• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Marvel Picture Frame books
23 23

4,796 posts in this topic

On 4/23/2023 at 7:33 AM, namisgr said:

More Picture Frame trivia, the Marvel 'Circle 20' picture frames.

At the end of 1971, when Marvel transitioned their books from giants back to regular size and the cover prices from 25 to 20 cents, the latter was placed in a circle for one month only.  Most 'circle 20s', but not all, have December, 1971 cover dates.  Afterwards, the cover price was designed into a box as part of the Marvel Comics Group banner, where it would stay for the remainder of the picture frame design era.

DD82.thumb.jpg.f624ffebceb73838492e1ee1e0b82a1b.jpg

Another thing worth mentioning, is that the actual MCG Banner itself debuted with the 25c PFs.

One other tidbit I stumbled across this week that I think this group would be interested in. This is a brief exchange between Jon B. Cooke and John Romita from an interview in TwoMorrows' Comic Book Artist #6. 

CBA: The cover designs of Marvel Comics in the early '70s conformed to the same rigid format. There suddenly was just a square for an illustration with the title of the story underneath, with a lot of verbiage around. Do you remember this really locked-in design when Gil did most of the covers?

John: We did it for about a year, with a margin in it. They were looking to stand out from the rest of the crowd. I think Roy was involved. I think Gil might've designed it. I don't remember how much input I had on it; all I remember—that may have been when I was doing special projects.

On 5/18/2023 at 2:02 AM, LordRahl said:

This thread won't be the same without you Thomas. RIP brother!

Quoted for truth.

It's been quiet.  So here's an oddity for the genre, a cover by Gil Kane, who's normally outstanding with anatomy and form, in which Spidey's left leg looks like it may have an extra joint and appears too long.

MTU4.thumb.jpg.23e5bc3ccc45df07905d117484550ed3.jpg