• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,915 posts in this topic

On 9/14/2021 at 4:12 PM, littledoom said:

I was biking on my way home and for the heck of it I decided to stop by a poorly run video game store that had some comics. I had bought around 20 comics for $2 each 2 years ago at this place. They were mainly $20-40 vintage keys. This time around the organization was way worse as the comics were in a dark lit corner with no fan/ventilation/AC... mind you it was around 90 degrees. So I spend around 2 hours looking through maybe 50 boxes that no one has been through for years. (Probably since I was last there lol.) Some comics are in dilapidated tubs, upside down, backwards, and in boxes that are breaking.. basically total chaos. I filled up 2 shortboxes with keys like Deadpool 1 1997, Inhumans 5, Ultimate FF 21-22, etc.. Since the owner had left early the clerk told me I would have to come the next day so he could price each comic out (at this point I'm laughing inside). Anyways I was sly enough to actually buy comics that already had price stickers on them. This is what I got for $15.

3FFDE214-FD42-4F5D-9E8C-0CCF12321A5F.thumb.jpeg.02c3bc810e627e2a45a610fff1d88354.jpeg

The Tales to Astonish is the first Abomination. =) And he is in the recent MCU on top of the old.

I remember years ago, a LCS had a sale like 25% off. I spent hours going through bins, and found a comic at the right price worth buying. I get to the counter and the young clerk pulls out overstreet and lifts the price - he goes that old price isn't accurate. Really peeved me. 

Even worse, the owner wasn't around. For all I know, he pocketed the difference.

Edited by bronze_rules

On 9/14/2021 at 6:12 PM, littledoom said:

I was biking on my way home and for the heck of it I decided to stop by a poorly run video game store that had some comics. I had bought around 20 comics for $2 each 2 years ago at this place. They were mainly $20-40 vintage keys. This time around the organization was way worse as the comics were in a dark lit corner with no fan/ventilation/AC... mind you it was around 90 degrees. So I spend around 2 hours looking through maybe 50 boxes that no one has been through for years. (Probably since I was last there lol.) Some comics are in dilapidated tubs, upside down, backwards, and in boxes that are breaking.. basically total chaos. I filled up 2 shortboxes with keys like Deadpool 1 1997, Inhumans 5, Ultimate FF 21-22, etc.. Since the owner had left early the clerk told me I would have to come the next day so he could price each comic out (at this point I'm laughing inside). Anyways I was sly enough to actually buy comics that already had price stickers on them. This is what I got for $15.

3FFDE214-FD42-4F5D-9E8C-0CCF12321A5F.thumb.jpeg.02c3bc810e627e2a45a610fff1d88354.jpeg

Hopefully you get the rest comfortably if you went through all that :wishluck:

Still good putting in the work, hope the laugh wasnt maniacal Haha, I'd be like whhhhhaaat? Haha

Prayers that the owner at least doesnt come back with Ebay prices and condition NM, even if he does price them at $10 or relatively..... I mean just I hope you get it done! Let us know :tink:

On 9/14/2021 at 4:24 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Hopefully you get the rest comfortably if you went through all that :wishluck:

Still good putting in the work, hope the laugh wasnt maniacal Haha, I'd be like whhhhhaaat? Haha

Prayers that the owner at least doesnt come back with Ebay prices and condition NM, even if he does price them at $10 or relatively..... I mean just I hope you get it done! Let us know :tink:

I actually went back today. The owner didn't get to pricing the comics. He said it would take him 3 days. Mind you he looks up each comic individually on ebay and TPBs with his scanner. He's not a reasonable old school vendor but a younger looks up everything on ebay man. (He deals in video games so he ebays comics for prices). The laugh was more of a "F**k that, I knew this would happen" scenario. So I'm not really going to deal with this situation again lol

Edited by littledoom

Here's a "fun" one.  I'm driving back yesterday from a second visit to a farm down south, picking up a second group of about 25 too-modern books and I spot an "Estate Sale" sign at a freeway exit.  Despite the fact it's after 1 pm, I follow the signs.  The sale's in a trailer park, so I'm not expecting much.  I start going through the place, no comics, but there's a long table in the "living room" with books.  I glance over them, and lo and behold! there's an older Overstreet Price Guide on there.  Boy, I tell you I got pretty excited.  I increase my pace of going through the rest of the double-wide, and there's nothing.  Not inside, not outside.  I asked the folks running the sale, and they said there weren't any, but sort of acted like they were just the hired help and didn't really know whether there had been or never were.  One of these days I sure hope this kind of impulse will pay off.

Yeah, a long shot but sometimes it pays off. I long ago learned not to leave any stone unturned.

I lucked out like that once. Hit a local yard sale put on by an older couple. They had a small group of 1960’s toys which I bought. They had belonged to their son who would have been around my age. 

I asked if he read comics and if they might have any? Sure enough, the guy  went into the garage and dragged out a small box of well loved ‘60’s Marvels and DCs which I immediately bought at their full asking price. 

So, always ask...

On 9/19/2021 at 3:14 PM, littledoom said:

Went to a garage sale yesterday. It was a pleasantly cold morning. Many avid buyers showed up. Luckily for me I went to the best boxes first. Got all of these for $332.50

3E9A66EC-39F9-4894-9AEA-C9AECE083785.thumb.jpeg.816787c836b248621590101d41f63c0a.jpeg

4FE49906-D7E1-43F7-9C76-A2CC74E5F58D.thumb.jpeg.7edd946b6b640448f3d8512de7cef3da.jpeg

D37EC680-0BD6-43D2-B1C8-F8B7E76F5159.thumb.jpeg.0ecf3d37b9d5e6ffa2e87959b9ff459a.jpeg

lol good eye!
I laugh, because even if it were me who got to "those boxes first"......

I would have only known to pick up half of that doh!:roflmao::foryou::tink: 

Congrats!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/20/2021 at 9:44 AM, mustang33guy said:

My story from this past Thursday:

I had the day off from work today in observance of Yom Kippur (Jewish run company) so I decided to hit up one of my local shops 20 minutes away. I hadn’t been there in a while and thought I might find some goodies since the last visit.

I probably was in there for a hour and found a few fun things that I decided to buy. Had about 2 boxes left to look in before I was done. Right then I had an older gentleman walk up beside me looking at the boxes of books on the table, then look at me. He saw me vigorously looking through the boxes and precedes to say “Seems like a fun thing to do on a day like today!”

I say to him “Yes it is! I have the day off from work today and thought it might be fun.”

He then tells me “Yeah, I have some comics that I am looking to sell and was passing the shop and was going to see if the owners would be interested in them.”

Naturally my interest peaked.

I ask him “Oh cool! What do you have if you don’t mind me asking?”

“Mostly 70s Spider-Man and some other books, maybe about 25-30 books total. They are at home, but I was going to bring them if they wanted them.”

I then tell him “Well if you wouldn’t mind me taking a look before you turn it over to the shop I would really love to look at what you have!”

He agrees and we exchange numbers. He then sends me his address as he is only 15 minutes from where we are. He tells me to show up after I leave the shop and that he would give me first crack at what he has. 

So I finish up and only bought 4 books from the shop, still fun, and then head out to the gentleman’s house. 

15 minutes later I show up at his house and call him to let him know I was there. He then says “Hello again Adam!” And gestures for me to come to the back of the house.

We talk for bit and I thanked him again for letting me see the books before anyone else, even if I didn’t know what the contents were.

So now for the books. He then shows me a small shoe box of around 30 books. A nice ASM #123 with Spidey fighting Luke Cage is sitting right on top, so at the very least I was thinking I would get to pick up some fun lower tier Spidey books.

But then I go through the box and couldn’t believe it! 2 surprise goodies lay before me, a nice low grade ASM #129 and an even more impressive higher grade copy of ASM #121! 

I then go to him and ask the most important question “What do you want for the box?” 

He then responds “Make me an offer, I really just want them gone, my wife and I are thinking of moving and I don't want to hold onto these.”

"I have had them for about 30 years, I got an offer of $30.00 back then, I was looking for $75.00-100.00 now."

So I check my wallet to see how much cash I have on me as I got then sense that this older fellow was not an advocate of PayPal lol. I had $78.00 cash.

“Well how about $75.00 because that’s all I have at the moment?”

He then responds “That sounds about fair and was what I was looking for them realistically”

So I handed him the cash, thanked him a few more times and then made my way home.

Sorry everyone for the ridiculously long winded story! I just thought that this great example of right place right time was too good not too share! And that it’s always good to be inquisitive and be friendly with people because you never know where it might lead you!

For now I am going to hold onto these two beauties and wait until CGC gets their stuff together so that I can get them graded.

Hope everyone enjoyed my tale today!

IMG_7585.JPG

IMG_7599.JPG

IMG_7609.JPG

Wow. So much is wrong with this anecdote I can't even start.

On 9/20/2021 at 11:19 AM, jsilverjanet said:

I’d probably not post what was paid - it makes it seem like you ripped the person off and came here to brag about it

Before I get beat up - I said it seems like etc 

Totally not the intention. But I see where this is going with peoples opinions so I don't want to be that one. Apologies

On 9/20/2021 at 11:19 AM, jsilverjanet said:

I’d probably not post what was paid - it makes it seem like you ripped the person off and came here to brag about it

Before I get beat up - I said it seems like etc 

FTFY.

You might also want to keep it from your LCS that you snaked a monster deal out from under them IN THE STORE.