• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Marvel Picture Frame books
22 22

4,788 posts in this topic

Being a "noob" on this site, and, in an attempt to "keep up with the Joneses", I've decided to throw this one out there to contribute to this interesting thread:

Awesome looking books, interesting thread concept! I salute you, guys & gals! :golfclap:

Thanks for posting!

Amazing Adventures #12 is a fantastic book.

And it's another magnum opus done by Gil "The Picture-Frame" Kane.

Ya know, those yellow PFs are a sight to behold.

Much like the black ones, the yellows are in a class by themselves.

The Bullpen nailed the marketing concept with that four-color approach.

Contrasting colors on a yellow background snap the action to attention when deployed in a PF layout.

KCO-157a.jpg

MF-2.jpg

DD-83.jpg

(thumbs u

Cap150sale.jpg

Nice yellows!

I really dig the cover of CA#150.

It expresses dramatization drawn the Marvel way.

The powerful and dramatic stance of the Stranger is imposing.

And the Kane Frame with Romita Embellishment accentuates a feeling of forthcoming action.

:applause:

:gossip: I have no idea if CGC corrected this or not, but that's not the Stranger.

You get a No-Prize for that one, Joe!

Jakar's impersonation of the Stranger even had yours truly fooled. shocked.gif

no-prize.jpg

:gossip: I have no idea if CGC corrected this or not, but that's not the Stranger.

Jakar's impersonation of the Stranger even had yours truly fooled.

Hey, I go back to the days when people actually *read* comics and didn't just treat them like pork bellies.

Jakar's impersonation of the Stranger even had yours truly fooled.

Hey, I go back to the days when people actually *read* comics and didn't just treat them like pork bellies.

Okay, pork belly prices have been dropping all morning, which means that everybody is waiting for it to hit rock bottom, so they can buy low. Which means that the people who own the pork belly contracts are saying, "Hey, we're losing all our damn money, and Christmas is around the corner, and I ain't gonna have no money to buy my son the G.I. Joe with the kung-fu grip! And my wife ain't gonna f... my wife ain't gonna make love to me if I got no money!" So they're panicking right now, they're screaming "SELL! SELL!" to get out before the price keeps dropping. They're panicking out there right now, I can feel it. :banana:

For whatever reason, it looks like most of the PF Two-Gun Kids are hard to find. 102, 103, 105, 106 all don't have any 9.0+ copies listed in the census. For all 7 books combined, there's one 9.0, one 9.8, one 9.6, and one 9.0.

Interesting piece of data, GT.

And the point is clearly emphasized with an illustration.

Incidentally, after a bit of digging, the only PF copy of TGK that I have is pictured below...

tgk_pfcensus.gif

Two-Gun Kid (1971 to 1972) - census dated 08/30/2010

TGK-104.jpg

And from cgcworld (Thanks, Jim!):

MTA3.jpg

MarvelsGreatestComics36.jpg

MarvelTales35.jpg

All three of those books constitute the very first post of this thread, so they don't count :baiting:

Just got two black picture frames in today that were Nik's actual copies :cloud9:

Jim

Edited by cgcworld

Finding nice HG Pictureframes on the cheap is a lot easier then it used to be...when I have a spare moment, I'll be sure to scan and show the 20 or so I've been able to acquire recently.

Market maker. ;)

showoff. :grin:

I have to. This thread is the only place in the world where somebody might appreciate how hard it is to find a non-reprint super-hero book from 1972 in high grade.

There some other tough Thors from this era. Although they're not as hard to find in 9.4+ as #198. It took me a long time to find 9.6 copies of #195, 197, 204 & 205. I'm still looking for a #206. Iron Man #44 is another oddly tough super-hero book.

I can understand it when Millie the Model and Li'l Pals are hard to find in high grade. But it's surprising for a mainstream super-hero book from 1972.

Haven't visited this thread in a while nice Thor's 198 is a toughie and it took me quite some time for a HG 206 - though I still think that X-Men 79 in 9.4 is the Maltese falcon of Picture Frames.

Did Gil Kane draw every PF Cover? Man just seeing them all he was busy in the early 70s.

Nice stuff Jim, I love the DD copy. Here's my latest pick ups:

T201cgc96RockyMtn.jpg

sm46cgc96tn.jpg

and because one is never enough:

sub4694.jpg

Western Penn copy:

DD_89_WestPenn.jpg

IM46cgc94.jpg

IM51cgc96tnc.jpg

Hey I thought you were GA only these days, get outta by BA back yard :baiting: If you every feel the urge to move the DD 89 WP lemme know as I own a bunch of the WP DDs. It'll stay with the country, if not in the country. :hi:

Hope all is well

Jason

Jason I'm still collecting GA books but have focused on building a nice BA set inbetween the expensive purchases and its been a ton of fun. I crack out most of my books including the BA stuff so its great to flip through high grade issues of my favorite books that I grew up with as a kid. (thumbs u

Speaking of Marvel Westerns, fresh from CGC:

OutlawKid10a.jpg

Simply awesome stuff, GT!

I always found the Kane Cover of OK#10 to be super cool.

The way the Kid holds and works those dual pistols is captivating.

Kane had a way with drawing the hands of his characters.

Given the dynamics available with picture frame employment,

he was able to convey a sense of power, agility and surprise to drive the drama.

Western Gunfighters #11 is another characteristic Kane example of this artistic methodology.

The pistoleer in the foreground appears stunned by surprise, and his hands help to underscore the emotion.

WG-11_9-8.jpg