• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Marvel Picture Frame books
23 23

4,796 posts in this topic

Okay… 113.

It had been so long since I read this issue that it was like reading it for the first time.

There were some great fights between Spidey and Doc Ock. A more recent storyline (ASM 600) revealed that Doctor Octopus had suffered repetitive brain trauma thanks to his fights with super-heroes (but mostly Spidey) over the years.

DocOckBrainTrauma.thumb.jpeg.9a6f164e6da457f9503768b968165db7.jpeg

Even though Spider-man was sickly and weakened in this fight, and clearly the underdog, that story leapt to mind as Spidey finally got the upper hand.

DocOckSock1!.thumb.jpeg.9db2ec34c3f49da1c6ad5137f633bdf4.jpeg

DocOckSock2!.jpeg.c2caaf4e56484593eb935a7f77f3770f.jpeg

The second best reveal of this issue: First appearance of Hammerhead, the perennial C-list villain who will show up in almost every subsequent gangland story. (No, not Tombstone. The other one. No, not Silvermane…)

HammerheadandWaldo.thumb.jpeg.68187c7bdf22ce7517e455e9499580a3.jpeg

(I'm sorry, but I will maintain that you haven't really made it if your man-servant is named "Waldo"...)

Best reveal of this issue: The real reason Spider-man is so weak is because he has given himself an ulcer with all his fretting. Three issues in and Gerry Conway proves he knows how to write a Spider-man story.

PetersUlcer.thumb.jpeg.6352dcd27958e9b64661da86c7027d14.jpeg

Those are two very sweet books, Mahan. You won't get any argument from me, ASM #113 is definitely a Picture Frame book.

It's wild to think that Gerry Conway was just 19 years old when he started writing ASM. His stories still reverberate 50-some years later.