• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the most you've spent on one piece of art (cash!)?

Highest You've Paid for One Piece of OA (cash, no trade):  

555 members have voted

1. 1. Highest You've Paid for One Piece of OA (cash, no trade):

188 posts in this topic

No worries, bud...I know I'll get it back in spades just in free legal counsel lol

(So if there are any local hobbyists who are auto mechanics, computer techs, gardeners, etc...don't hesitate to ask me for a favor! :insane: )

Seriously, though...you also helped me before, so no big deal at all. :foryou: backatcha!

Wow, is this ever a litmus test for friendship in the hobby-- when two friends come across a piece they both want at the exact same time. Who blinks?

This is why when something shows up on Ebay that I like, I don't mention it to anyone. And I'd prefer no one tell me, either. I'd rather just make my best (snipe :devil: ) bid and let the chips fall where they may.

I've never asked anyone to step aside on an auction so I'd have a better chance of winning. But I've been asked. And there's nothing more :pullhair: than watching that person lose with a low-ball bid. So my stipulation these days is...you'd better win!

In general, there should be some give-and-take. If two friends consistently find art they both like, it's probably a good idea for the sake of the friendship to at least take turns.

(As an aside, I'd like to say that Michael/comicartfan did me a major solid a few years ago when I was new to this hobby and asked for nothing in return. Total class act. I haven't forgotten...thanks Michael!)

That's a good one.

My system is much more simple, if there is an ebay auction that I know a fellow collector is sniping on, I just tell him my max, ask him if his is higher. If his is higher, then I won't bother with my snipe. If mine is higher, well, the answer is obvious.

There was one hilarious instance where I stepped aside, and the collector friend's snipe got screwed up (something about an inept intern) and it went for pennies! =)

Malvin

That's a good one.

My system is much more simple, if there is an ebay auction that I know a fellow collector is sniping on, I just tell him my max, ask him if his is higher. If his is higher, then I won't bother with my snipe. If mine is higher, well, the answer is obvious.

There was one hilarious instance where I stepped aside, and the collector friend's snipe got screwed up (something about an inept intern) and it went for pennis! =)

Malvin

It went for WHAT!? :blush:

That's a good one.

There was one hilarious instance where I stepped aside, and the collector friend's snipe got screwed up (something about an inept intern) and it went for pennis! =)

Malvin

It went for WHAT!? :blush:

Don't know you are talking about Claudio, you must have edited my post before you quoted it. I see no issue with my original one! :whistle::grin:

Wow, is this ever a litmus test for friendship in the hobby-- when two friends come across a piece they both want at the exact same time. Who blinks?

This is why when something shows up on Ebay that I like, I don't mention it to anyone. And I'd prefer no one tell me, either. I'd rather just make my best (snipe :devil: ) bid and let the chips fall where they may.

I've never asked anyone to step aside on an auction so I'd have a better chance of winning. But I've been asked. And there's nothing more :pullhair: than watching that person lose with a low-ball bid. So my stipulation these days is...you'd better win!

In general, there should be some give-and-take. If two friends consistently find art they both like, it's probably a good idea for the sake of the friendship to at least take turns.

(As an aside, I'd like to say that Michael/comicartfan did me a major solid a few years ago when I was new to this hobby and asked for nothing in return. Total class act. I haven't forgotten...thanks Michael!)

Ahh....schucks...Now you're embarrassing me.... :blush:

I've had some people really go out of their way for me too. Chris C. on a few deals and hopefully on one in the future :wishluck: and Yoram did me a HUGE one that I really would be hard pressed to be able express my gratitude. - As I said, what goes around....I may not get something in return from that particular person,but down the road someone will do something out of their way for me......

Long read this morning (125 posts!) and some great stuff from all! (worship)

Bottom line with me is:

I find something for a FRIEND, then I do not make $ off them.

If I find something cheap as hell, because of my job, I am obligated to get it for HA (or keep it for myself if it fits in my collection :whistle: ).

Before HA, if I found a great deal on art that did NOT fit my collection, I would buy it to flip so I could by more art. If it was fliped to a friend, I would give a great deal, but if not, I would try to get the best deal I could.

The one thing that bothered me when I first started posting my OA on CAF, is that I would list each piece as NFS, but would get daily emails asking me to sell. I had to change most pieces to a $ figure that is way too high for each piece and now I get about one email a month asking me to sell a piece, which is cool. My problem with doing this, is that the prices I am asking are way too high and some people use my "not for sale" prices to justify selling similar art to people who do not know better! :cry:

My other problem is that I am moving from B&W to painted pieces. I pay, almost all the time, retail and I do not want to lose $ when I sell my B&W pieces (who does?). So, am I a collector ( I love comics, comic art and the friends I make because of this hobby) or because I sell some pieces for much more than I paid, a dealer? I usually put the $ back into the hobby or sometimes sell for charity.

I never break a handshake even on a deal I will lose money on. I don't know the market as well a some here, so, sometimes I make a mistake. Oh, well, can't have it all......

Many fine lines......

One thing I do know, is that I have made many, many friends over the years and I do not believe they have taken advantage of me and I know I have not taken advantage of them. Not the dealers, the friends.

Got a great deal on a Dave Stevens piece from two friends and I even told them I would love to cut it up into the pieces since they were sketches and would look great in three frames. Problem is, once they are cut up and framed, when I need money to buy other art, I might end up selling one or even two of the pieces. I know they would not mind that, but if I was not selling one to a friend, I would call them first because that is the right thing to do. But if someone came into my home, saw one and made a (what I consider) stupid offer, I would have to take it without calling anyone. I believe some people would think that is wrong, but I do not.

Just my 2c & rantrant

-Steve

Hey Steve,

Sorry for wearing out your eyes with the long winded posts! What you explain above is a comprehensive look at how a collector to whom money is important but not the motivation for the hobby would act. At least one with scruples. I think a lot of people in the hobby feel and act the same way you described. Unfortunately a lot of the ones that deal exclusively on higher end pieces are a bit more mercenary in their tactics and some just don't even have the capacity to understand fine points like making the right moral decision, keeping your word, being able to place yourself in someone else's shoes.

I see nothing wrong with what you posted. Agree with it 95%. There may be some slight variances in how we'd handle specific scenarios but overall I agree.

BTW, knowing you a little and the type of guy you are makes me happy you work with Heritage now. To be honest I would never sell anything through them before and would actively discourage anyone from selling through them if they asked my opinion and had any other options. I just had the sleaziest feeling from them. Hopefully a little of your integrity will rub off on them.

Ruben-

You ROCK!

Without you, Weng and a bunch of others, I might not be in this part of the hobby at all! You guys where a big help when I began 10 years ago!

Thanks for the kind words!

BTW....not to make this about HA, but any deal someone does with me through HA, they will get what ever I promise them.

:gossip: if I sell anything from my collection for cost or under, you can take an extra two dollars off! :jokealert: