• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,891 posts in this topic

On 10/12/2021 at 2:43 PM, revat said:

Yah, this is an EXTREMELY important part of flipping collectibles, that some people probably don't talk about quite as much as they should.

Of course you need knowledge of comics and the market, and probably time and space to sort comics, and good leads, but they mean nothing without liquid capital to actually buy good books when the opportunities arise.   If you have money, you can at least use luck to get around not having the other stuff.

Except if you're in a position where you need to move stuff....space.....or risk of injury - like that guy that posted hunting through rickety shelving units of longs that almost killed him.  Death by a thousand turok 1s....

Here's a new one for me:

I met up with a woman who was selling a few tubs of comics from Facebook.  She was asking $500 - which I thought was of course going to be too high - but there were a few decent things sitting on top so why not go try my luck?  I get there and she's with an older guy who's there to, "make sure I wasn't a weirdo."  Fair enough.  She tells me right away she's firm on price.  Knowing that, I tell her I'll pull the decent stuff out as I'm going through so in case we don't end up making a deal, she'll have it up front for the next person.  

I go through all the books and have good conversation with both her and the dude.  There's nothing amazing - I think the best book was that Adam Hughes Dirty Pair variant.  I explain why $500 is too much for me to pay and tell her the reasoning.  She's comes back with $250.  I say sold!  But then the guy makes this hand signal and says, "You know what?  I'll just take it for $500."  We were both shocked because this dude didn't care about the comics and repeatedly told us so.  They were also friends so it was even more strange.  I look at the woman and tell her how stoked I am she got full price and tell the dude that what he did was bad form - not because I missed out on the books but for wasting all of our time standing around while I sorted the stuff that he intended to buy.  

I'm still annoyed by it.  

On 10/13/2021 at 8:39 PM, Beastfeast said:

Here's a new one for me:

I met up with a woman who was selling a few tubs of comics from Facebook.  She was asking $500 - which I thought was of course going to be too high - but there were a few decent things sitting on top so why not go try my luck?  I get there and she's with an older guy who's there to, "make sure I wasn't a weirdo."  Fair enough.  She tells me right away she's firm on price.  Knowing that, I tell her I'll pull the decent stuff out as I'm going through so in case we don't end up making a deal, she'll have it up front for the next person.  

I go through all the books and have good conversation with both her and the dude.  There's nothing amazing - I think the best book was that Adam Hughes Dirty Pair variant.  I explain why $500 is too much for me to pay and tell her the reasoning.  She's comes back with $250.  I say sold!  But then the guy makes this hand signal and says, "You know what?  I'll just take it for $500."  We were both shocked because this dude didn't care about the comics and repeatedly told us so.  They were also friends so it was even more strange.  I look at the woman and tell her how stoked I am she got full price and tell the dude that what he did was bad form - not because I missed out on the books but for wasting all of our time standing around while I sorted the stuff that he intended to buy.  

I'm still annoyed by it.  

Sounds like he saw an opportunity to be her “hero”

On 10/13/2021 at 10:39 PM, Beastfeast said:

Here's a new one for me:

I'm still annoyed by it.  

something similar happened to me at a garage sale.

i was the first in line and was going through the box and another person was waiting for me to finish. when i was going through it i asked how much the seller wanted and he said a price, i said ok and then the other guy yelled out a price double what mine was. he didn't even see what the box had as he was pretty far from me.

i told him hey not cool. i made the purchase and went on my way.

Edited by jsilverjanet

On 10/14/2021 at 7:35 AM, jsilverjanet said:

something similar happened to me at a garage sale.

i was the first in line and was going through the box and another person was waiting for me to finish. when i was going through it i asked how much the seller wanted and he said a price, i said ok and then the other guy yelled out a price double what mine was. he didn't even see what the box had as he was pretty far from me.

i told him hey not cool. i made the purchase and went on my way.

He probably recognized you as a dealer, and figured if you snap-call "sold" to the seller's price, it's worth at least twice what you paid.  Someone you had a bad interaction with in the past?  There are a handful of people out there who've burned their bridges with me, and I'd relish the opportunity to run them up on a deal.

On 10/14/2021 at 7:50 AM, FineCollector said:

He probably recognized you as a dealer, and figured if you snap-call "sold" to the seller's price, it's worth at least twice what you paid.  Someone you had a bad interaction with in the past?  There are a handful of people out there who've burned their bridges with me, and I'd relish the opportunity to run them up on a deal.

either way it's still a learning experience as to what can happen at these deals, and it's good to "know" so that if it happens to you, your not caught off guard....

I'd be like whaaaaat? lol 

An all to often case at a sale. My attitude is who ever is in the box first gets first right of refusal. Period. 

Grabby, rude, pushy folks get the big stink eye from me. Or a quiet, “back off, I was here first”.  I even stepped on a guy’s foot once. 

They don’t realize you need to be cool about it. If you make a big stink, the seller might get cold feet and nobody gets anything. 

Not that it really broke my heart but I watched a guy in front of me at a show pull out a nice run of Walking Dead starting with #1 for a buck a piece. He was there before me and he scored. We both walked away and talked for a few minutes. He was a young collector and was so stoked. I would have just flipped them. 

Every dog has his day...

A similar, but different "learning experience" for me earlier this summer: I show up at a yard sale advertised on Craigslist that listed "comic books" as an available item.  I did not see this ad until about 45 minutes before the sale was supposed to start as they posted late the night before, but it's close so I run over there.  I'm there 10 minutes before the listed sale start time, and there are a few people milling around looking at items.  I tell the seller I'm here for the comics and she says, "oh, they're over on the porch, but they are sold already.  A guy came by earlier and bought them all and he's coming back with the money."  Pointlessly, I said, "The sale's not supposed to start until 9." read her out very mildly (for me) and walked back to my car.  I suppose I could have done what a couple of the examples listed above did and tried to "outbid" the guy, but wouldn't want that to happen to me if the situation was reversed.  Anyway, I'm sure that clown walked away with an IH 181, ASM 129, GSXM 1 and so forth. :)

Anyway, I'm a little more careful about showing up early, but remain polite about entering a sale only when invited if I'm an "early bird."

On 10/13/2021 at 11:39 PM, Beastfeast said:

Here's a new one for me:

I'm still annoyed by it.  

That is strange.  You should have mixed up all the comics again.

On 10/13/2021 at 8:39 PM, Beastfeast said:

Here's a new one for me:

I'm still annoyed by it.  

I wonder if he was a fake and there just to up the price so anyone below $500 would just walk away.  Dumb if that's the strategy as you may have ended up being the "real" high offer.

On 10/14/2021 at 11:08 AM, MattTheDuck said:

I wonder if he was a fake and there just to up the price so anyone below $500 would just walk away.  Dumb if that's the strategy as you may have ended up being the "real" high offer.

I know a guy who makes an offer on a collection then has his friend make a lower offer. Eventually the seller will take my first friends higher offer lol.

On 10/14/2021 at 3:08 PM, littledoom said:

I know a guy who makes an offer on a collection then has his friend make a lower offer. Eventually the seller will take my first friends higher offer lol.

So by guy and friend, you mean to say you and your brother.  

lol

On 10/13/2021 at 10:39 PM, Beastfeast said:

Here's a new one for me:

I'm still annoyed by it.  

I did something similar once and never again. Went through box upon box of books, separating out the good stuff and explaining that these books are the bulk of their value. Seller did not want to part with them after hearing the values of those. Never give someone free information.