• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Manufactured Gold

2,576 posts in this topic

Keep in mind that the identity of the trimmer ( I don't believe Ewert did the work himself) has never been pursued. This has always raised a giant red flag for me. It leads me to believe that the one doing the actual trimming is known to CGC.

Just my opinion of course....

I don't know if you're right or wrong about this (I have often wondered the same thing), but I wouldn't put it past him to be able to do it himself. It's not rocket science; it's just shaving a sliver from the edge of a piece of paper.

Keep in mind that the identity of the trimmer ( I don't believe Ewert did the work himself) has never been pursued. This has always raised a giant red flag for me. It leads me to believe that the one doing the actual trimming is known to CGC.

893whatthe.gif Chris.. keep it down man.. you'll get a strike tongue.gif

We do not know who trimmed those books.

Fair enough Steve. May I ask why there seems to be absolutely no attempt to find out? confused.gifconfused.gif

I don't know if you're right or wrong about this (I have often wondered the same thing), but I wouldn't put it past him to be able to do it himself. It's not rocket science; it's just shaving a sliver from the edge of a piece of paper.

To the best of my knowledge, Ewert didn't press his own books either. Can't imagine that he would have the skills for micro-trimming.....but would commission someone else in the use of a tack iron. confused-smiley-013.gif

Fair enough Steve. May I ask why there seems to be absolutely no attempt to find out? confused.gifconfused.gif

As far as I knew, there was a lawsuit happening. That said, from what Scott has told me, no one would step forward to start the suit. So, that is the end of the story. Truth to tell, it is more important to me that it has stopped, then who did it.

As far as I knew, there was a lawsuit happening. That said, from what Scott has told me, no one would step forward to start the suit. So, that is the end of the story. Truth to tell, it is more important to me that it has stopped, then who did it.

If Ewert wasn't trimming the books himself....what makes you think the practice has stopped? Busting the local crack house doesn't stop the production of crack.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I don't see how one can assume the trimmer is no longer trimming.

To the best of my knowledge, Ewert didn't press his own books either. Can't imagine that he would have the skills for micro-trimming.....but would commission someone else in the use of a tack iron. confused-smiley-013.gif

Serious question here, Chris -- assuming that you were someone who would trim and press comics (I know you're not, so just try to put yourself into the position of someone who would), if you could figure out how to do it yourself with good results, would you pay someone to do it for you?

If Ewert wasn't trimming the books himself....what makes you think the practice has stopped? Busting the local crack house doesn't stop the production of crack.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I don't see how one can assume the trimmer is no longer trimming.

Now that we know how to detect that kind of trimming, we have seen very little of that sort of trimming come through here.

I think you should have the nod look into it....... devil.gif

Serious question here, Chris -- assuming that you were someone who would trim and press comics (I know you're not, so just try to put yourself into the position of someone who would), if you could figure out how to do it yourself with good results, would you pay someone to do it for you?

That's why I'm confused. As I said.....I believe Ewert commisioned someone else to press his books. This tells me he doesn't have the skills to do it himself. If CGC doesn't know who the trimmer is....that tells me that it wasn't Ewert.

Just trying to get my head around all this. Rather than ban Ewert from the hobby...why not get him to out the trimmer? confused.gif

Now that we know how to detect that kind of trimming, we have seen very little of that sort of trimming come through here.

I think you should have the nod look into it....... devil.gif

Paging Esquire..... popcorn.gif

I don't know why you are raising this question.

It's either Trimmer X or Trimmer Y according to Hammer.

Care to elaborate? I haven't been following Hammer's latest rants....

In past messageboard posts on STL and elsewhere, Hammer claimed there were various paper "mechanics" operating and he could identify them by their unique trimming signatures. He would reference the work of "Trimmer X, " Trimmer Y", etc. Very cloak and daggar type stuff.

Bob's post made me laugh. grin.gif