never come to the table to do the right thing and have their insurance company buy them. Am none too pleased with CGC these days.

I approach my comics selling stock like i would want to be reading and collecting focusing more so on certain artists like Briefer, LB and Jack Cole Crandall, Ditko, Frazetta, Kubert, Boody Rogers, Severin, Williamson, Wolverton, and a host of other great talent

Am unable to compete with the "big boys" these days re super high grade keys, so i take a guerrilla-tactics approach - and when people flip thru my boxes you will discover cool vintage comics you might never have seen before -

hunting out last issues is a hoot - one year i supplied Overstreet with 31 last issues not known to have existed - most times much more difficult to locate than first issues, which tended to get over-bought in comparison

Having been one of the hosts for the very first Bay Area comicon back in April 1973, these days when i come back out for my yearly Wondercon expedition, it is like coming home, so many friends come up to say hi, some times employees who used to work for me make it, had one guy explain to his two sons that i had saved his life way back when, gave him his first job, got him off the streets, gave him a chance. That was a good day

And i am having good and bad days these days - all going to be repaired soon enough post San Diego, and i will get back in the game again

Here's a blast from the past... an actual bag I have from the 1970s. (thumbs u

And some light reading if you like comics history...

http://kleefeldoncomics.blogspot.com/2008/03/buy-robert-beerbohms-comics.html

Comics-and-Comix-bag.jpg

Heck, i still remember John Barrett and I taking the Comics & Comix logo art to the printer to get those bags made up - we were really proud of this London company logo he made for us - we paid him well for it also, it surpassing what we thought we were going to get - he got carried away with the art he produced, saying it was a good challenge to make work well

would love to get one back again from some one - would even trade some vintage comic book (now, not tooo much, please!) to reach that want list goal - i wonder how many of these bags still exist - we gave out many thousands of them with purchases

www.BLBcomics.com

(thumbs u

(thumbs u (thumbs u back at you

I feel i offer nice comics at mostly fair prices - and one can always negotiate me down on a stack of stuff - all one has to do is ask

I'm having a boring 4th, so keep those long rambling posts coming (thumbs u