• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,895 posts in this topic

Got a line on some comics, the guy is getting them out of storage for me this week.

Is it a box, or two, or more?

I DON'T KNOW

Is it a collection, or just some random comics?

I DON'T KNOW

Is it old stuff, new stuff, or somewhere in between?

I DON'T KNOW

Is his asking price going to be in line with what he's selling?

I DON'T KNOW

All I DO know is that the anticipation is making me type in ALL CAPS! 

:insane:

On 10/11/2021 at 8:38 PM, mrwoogieman said:

Got a line on some comics, the guy is getting them out of storage for me this week.

I DON'T KNOW

I DON'T KNOW

I DON'T KNOW

I DON'T KNOW

Good luck!!

On 10/11/2021 at 6:19 PM, Bearcatcoach said:

Small collection was purchased today...about 10 short boxes and a small box of toys...

Story behind the purchase:

This gentleman was at a Half Price Books and they offered him a ridiculous low amount for the 2 big books (pic of the offer included).  He didn't accept of course.  A guy I know was at the store and overhead the conversation....after they started talking eventually my name came as someone who would pay a fair price...he called me...we got together and he quickly accepted my offer...

Here are a few pics of some of the better books....the 2 big books were half the value of all 10 boxes (pretty easy to pick out...lol)

20211011_194907.jpg

20211011_195153.jpg

20211011_195425.jpg

20211011_195743.jpg

20211011_195951.jpg

20211011_200213.jpg

20211011_200404.jpg

20211011_152219.jpg

What a nice varied haul. The HoS 92 looks really decent. Where is that going to be sold? I've been looking for a copy

On 10/11/2021 at 11:20 PM, littledoom said:

What a nice varied haul. The HoS 92 looks really decent. Where is that going to be sold? I've been looking for a copy

The 92 is around a 4.0...maybe with a press and clean up to a 5.0.  I will be sending it in to CGC so it will be a while before it makes it back home....

On 10/11/2021 at 11:15 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Man, that's a depressing offer.  A lot less than half value.

And it's just the fact it's substantially less than half value, these are books that you can sell within hours online or in person - we're not talking about a low offer on books that will take a couple years to sell.....

On 10/12/2021 at 11:17 AM, spreads said:

@Bearcatcoach  Back at it and killing it!  I don't have the time to make those commutes, I'm guessing you're retired and or don't have small kids, lol.

Definitely the more you buy, the more your name goes out there as a respectable purchaser.  That is an amazing grab and some other solid pickups too.

Close...not retired yet but am on my fall break....now come the end of May 35 years of teaching does come to a close...:banana:

On 10/12/2021 at 10:29 AM, Bearcatcoach said:

Close...not retired yet but am on my fall break....now come the end of May 35 years of teaching does come to a close...:banana:

I'm sure that you paid much more, I just wish I had the money to drop like that if the opportunity arose lol 

Without using credit haha. Still good for you to get your name out there and word of mouth going :) 

I would if I could. These estate sales and rummaging through waiting for some bookstores and gaming places with comics to get "new stock", can be exhausting (thumbsu 

On 10/12/2021 at 11:34 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm sure that you paid much more, I just wish I had the money to drop like that if the opportunity arose lol 

Without using credit haha. Still good for you to get your name out there and word of mouth going :) 

I would if I could. These estate sales and rummaging through waiting for some bookstores and gaming places with comics to get "new stock", can be exhausting (thumbsu 

It's important to have good turnover and cash on hand, I reached out to a dealer friend of mine to offload 5 long boxes of complete sets, series, etc.  Already packaged up, priced-out, etc.  I was asking less than a third of what they should sell at fairly easily in a retail or con setting and he responded with a payment plan scenario of monies every few weeks.  It might sound cold, but I was a bit surprised a dealer for over 30 years couldn't rub together a small amount of money on short notice - I imagine he's missed out a lot of good buys over the years because of it.  I can only think of very poor inventory management as the cause for not having some amount of disposal cash lying around.  

On 10/12/2021 at 11:10 AM, spreads said:

It's important to have good turnover and cash on hand, I reached out to a dealer friend of mine to offload 5 long boxes of complete sets, series, etc.  Already packaged up, priced-out, etc.  I was asking less than a third of what they should sell at fairly easily in a retail or con setting and he responded with a payment plan scenario of monies every few weeks.  It might sound cold, but I was a bit surprised a dealer for over 30 years couldn't rub together a small amount of money on short notice - I imagine he's missed out a lot of good buys over the years because of it.  I can only think of very poor inventory management as the cause for not having some amount of disposal cash lying around.  

Yah, this is an EXTREMELY important part of flipping collectibles, that some people probably don't talk about quite as much as they should.

Of course you need knowledge of comics and the market, and probably time and space to sort comics, and good leads, but they mean nothing without liquid capital to actually buy good books when the opportunities arise.   If you have money, you can at least use luck to get around not having the other stuff.

On 10/11/2021 at 9:19 PM, Bearcatcoach said:

Small collection was purchased today...about 10 short boxes and a small box of toys...

This gentleman was at a Half Price Books and they offered him a ridiculous low amount for the 2 big books (pic of the offer included).  He didn't accept of course.  A guy I know was at the store and overhead the conversation....after they started talking eventually my name came as someone who would pay a fair price...he called me...we got together and he quickly accepted my offer...

Here are a few pics of some of the better books....the 2 big books were half the value of all 10 boxes (pretty easy to pick out...lol)

20211011_194907.jpg

20211011_195153.jpg

20211011_195425.jpg

20211011_195743.jpg

20211011_195951.jpg

20211011_200213.jpg

20211011_200404.jpg

20211011_152219.jpg

You paid less than 200 $for that?you are legend!

On 10/12/2021 at 2:23 PM, Namtak said:
On 10/11/2021 at 6:19 PM, Bearcatcoach said:

20211011_194907.jpg

20211011_195153.jpg

20211011_195425.jpg

20211011_195743.jpg

20211011_195951.jpg

20211011_200213.jpg

20211011_200404.jpg

20211011_152219.jpg

Expand  

You paid less than 200 $for that?you are legend!

I think you read it wrong

On 10/11/2021 at 8:38 PM, mrwoogieman said:

I DON'T KNOW

I DON'T KNOW

I DON'T KNOW

I DON'T KNOW

As Charlie Brown said - I got a rock!

Okay, okay, it was a little better than that, but not much. The best comic in his bin and a box was a Thor 337 so not a total loss. The hunt continues!