• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,856 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

Good piece, but never liked his style.  In particular, Hulk would've had to dislocate his jaw to scream like that, but that's how Art Adams draws.  The Galactus is awful as well.  Give this to any number of people, and I'll like it much better.  John Byrne, for instance?

2014-06-01_075641_ffposterbw.jpg_600.jpg

I was actually not being sarcastic 

he does suck nowadays. 

He was a god in the 80s

49 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Between him and Neal Adams, who has gotten worse? Or is it simply a matter or worse / digital coloring?

4-17-2017-1.jpg

Frank Miller + JRJR have depreciated more precipitously than both of them.  I think newer Neal Adams isn't that bad, but I don't like the way his newer stuff is textured or colored (to your point), I'm not sure how much say he has on that.

On 04/09/2017 at 8:56 PM, Rip said:

Recently came across a large Underground comic collection (150 books) that I'm picking up. Has some first prints like Mr Natural 1 and Zap 0 in decent shape, some Clay Wilson portfolio books, Young Lust, some books I've never seen before. An adult digest size Archie book which is really crazy. Great artwork, crazy subject matter.

The Mr Nat will require interior inspection, but the Zap 0 should be easy to identify with pics of the rear cover.

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

Between him and Neal Adams, who has gotten worse? Or is it simply a matter or worse / digital coloring?

4-17-2017-1.jpg

What's really sad is that Art got swallowed in an ocean of imitators and prolly tried to cut corners in order to produce quicker. Had he kept perfecting his craft even sticking to just doing covers he could've became a household name much like Stevens, Hughes. Personally I even think Frazetta 

CIMG4715_zps3em9kijn.jpg

CIMG4716_zpsoh4g5djb.jpg

The Zap 1st printing can be seen by the black scratch on the "Z" and the yellow between the letters on the back.

CIMG4718_zps6lk4ruwz.jpg

CIMG4719_zpsh36q3nse.jpg

The Mr. Natural 1st printing two major tells are the faded color at the very bottom of the front cover and on the first interior page it needs to say "Published by the San Francisco Comic Book Company"

Edited by Rip

8 minutes ago, Rip said:

The Zap can be seen by the black scratch on the "Z" and the yellow between the letters on the back.

The Mr. Natural two major tells are the fade and the bottom of the front cover and the first interior page "Published by the San Francisco Comic Book Company"

...that...???

6 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

I don't see comics often at my local goodwill, much less a big pile of unbagged copper books.

The unread/used fun book was a great bonus and added to the happy vibe of the moment.

IMG_2616.thumb.JPG.8822a5afc87d58f34731983ae64bb8d2.JPG

looks like most of those books are Bronze age not copper

I used to have that Fun Book-- I have no idea where it went to but it is long since been misplaced.

21 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

I don't see comics often at my local goodwill, much less a big pile of unbagged copper books.

The unread/used fun book was a great bonus and added to the happy vibe of the moment.

IMG_2616.thumb.JPG.8822a5afc87d58f34731983ae64bb8d2.JPG

Is the fun book Fireside?  If so, :takeit:, haha.  I love Fireside.  The cookbook might be my favorite one. 

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 0:24 PM, Aweandlorder said:

What's really sad is that Art got swallowed in an ocean of imitators and prolly tried to cut corners in order to produce quicker. Had he kept perfecting his craft even sticking to just doing covers he could've became a household name much like Stevens, Hughes. Personally I even think Frazetta 

Probably right on that.  As you said earlier, he was a god in the 80's/early 90's.  If he was working on anything, there was excitement/anticipation for it.   I know "we" (my comic buddies) and I were amped up for that 3 issue FF run he did in the early 90's.  

18 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

Probably right on that.  As you said earlier, he was a god in the 80's/early 90's.  If he was working on anything, there was excitement/anticipation for it.   I know "we" (my comic buddies) and I were amped up for that 3 issue FF run he did in the early 90's.  

This is so true. That anticipation for me began with Action Annual 1.. By that time I have already studied every panel from all his books, there werent alot. 

The only other artist I was excited about at the time was Dave Stevens and he put out books ANNUALLY and wasnt as big as Art or as influential as him.

Why did people give Art hard time for being slow, and stevens not, is beyond me. Quality should ALWAYS come over before quantity when it comes to art