• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mound City Collection One of the Greatest Silver Age Finds of the Century

2,756 posts in this topic

a fair "handling" charge should encompass : time (labor), materials used... that is it...

materials and time couldn't possibly amount to more than $10 per parcel (based on my experience), and was probably more like $5, but that is debatable... so, if it cost $42 to ship (insurance included) and they were charged $99, then I would say that is about 100% too much and someone is liable for it

So, a box for say 10 comics or less, the bubbles, the peanuts, the label, the handling to pack and a fair charge for profit in your mind should be what? I'm back at this to figure out what is fair to everybody.

At retail - the supplies for that package (peanuts, bubble wrap, box, and tape) might cost $5, and that's if they aren't using a carrier supplied box. I'd say an employee should be able to safely pack 6 packages in an hour. at $40 an hour labor (more than enough to pay an employee, cover worker's comp or other employee benefits and make a profit) that's $6.66 a package.

So I'd say handling charge should be $10 to $12 max. (shrug) Still seems high, but I would consider it reasonable. It could also be a little less for one or two books, and more for even larger numbers of books.

That was about what I was thinking. It is very admirable of you that you are making an attempt to rectify this situation. In the future, you may want to consider offering different options with different degrees of risk or hassle or price involved. I know you can ship USPS Priority insured items with a value of less than 500 dollars and the Post Office will pick them up....a service like that could be provided for 20 dollars with you still making a small profit on shipping to offset the need for additional personel. More costly packages could go UPS or USPS with the buyer absorbing the cost of additional insurance and the cost of travel to the Post Office, etc. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

There you go. $25,000 insured for $46 plus packaging and shipping charges.

From what I understand registered mail is a bit slower due to all the tracking and signatures but it's a viable option.

Roy, with all due respect, I wish you would stay out of this. You are not helping anyone. You've keep saying you've said your peace and are done, yet you keep posting. I'm seriously wondering if you have an agenda. This is not your fight, let it play out. (A respectful) please !

Gotta say I agree with BB, thanks for the input Roy but it's time to let it go. (thumbs u

a fair "handling" charge should encompass : time (labor), materials used... that is it...

materials and time couldn't possibly amount to more than $10 per parcel (based on my experience), and was probably more like $5, but that is debatable... so, if it cost $42 to ship (insurance included) and they were charged $99, then I would say that is about 100% too much and someone is liable for it

So, a box for say 10 comics or less, the bubbles, the peanuts, the label, the handling to pack and a fair charge for profit in your mind should be what? I'm back at this to figure out what is fair to everybody.

box cost=$2-3 (depending on single wall or double wall, etc, but a fair estimate)

peanut cost =$1 (even if you buy a 20 cube bag at $20, which is high)

bubble cost=$1 (again, based on a single roll cost, I am sure a packing store gets better cost, like I do)

label=free (from UPS)

labor=10 minutes (even at $20 an hour) that is $3.33

profit=$57...dispicable

At retail - the supplies for that package (peanuts, bubble wrap, box, and tape) might cost $5, and that's if they aren't using a carrier supplied box. I'd say an employee should be able to safely pack 6 packages in an hour. at $40 an hour labor (more than enough to pay an employee, cover worker's comp or other employee benefits and make a profit) that's $6.66 a package.

So I'd say handling charge should be $10 to $12 max. (shrug) Still seems high, but I would consider it reasonable. It could also be a little less for one or two books, and more for even larger numbers of books.

we arrived at the same "estimate" except ain't NOBOdY I know making $40 an hour to pack (my warehouse manager does 1000% more for $15 or so an hour) (thumbs u

we arrived at the same "estimate" except ain't NOBOBY I know making $40 an hour to pack (my warehouse manager does 1000% more for $15 or so an hour) (thumbs u

NOBOBY, you say. hm

we arrived at the same "estimate" except ain't NOBOBY I know making $40 an hour to pack (my warehouse manager does 1000% more for $15 or so an hour) (thumbs u

NOBOBY, you say. hm

argh, between you and parker, I can't catch a break lol

we arrived at the same "estimate" except ain't NOBOdY I know making $40 an hour to pack (my warehouse manager does 1000% more for $15 or so an hour) (thumbs u

Well, if they were, I'd be applying for a job. lol

I was thinking of it more from the packer/shipper store view point where they may have to pay an employee $15 hour plus other expenses involved with having an employee, plus a very nice profit involved. The packing/shipping facility will make a profit on the supplies, but also needs to make a profit on the labor. I was still very generous in my estimate considering costs such as worker's comp are probably very minimal to a place like Mailboxes Etc.

Rob replied to my PM today and told me my missing book was lost by the original shipper. He also offered to "credit my account" for it. I hope that means credit my credit card, and not my MCA account, as I don't forsee a whole lot of business between us going forward.

My guess would be credit applied towards future auctions. Next time you buy from him make sure to get a hand shake first.

I've never shaken hands with you and I trust you.

The handshake is figurative.

meh

To blindly trust people is foolish. I base this one historical evidence and not a gut feeling or Spider-Sense.

I was thinking of it more from the packer/shipper store view point where they may have to pay an employee $15 hour plus other expenses involved with having an employee, plus a very nice profit involved. The packing/shipping facility will make a profit on the supplies, but also needs to make a profit on the labor. I was still very generous in my estimate considering costs such as worker's comp are probably very minimal to a place like Mailboxes Etc.

To help put things in perspective, I just posted a $1500 book triple boxed to the UK via Express Mail International and it was only $38.

There you go. $25,000 insured for $46 plus packaging and shipping charges.

From what I understand registered mail is a bit slower due to all the tracking and signatures but it's a viable option.

Roy, with all due respect, I wish you would stay out of this. You are not helping anyone. You've keep saying you've said your peace and are done, yet you keep posting. I'm seriously wondering if you have an agenda. This is not your fight, let it play out. (A respectful) please !

Gotta say I agree with BB, thanks for the input Roy but it's time to let it go. (thumbs u

I can't rationally see where any of this debacle is defendable regardless of the supposed "good intentions" of the auctioneers. They have screwed up royally and don't seem to have the business sense, or experience, to satisfactory resolve the issues...

If someone didn't vouch for their background as auctioneers, I'd think they're a "cut and run" operation who used eBay as their model based on their responses to the myriad problems...

Jim

To help put things in perspective, I just posted a $1500 book triple boxed to the UK via Express Mail International and it was only $38.

So when can I expect it?

But yeah, I can definitely confirm that price to the UK from the States. I've been absolutely gobsmacked at some of the shipping charges people have stated. It's farcical to say the least.

And I would really like to see the issue of forcing somebody to buy a book they didn't even bid on addressed. Regardless of who it was or the resolution between the two parties, how on earth can MCA justify that as 'business practice'? And who will they deflect that onto?

I'll throw my perspective in the ring.

I had my books shipped using my fedex account number. I paid for insurance as well. The books were shipped in 2 large boxes well packed.

At Quality Comix, we would have charged at most $20 for the boxes and packing material.

We were charged $190 for the boxes and material and handling time. Based on the fact that Mound City had chosen a third party shipper, I KNEW from past experience that the cost was going to be in the $200 range.

So, because I was at the auction and knew ahead of time what the situation was, I can't complain. However, I had no other choice since I had to catch a plane back that night and the books wouldn't fit on the plane with me.

Brent

I would have brought them home and shipped them to you. I'm sorry that I didn't offer to do so in St. Louis. Can I make it up to you by giving you a certain percent off on my next comic book auction?

Sure, that sounds like a great offer. When is it again?

I would have brought them home and shipped them to you. I'm sorry that I didn't offer to do so in St. Louis. Can I make it up to you by giving you a certain percent off on my next comic book auction?

Sure, that sounds like a great offer. When is it again?

Umm... soon. When I get back from... Vegas. Yeah... Vegas.

376149-pitchfork_large.jpg

torch2.jpg

rope-noose.jpg

LCL15.gif

LOST BOOKS??????????????????

I hope this is not idicitave of the board. Boy this looks like a threat. I don't think it is called for. Deep breaths folks, deep breaths. I am not off playing craps or poker while Rome burns. I went to an NAA school, a school I had scheduled before any problems with shipping surfaced.

I have been talking with freinds tonight, folks I met over 7 or so years ago. People I met by selling them an item on eBay. We are great freinds now and I trust their advise. I asked them to give me their ideas on the subject. They buy a lot of stuff on-line, and are both solid people. They suggested I go ahead and refund the money to your credit cards. I think they are right. What I would like for you to do is help me help you. I need to figure out what is a fair amount to refund. I will not be shipping for free, but there has to be a way to figure this out

I see it like this, the first shipper obviously dropped the ball. I did all I could to get the situation fixed, including going down there and removing books he had not shipped yet and getting the new guy up to speed. I would like the group to tell me what fair shipping costs for 10 books (or under) same box, same bubbles, same label same peanuts for 1 or 10 books correct? I think most of the complaints have come about the Packaging Store, is this correct?

OK, lets sum up

I picked a shipper to speed things along, I used a guy that had shipped for me for years.

He was overloaded by the work, and charged more than seems fair.

I removed the books and fired him,

I got a new shipper,

I want the groups input on a fair price to ship 10 books, insurance is of course a factor, a $100 item does not ship for the same thing as a $1000 item or a $10,000 item or a $100,000 item. Let me put it this way, lets say a books went for over $1,000 the shipper is going to have to ship it 2nd day or overnight or his insurance is not going to cover him. Ground shipment is not an option.

If you bought $5,000 in books and the shipping cost was on the box, what do you deem a fair amount for packing and handling, as well as profit?

Hi Rob,

No dog in this fight, as I did not participate in the auction. But to lend a bit of perspective, I just paid for 2000 dollars of books from ComicLink and shipping was $20. (I believe it was 8 books.) So if you want to use that as a model, that may be a starting point. I can tell you, if I was told shipping was $50 or even a $100 prior to the auction, I would have told them to stick it. I don't see any problem with you charging whatever you want for shipping, as long as you tell the buyers BEFORE they bid, so that they can make an informed decision, but these preposterous shipping charges out of the blue are flat out not right. I'm glad you're doing something about it.

ML

Rob,

here is my 2 cents. My package actual cost is $42 insurance included. $56.63 was the markup. Forget about the damages to the slabs since who knows who did it but these 3 slabs are the worse shape of all of the slabs I own and I have over 200 of these things. I can't imagine how they can be so scratched up but they did get all scratched up. I am not asking for any reimbursement on damaged slabs.

I think a fair cost on labor and supplies to ship my 3 slab is $15(15 minutes of their time based on a rediculous rate of $40 per hour + $5 supplies) so a fair refund for me is $42.

If you want proof of my $42 actual shipping cost, I will scan the label for you. You have my account and credit card info but if you need proof I paid $98.63 for this package, I will scan that too.

Nick