• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
13 13

7,061 posts in this topic

I hope I dont get any tomatoes, but I did liked the Green Lantern movie more than X-Men 1st Class

Just saw it today and thought it was terrible. It is getting the critical pans and poor box office that it deserves.

My opinion doesn`t matter, nor does that of anyone on these boards who has posted glowing or critical reviews. The box office gross of the movie offers objective criteria whether it is a success or not, and what it`s saying is that the movie is a failure. I think the odds of another GL movie and the creation of a GL franchise look pretty slim at the moment.

The thing about Gold is, as I've mentioned before, is that despite it being scarce, I could care less about owning most of it or not, scarcity and all. The covers are cool on some of the books, and I like the early Batman/Tec/Action/Superman, some Timelys (Schomburg) and some of the weird esoteric stuff. But for the most, I think most of it is really schlock. I have no connection to it and identify with none of the characters beyond the main ones.

I think old books that have great preservation are unique in their own right, but even though there's lots more SA to come out, I think the current market is better prepared to absorb it. As the core GA collectors get older, I see fewer and fewer deep pocketed collectors having much interest beyond the truly core stuff.

and yet it seems year after year, more and more "new" and "former" sa collectors move to gold (shrug)

Enh. I think that's more "hype" than anything else. There's a small pool of folks who move over to collect "the best". I don't see many see Captain Marvel collectors. To me, the vast majority of GA is going the way of Westerns etc.

It's inflated in the guide overall, and even most of the non key mid range books of the major titles have shown little interest or movement in sales.

Sure, some guys move to Timelys etc. But new folks entering in the market are generally going to SA/BA for vintage, not Gold.

And I think the real question isn't why some people move over, but why more people aren't collecting Gold at all.

There aren't "more and more" folks moving over. There are some, but nearly enough interest to support the vast majority of material which exists out there.

matter of perspective, I guess...I see far more GA collectors approaching me at shows and inquiring about books than ever before...

and I hear the "I used to collect spider-man" or whatever... that said, it is a matter, as mentioned, of perspective... will AF 15 demand always be greater than most any GA book... sure... will the affodability factor of most SA and BA keep a "majority" of collectors buying that genre...likely....

but, I see more former SA collectors asking about Gold, PM'ing me, etc etc, that is looks plenty bright imo...

and no one has collected captain marvel in a decade plus lol

It's been typical for a couple decades that a large chunk of GA collectors get there after migrating from SA. The larger number of collectors and new entrants to the hobby is definitely SA/BA so if you don't have a GA focus you might not notice the subsequent migration.

You need only spend a few minutes in this thread to realize that collecting in most every era is focused on only a portion of what was published. http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4712043#Post4712043

As far as SA affordability vs. GA, this was discussed recently in GA. It's not quite as simple as popular sentiment would have it. http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4846446&fpart=1

The thing about Gold is, as I've mentioned before, is that despite it being scarce, I could care less about owning most of it or not, scarcity and all. The covers are cool on some of the books, and I like the early Batman/Tec/Action/Superman, some Timelys (Schomburg) and some of the weird esoteric stuff. But for the most, I think most of it is really schlock. I have no connection to it and identify with none of the characters beyond the main ones.

I think old books that have great preservation are unique in their own right, but even though there's lots more SA to come out, I think the current market is better prepared to absorb it. As the core GA collectors get older, I see fewer and fewer deep pocketed collectors having much interest beyond the truly core stuff.

and yet it seems year after year, more and more "new" and "former" sa collectors move to gold (shrug)

Enh. I think that's more "hype" than anything else. There's a small pool of folks who move over to collect "the best". I don't see many see Captain Marvel collectors. To me, the vast majority of GA is going the way of Westerns etc.

It's inflated in the guide overall, and even most of the non key mid range books of the major titles have shown little interest or movement in sales.

Sure, some guys move to Timelys etc. But new folks entering in the market are generally going to SA/BA for vintage, not Gold.

And I think the real question isn't why some people move over, but why more people aren't collecting Gold at all.

There aren't "more and more" folks moving over. There are some, but nearly enough interest to support the vast majority of material which exists out there.

matter of perspective, I guess...I see far more GA collectors approaching me at shows and inquiring about books than ever before...

and I hear the "I used to collect spider-man" or whatever... that said, it is a matter, as mentioned, of perspective... will AF 15 demand always be greater than most any GA book... sure... will the affodability factor of most SA and BA keep a "majority" of collectors buying that genre...likely....

but, I see more former SA collectors asking about Gold, PM'ing me, etc etc, that is looks plenty bright imo...

It's been typical for a couple decades that a large chunk of GA collectors get there after migrating from SA. The larger number of collectors and new entrants to the hobby is definitely SA/BA so if you don't have a GA focus you might not notice the subsequent migration.

You need only spend a few minutes in this thread to realize that collecting in most every era is focused on only a portion of what was published. http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4712043#Post4712043

As far as SA affordability vs. GA, this was discussed recently in GA. It's not quite as simple as popular sentiment would have it. http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4846446&fpart=1

It will always be a paramount challenge to sway a Spidey lover to a Bat or Supe lover. I mean, that's what we're saying.

:cloud9:

It will always be a paramount challenge to sway a Spidey lover to a Bat or Supe lover. I mean, that's what you're saying.

Spidey's big right now but X-men was the prior hot title for quite a while so I'm not being specific about what focus the person is coming from or what focus they may have should they start collecting GA. On the Boards here you had cgcworld switch to Timelys and cheetah add GA Fiction House and horror to his nonpareil Avengers collection.

It will always be a paramount challenge to sway a Spidey lover to a Bat or Supe lover. I mean, that's what you're saying.

I went from a Marvel Zombie Spidey and X-Men fanboy to an enlightened Batman fanboy. Now I would say that I am a Neal Adams fanboy.

FWIW, I am have been in that BA/SA to GA transition phase for a couple of years now. I had an aborted switch a couple of years ago (sold off my GA books for an investment opportunity during the bottoming in 2009), but now I am going to slowly make the shift. It will require more patience, unfortunately, since the books I like are pricey right now, but it will hopefully help to restoke the collecting passion that I am finding is waning for me now.

My opinion doesn`t matter, nor does that of anyone on these boards who has posted glowing or critical reviews. The box office gross of the movie offers objective criteria whether it is a success or not, and what it`s saying is that the movie is a failure. I think the odds of another GL movie and the creation of a GL franchise look pretty slim at the moment.

Regardless of the outcome...Green Lantern is more well known to the world.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

I went from a Marvel Zombie Spidey and X-Men fanboy to an enlightened Batman fanboy. Now I would say that I am a Neal Adams fanboy.

FWIW, I am have been in that BA/SA to GA transition phase for a couple of years now. I had an aborted switch a couple of years ago (sold off my GA books for an investment opportunity during the bottoming in 2009), but now I am going to slowly make the shift. It will require more patience, unfortunately, since the books I like are pricey right now, but it will hopefully help to restoke the collecting passion that I am finding is waning for me now.

I wouldn't wait to long on a GA grail book. I learned it the hard way. doh! I grew up collecting SA, and always will have certain books in my collection from that era. Not going all GA...but love to have a few more grails from that era.

This is true. And Showcase 22 and GL 1 will still be worth much more after the post-movie speculation dust settles than before the movie speculation started.

I wouldn't wait to long on a GA grail book. I learned it the hard way. doh! I grew up collecting SA, and always will have certain books in my collection from that era. Not going all GA...but love to have a few more grails from that era.

I already own almost all the Bronze keys,once I get all the Silver keys(not far from that either) I would like to make that jump to Golden Age books,and from there WORLD DOMINATION HAHAHAHhahahahahBwaaaaaahahaha!

EVIL.jpg

(thumbs u

Theatrical Performance (shrug)

Total US Gross $89,311,000

International Gross $21,800,000

Worldwide Gross $111,111,000

The only snag is that this total isn't even enough to make up for the amount spent on advertising ($125mil) let alone the production costs. With a 65% drop off this past weekend, it's probably going to take a long, long time for GL to break even let alone crack a profit.

The only snag is that this total isn't even enough to make up for the amount spent on advertising ($125mil) let alone the production costs. With a 65% drop off this past weekend, it's probably going to take a long, long time for GL to break even let alone crack a profit.

I know it's lackluster, I was just curious how it did this week and so I posted what I had discovered.

how many overseas markets are in that 21 million? if its ALL of them, whoops. but unlike some other recent films, GL may be planning a slower rollout.

Aman, you were correct. DC can't generate the Marvel flick wave. (thumbs u

I know it's lackluster, I was just curious how it did this week and so I posted what I had discovered.

Gotcha. Yeah, the only figure I recall was the 65% drop off in the US (I believe) from the opening weekend. So that would be, what, another $35-36 million (using $55 mil from the opening weekend as the base)?