• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why would you send this to PGX and not CGC?

15 posts in this topic

Who is "Betty's Place"? I live in St. Louis and I've never been there.

If they have books like this, I want to go. rantrant

My LCS uses PGX strictly because of time and cost. At surface level, I get it; however, I have tried to explain some of the problems surrounding PGX's brand name and that CGC's brand is much more reputable amongst slab collectors.

UNFORTUNATELY, the recession has made buying new collections a bit more of a gamble, so there are any new books coming that he'd be looking to slab anyhow (as he's primarily a sports memorabilia store).

But I concur: this seller could have truly maximized his value if he would have sent it to the boys 'n gals down in Sarasota.

Well it is a record..so it was pressed! hm

It was subbed in early '07. Maybe word hadn't reached St. Louis yet

St. Louis is the gateway to the West. Oregon would be in the bottom of the Pacific if it wasn't for St. Louis. :sumo:

Probably just wanted it slab for cheap. (shrug)
I did that too, now I'm ticked I did it to begin with. :frustrated: but back then I didn't have a clue about the history either.

My LCS uses PGX strictly because of time and cost. At surface level, I get it; however, I have tried to explain some of the problems surrounding PGX's brand name and that CGC's brand is much more reputable amongst slab collectors.

UNFORTUNATELY, the recession has made buying new collections a bit more of a gamble, so there are any new books coming that he'd be looking to slab anyhow (as he's primarily a sports memorabilia store).

But I concur: this seller could have truly maximized his value if he would have sent it to the boys 'n gals down in Sarasota.

Same thing with the shop here.Ive tried to explain but he just doesnt get it.

Classic statement.I got over book for the famous funnies under 40

Probably just wanted it slab for cheap. (shrug)
I did that too, now I'm ticked I did it to begin with. :frustrated: but back then I didn't have a clue about the history either.

Ditto... and now I'm slowly re-subing them all to CGC.... tried to save $$$ but wound up just waisting it.

I'm not going to lie a few months ago when i made the choice to get back into the comic game and get my 1st group of comics graded one shop told me to use PGX because i could get more books done for the same price then at CGC and on top of that the turn around was faster...but i know like everything else you get what you pay for so i did a little bit more looking into the subject and talked to the guys/girls at bedrockcity here in Houston and it was clear why i should go with CGC and granted i only gotten 2 of my 12 books back but im really happy with my choice

so i can see how someone could go that way if not really explain the pros/cons