• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
13 13

7,061 posts in this topic

Now that this film is officially a flop, I wonder what the impact will be on this book?

The movie ain't out a day and you ordain it a flop. Man, there sure are a lot of optimists here :P

22 on rotten tomatoes, 40 on metacritic. it's a critical flop. based on midnight screenings, the estimates for opening weekend domestic are $55-60mm. as the noted sage JC stated many years ago, a studio can buy a big opening weekend by flooding the market with advertising. horrible word of mouth will result in domestic BO dropping like a stone. the thing reportedly cost $300mm for production and advertising. Int'l BO will have to be $400mm+ for the movie to break even. i don't think anyone's going out on a limb to call it a flop.

Wait until the final tally before declaring it a flop. Look at the Hangover 2, as an example. It has a low Tomatoes score, but last time I checked it is outdoing Thor and X-Men 1st Class by a long shot.

I bet Green Lantern will do bigger box office than both Thor and X-men First Class each did.

Like I said in another thread, there are a lot of haters for this Green Lantern picture and I don`t know why? hm

maybe because according to 3/4's of the professional movie reviewers, they made a pile of poo

Doesn't matter what the "critics" think. The Hangover 2 and Pirates 4 both had low Tomatoes scores and if GL does close to Pirates 4's box office numbers then Warner Bros will greenlight 2 sequels, not just one. (thumbs u

The flick is fantastic. My fam watched it in 3D and it is amazing. The best S-hero flick I've ever seen IMO and I am a Spidey lover. Special effects get an A+. DC & Warner did a great job of creating a "human side" and a "galactic warrior side" of Hal.

Go see it in 3-D to get the best screen impact. (thumbs u :applause:

I saw it tonight with my sons, at a packed theater on 42nd street, and we all loved it :golfclap:

It was entertaining, well done, and Ryan Reynolds was not bad as Hal Jordan.

He's the spitting image of him. It's a story about a comic superhero, not Hamlet.

Can't wait to see it again on Sunday.

Absolutely well done! :applause: Love it. :luhv: I agree, Ryan Reynolds is da-man for the part. Green Lantern is a great start for more DC movies. Going again and can't wait for the sequel for a bad arsh Sinestro. :headbang:

Edited by showcase22gr1959

But. But. But. The reviews were awful!..!!!??

; )

They watched the movie thru green colored glasses :)

Glad you guys enjoyed it since yours are the only opinions that matters with regards to all things GL

It will be interesting to see what happens with this flick over the long haul. As word of mouth spreads that it was good it should have staying power and do well. (thumbs u

Please let it hit Pirates 4 box office numbers when all is said and done........... :wishluck:

I just got back from seeing it in 2-D. It was a decent movie, not as good as some of the over achievers in the genre like DARK KNIGHT or XMEN FIRST CLASS, but definitely worth seeing. I think one of the problems many critics have with it is that is completely unsophisticated. It's very much like a Silver Age DC comic book, with cornball dialogue. And, despite the huge budget, the scenes of SPOILERS

crowds running in terror from Parallex look like something out of a fifties sci-fi flick(but with modern special effects). These elements were a plus for me, as I love fifties sci-fi and also SA DC. If you like that kind of stuff, you'll definitely get some enjoyment out of this flick.

Spot on. IMO, the movie was not as "dark" as those other 2 movies you sited and a lot of the Superhero movies in general.

I think DC may be trying to attract the younger demographic and also snag us boomers that grew up with this stuff.

Hal Jordan is a great character, especially the current modern version as written by Geoff Johns. That said this movie is a complete flop. :sorry:

Hal Jordan is a great character, especially the current modern version as written by Geoff Johns. That said this movie is a complete flop. :sorry:

Not so good, eh? I'll probably wait til it hits Netflix then.

:screwy:

you don't like Geoff Johns' writing?

:screwy::screwy:

Both the wife and I enjoyed it. Saw it in a packed UltraAVX 3D theater and the effects were very impressive. The story had it's moments but was far from perfect. Fun nevertheless!