• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about BLBcomics / Robert Beerbohm

167 posts in this topic

My dad is having a hard time getting a refund after an eBay purchase from this guy.

Bought about a dozen books but returned a few of them due to significant overgrading and loose centerfolds (despite being assured before bidding centerfolds were intact).

He agreed to the returns and got the books back almost immediately after purchase. He ignores any e-mail that does not threaten to escalate the issue through feedback and eBay's help. He has at least three times said the check is on the way.

Beerbohm is a fairly large dealer - he has a booth at San Diego this year - and so it has been odd. Has anyone else had problems or a reason the man has been unable to follow through.

He is a board member, but hasn't posted in a year and a half. I am sure I will get the money when discussing the issue in person in San Diego while he is trying to make a sale, however I'd rather just enjoy the SDCC.

Robert was raising money to have his knees redone. I don't know whether this has happened yet or not but he was going to go over to Asia to have the operation done so he maybe out of town. Just a thought.

R.

If I'm not mistaken, Robert is scheduled for some serious surgery in India. He may be out of the country and unable to tend to his business right now. I recommend you do what you need to do via eBay and/or Paypal to protect your rights, but talk to him or whoever is tending his booth at SDCC about the situation also.

Robert was raising money to have his knees redone. I don't know whether this has happened yet or not but he was going to go over to Asia to have the operation done so he maybe out of town. Just a thought.

R.

Hip and no.

He has been traveling alot and said there were some problems, but the reason for not sending the money was always that he was busy or forgot.

He will ignore messages for days, but respond within hours when threatened and then always says the money is on the way that day.

My Dad lives in the Old World where he still prefers to sends checks. He has a PayPal account, but doesn't often use it. With Robert, he sent a check. He is lucky that he has some kind of recourse.

R.

Hip and no.

(thumbs u

Wrong joint, same idea.

I know in NYC he had not done it yet.

R.

I had a similar experience with Bob a few years back. I bought one, very much overgraded book from him on E-Bay. It was a hard to find book, not too expensive,

and I knew of him from conventions so assumed I was safe. I wanted to keep the book and he agreed to a small price adjustment. After many status inquires he finally came through. All I can say is don't give up, keep up the inquires.

FYI, I had the book CGC graded. BLB grade VF, CGC grade 5.0 . He is a good guy but the classic example of an old timer that insists he knows how to grade.

R.

Saw him a couple of weeks back in Charlotte and can confirm it has not happened yet.

My only non-face to face transaction with Bob was a mess. He bought a beater Action 101 from me on eBay. Over the course of 3 weeks I sent him several invoices and a bunch of emails. Only after I threatened negative feedback (back in the day when you could do that and it meant something) did he respond with some BS like, "Hey, backoff. It's convention season and I'm really busy." After another week or so a check arrived.

So, since then it's only been face to face stuff. He seems to never be in a hurry when it comes to parting with money.

Beerbohm isn't a bad guy, but he has a somewhat checkered reputation when it comes to money...especially refunds. Was it Buttock who had that huge dustup with him awhile back over a refund? I can't remember.

Cash only, face-to-face.

It's funny how we all develop the same attitude with certain dealers. Bob has books that others don't stock but the face-to-face interact need comes from his volatitlity when it comes to grading ...

Cash only, face-to-face.

It's funny how we all develop the same attitude with certain dealers. Bob has books that others don't stock but the face-to-face interact need comes from his volatitlity when it comes to grading ...

Volatility is a good term. Can be a couple of grades off in either direction.

He is a board member, but hasn't posted in a year and a half.

Check again... he has posted 14 times this year , the last post being June 19th.

I remember him chiming in on Flee's Obadiah production.

Nope, wasn't me, but I know too many people for whom this is the story. Cash only, face-to-face. Keep after him PokerKid.

My bad. It was Rocketeer ......and others.

...look up sleazy comic book dealer in the dictionary and there is a picture of Beerbohn,...

Am glad i decided to come up onto the boards today to see if Flea had posted more about the origins of Obadiah oldbuck - my first time on the boards for months.

- friend Steve Meyer had forwarded the URL whilst i was away to Heroescon a week or two back - my son had flown in from LA area, he and another teenager did the driving and the load in & out - i can't work my own stuff any more like i had been for decades. not until i get repaired

- had internet access one night while there, thanks Steve for sending - thought it to be well done downright funny - my compliments to the genius of Flea M

- been away from the boards for a while working such as i can still on stocking my ebay store and web site as i figure out how to maintain equilibrium in this hobby in a downsizing economy

- seems the hobby is leaning more towards certified books, the conversations almost solely on cover artists, sometimes cool back covers and spine bends -:)

As the hobby got obsessed with spine bends,

i pointed out "ya-but, what about white paper...." -:)

Me, my focus is more on what is between the covers so to speak

My oldest daughter already has moved back here, my son William is in the process,

to take over running the "family" business. Got half a million dollars worth of vintage comics stuff here, i cannot do the work any more, not until i get repaired

I am barely walking now, on two canes to keep the upper body weight off, which is why i have not been setting up at the 25-30 shows a year had been maintaining.

Then i might be gone on the road for 2 to 3 week ends doing shows back-to-back on on either coast, away from HQ contact or emails, etc - no laptop

- back when i was still doing full color paper catalogs printed down at my local newspaper -

it was hectic, but had the strength to keep on top of it sorting out letters which have now all evolved into emails in the main - and sometimes those do not get thru spam filters,

plus all the comics business history research i was doing all over the country working on my magnum opus to tell the entire story

The constant throb of pain from the broken hip joints now is becoming unbearable at times, and has been so since summer 2006 when the hips actually broke inside their sockets, leaving bone on bone from where cartilage was crushed from being a passenger in a van accident coming out of Houstoncon 1973, headed for Dallascon before Bud Plant, Swan, Terry Stroud and myself were going on to Seuling New York City Comicon July 4th week end, causing me to forget some tasks i need to accomplish - like maybe getting a refund check mailed out - please forward particulars

I can and do apologize for the inconvenience and consternation this causes when one side drops the ball -

- there are tasks i think i have done, but not sure sometimes,

or forget as i have been sinking the past year or two, trying to run most aspects of the assembly line of a comics business pretty much by myself, with occasional help

Can hardly stand up these days, definitely cannot lift a comic book box,

but the cavalry arrived, my kids are getting involved with this stuff plus a 22 year old named Jake i hired to package up all orders and keep on top of who dun what to whom until each deal is done and accepted.

So, if you are interested in becoming part of my solution, then go to my eBay store and make me a reasonable offer if you see something you like, new stuff going up every day as it gets scanned, sized in photo shop, hoisted to Auctiva, then placed into the ebay store as well as our slowly filling web site

I have not read thru all this thread yet - was wondering when something like this was going to appear as i battled to keep putting fingers in the dyke, as it were, telling my kids i can;t keep up the pace any more by myself, not till i get repaired

So, if there are any loose ends in need of repair, i would appreciate hearing from you. Been in this hobby turned biz a long time - a hobby which got out of hand a long time ago

My body is giving out, folks - it had been a good friend, now i got to get it into the shop, replace some of the suspension

re my grading - some times i have gotten books in trade from others at a show, never looking inside, trusting the grades from others - other times i just blow it just like every one else, including CGC, has done

- i once took a CGC 5.5 Fine Action in the 130s in trade from a fellow at a Kansas City comics show which, when i looked at it sideways in its slab, had a two inch spine split - needless to say, i ended up selling it for below VG, as that was all it was at best, VG-

Anyway, here i am, always have been at my HQ - i get started on a task, get side tracked sometimes with flurries of phone calls some days, etc - but no excuses, let's fix what we can fix

if you are at all interested in helping me get back in the game - please buy a book from me

thanks for reading - maybe this thread is a good thing.

Once i get repaired, i want to finish my comics history book - a lot of stuff in there, was working on it for a decade building its 160 year story. The stuff in Overstreet since #27 1997 every year since, plus in Comic Book Marketplace, Comic Book Artist, Jack Kirby Collector, etc is just a teaser.

Come by my booth at San Diego 5314 right at the entrance to the Gold Pavilion, say hi, intro yourself, and if you find something inside my booth, i will give you a good deal on the stack, help me make true my dream of repairing these damages hip joints - please, no piranha -:)

I am one of a few remaining dinosaurs who have sold at every San Diego Comicon since its inception in 1970. This is the 41st Comicon, the 40th Anniversary. I think just Bud Plant, Steve Schanes, and Terry Stroud are the only other comics people who can say they have sold there every year since #1.

best

robert beerbohm

Robert Beerbohm Comic Art

PO Box 507 Fremont NE 68026

www.BLBcomics.com

eBaystore: BLB COMICS

ComicConnect http://www.comicconnect.com/?surl=19464

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/public/default.asp?t=1&m=1&c=34&s=262&ai=81492

01 402 727 4071 mostly 9 AM to 6 PM daily - Or Leave a message

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYyttEu_NLU&feature=relateß