• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mound City Collection One of the Greatest Silver Age Finds of the Century

2,756 posts in this topic

And I fixed your fix for you.

Did you even bid in our auction?

I know it is public, but if you could see things as I see them perhaps it would help. I got off of the forum to email all bidders and the response is quite tellling.

Several have told me that they were not overcharged. Also, it seems like the people who are the most upset did not participate in the auction (at least, from the responses to my email.)

I have started refunding money, some of you paid with check so I can't refund your shipping via credit card as you did not pay with credit card. If you have not gotten a refund yet please respond to my email so I can see what you need to be a happy camper.

I will not be posting here for a while so I can deal with bidders, who feel they were overcharged.

What?? :screwy:

Some people did not think they were overcharged for shipping, therefore your fix is wrong.

And some people were severely reamed on shipping, therefore my fix was spot on (thumbs u

There you go. $25,000 insured for $46 plus packaging and shipping charges.

From what I understand registered mail is a bit slower due to all the tracking and signatures but it's a viable option.

Roy, with all due respect, I wish you would stay out of this. You are not helping anyone. You've keep saying you've said your peace and are done, yet you keep posting. I'm seriously wondering if you have an agenda. This is not your fight, let it play out. (A respectful) please !

Gotta say I agree with BB, thanks for the input Roy but it's time to let it go. (thumbs u

You guys misunderstood me.

I was siding with us guys and gals and not with Mound City.

I have a horse in this race because of the shipping costs that were charged on the $250K in books that I bid on.

When I said I was done, I meant I was done trying to stand up for Mound City.

They are now aware of the problem and are trying to handle it.

My intent with that last post was simply to share, through dialogue, a little knowledge of shipping costs so that we as bidders have a little more info into shipping options as opposed to being forced into using UPS (which I can't stand) or other more costly options. I understand most have gotten their books but still thought it was good info for the future.

What I was trying to say was if anyone bought $25K in books (and I know a few people that did), then they were way overcharged because they likely paid $200+ in shipping when they could have paid $45 + packaging materials which realistically should have been less than half of what they paid.

I'm sorry if you saw something different...but that's how it goes on these boards.

And your comment about the agenda? I will have you know that I have been going out of my way behind the scenes through phone calls and emails to make sure the books were packaged well (and most people seemed happy about the way the books were packaged), that Rob came on here to deal with the shipping problems and that he deal with it in a way that everyone is left satisfied.

If I had an agenda I'd make sure you guys had lousy service this go round so that at their next auction nobody bids but me.

I take offense at your comment, Bob.

I want to put my 2 cents in here.

Bob you bought under $250 worth of books and you are telling the guy who bought over $250,000.00 worth of books that it is not his fight. Are you kidding? Let me tell you who changed my mind to refund directly to you accounts, not Bomber Bob, not the guy with the noose, (he just pissed me off) it was Roy, who called me and spoke to me man to man. The threats of lawsuits, he threat of harm, they are counter productive and not needed. Roy, Rob Lite, and Sheila and Ed (the people we are staying with but who are former customers) won the day with reason, and logic.

Roy, thank you for your input, you have helped us and everyone who bought form us. I am working hard to fix this issue.

And to the member who complained about free shipping at our next auction. Please never register or bid, I don't think I will ever be able to make you happy.

To the rest of you. Give me time, I am working as fast as I can.

Rob, in case you didn't see it, I already apologized to Roy. See below.

My comment was a middle of the night drunken babble.If you look through this thread I never jumped on the MC bashing bandwagon, in fact I said I agreed with Roy that you were good people.

Not sure I appreciate you calling me out as a small time player. Heck, I tried to bid and win more of your books but because I used icollector and had Comcast I was locked out of Day2.

My response to Roy........

Roy, I had no intention of being offensive, I apologize if I was.

Personally, I agreed with your comments about MC being good people but I wanted to wait and see what happened = no comments from me.

You are well respected and a great Board member but IMHO you were simply posting too much on the MC topic. It was 3:00 in the morning, I had been drinking

and playing cards all evening and I said what I said. The hidden agenda comment

was not thought out on my part and was probably not appropriate.

Pedigree will have Mound books in the next grand auction:

"In addition, Pedigree Comics has just recently purchased some incredible high grade books from the newly annointed Mound City Collection...

The Mound City books include some ultra high grade early Silver Age Marvels and DC's from a myriad of titles including Adventure Comics, Detective Comics, Fantastic Four, Flash, Incredible Hulk, Journey Into Mystery, Justice League of America, Strange Tales, World's Finest Comics and more. Almost every Mound City book is in 9.4 and higher grade..."

First Mound gets a cut. Then the shippers. Then Doug...

Actually, it wan't anointed -- at least not by CGC. This was discussed earlier in the thread. (Is there any issue known to man that hasn't been discussed at some point in this thread? :D )

"In addition, Pedigree Comics has just recently purchased some incredible high grade books from the newly annointed Mound City Collection...

The Mound City books include some ultra high grade early Silver Age Marvels and DC's from a myriad of titles including Adventure Comics, Detective Comics, Fantastic Four, Flash, Incredible Hulk, Journey Into Mystery, Justice League of America, Strange Tales, World's Finest Comics and more. Almost every Mound City book is in 9.4 and higher grade..."

Actually, it wan't anointed -- at least not by CGC. This was discussed earlier in the thread. (Is there any issue known to man that hasn't been discussed at some point in this thread? :D )

First rule of marketing...Don't let the facts get in your way.

He didn't say "pedigree" at least. Does CGC still anoint collections? If anyone has spent enough money to get the "From The Collection Of..." notation, it's these guys. Makes me think that maybe with Borock gone, so is this policy?

Bob, you and I are cool. I've communicated this to Rob and I let him know that.

I think things simply get out of hand online sometimes as people type the way they would talk in person but without all the body language a lot of stuff gets misunderstood. There is also a lot of cross communication which adds to the confusion. I think it takes a specific type of skill to be able to effectively communicate through the internet without being misunderstood. I know that I don't have that skill as I get misunderstood all the time. We all get misunderstood from time to time even though many of you guys are really well educated and have the best intentions. This place really is a hornet's nest sometimes the way things get stirred up.

I personally think that MCA should continue to rectify everyone's issues directly with the clients rather than reply to every post in this thread.

I agree with Sal and others that even though the shipper and by extension MCA dropped the ball, the way they recover should be the true judge of their character.

As far as my communication with them, I think I was just lucky to call when I did as I happened to call MCA just as they were returning from their business trip. If I had called last week I probably would have been in a holding pattern and wondering what was going on as the majority of you were.

Anyhow, Rob and I have also spoken about the shipping charges for my purchases and we are working out something fair.

I'm happy with the results and although it was a little more work than anyone had originally anticipated, I think that this learning process will pave the way for a much smoother comic book auction in the future...and I'm pretty sure there will be another.

R.

Bob, you and I are cool. I've communicated this to Rob and I let him know that.

I think things simply get out of hand online sometimes as people type the way they would talk in person but without all the body language a lot of stuff gets misunderstood. There is also a lot of cross communication which adds to the confusion. I think it takes a specific type of skill to be able to effectively communicate through the internet without being misunderstood. I know that I don't have that skill as I get misunderstood all the time. We all get misunderstood from time to time even though many of you guys are really well educated and have the best intentions. This place really is a hornet's nest sometimes the way things get stirred up.

I personally think that MCA should continue to rectify everyone's issues directly with the clients rather than reply to every post in this thread.

I agree with Sal and others that even though the shipper and by extension MCA dropped the ball, the way they recover should be the true judge of their character.

As far as my communication with them, I think I was just lucky to call when I did as I happened to call MCA just as they were returning from their business trip. If I had called last week I probably would have been in a holding pattern and wondering what was going on as the majority of you were.

Anyhow, Rob and I have also spoken about the shipping charges for my purchases and we are working out something fair.

I'm happy with the results and although it was a little more work than anyone had originally anticipated, I think that this learning process will pave the way for a much smoother comic book auction in the future...and I'm pretty sure there will be another.

Roy, thanks. I agree that the results were hard to obtain but it worked out in the end. I do applaud Rob for doing the right thing, and per Rob, you influenced him so we owe you some thanks for that.

Communication through the internet is treacherous, especially when drinking.

These Boards can be brutal but it is so much fun (lol) !

Well, I'd really rather not take any credit.

I don't think I changed Rob's mind at all. I pointed him to the thread and simply tried to explain in a clear manner what most collectors would have expected compared to experiences with other auction houses by summarizing things.

They did the rest.

I love a happy ending.

Well, I'd really rather not take any credit.

I don't think I changed Rob's mind at all. I pointed him to the thread and simply tried to explain in a clear manner what most collectors would have expected compared to experiences with other auction houses by summarizing things.

They did the rest.

I love a happy ending.

:golfclap: so what do you want for Christmas Roy? (santa mode)

Darren,

I did in fact already state that it was a joke in line with the discussion. I think it's on like page 267 of this thread.

Rob,

I believe the person who posted the three pictures (a pitchfork, a torch, and a noose) was just running with the humor you started in your Dec 11th posting.

Everybody take a deep breath and put those clubs and pitchforks up. I had to look for half an hour just to find where to start reading.

Remember I bruse easy, and I am going to try to solve the problems, but I can only read so fast. Stay tuned...... Rob Classic

Just wanted to report an update on my situation with MCA - my books were delivered on Saturday, the two that I purchased from the auction. Rob was very helpful in both a PM and email.

Thanks, we are taking a 5 hour drive from New Mexico to Pagosa Springs today. It is in the mountians a lot of the way. I will be in and out of coverage. I am reading the groups ideas. It is helping me to decide what to do. Brent, your $20 you spoke of would have been agumented by the insurance idea you sent in a PM to me, but did it include any cost for help? It seems way low to me, did you factor into that price the cost of the insurance?

By the way.

We will offer free shipping in our NEXT auction of comics. I hate all the trouble this guy caused me and you.

Now please note I said next auction. We are not doing free shipping in the last auction. We are just trying to come up with fair solutions for everyone.

I paid for shipping/insurance, so the $20 I'm referring to is for JUST for the 2 boxes, packing material and help. Boxes and packing material are $12 max (and that's at retail prices), so the extra $8 should cover any help costs. Maybe some companies might charge $25. I was charged $190.

If I had the shippers charge me for the shipping, insurance and handling, the cost would have been well over $500. Maybe as much as $700.

Thanks, we are taking a 5 hour drive from New Mexico to Pagosa Springs today. It is in the mountians a lot of the way. I will be in and out of coverage. I am reading the groups ideas. It is helping me to decide what to do. Brent, your $20 you spoke of would have been agumented by the insurance idea you sent in a PM to me, but did it include any cost for help? It seems way low to me, did you factor into that price the cost of the insurance?

By the way.

We will offer free shipping in our NEXT auction of comics. I hate all the trouble this guy caused me and you.

Now please note I said next auction. We are not doing free shipping in the last auction. We are just trying to come up with fair solutions for everyone.

I paid for shipping/insurance, so the $20 I'm referring to is for JUST for the 2 boxes, packing material and help. Boxes and packing material are $12 max (and that's at retail prices), so the extra $8 should cover any help costs. Maybe some companies might charge $25. I was charged $190.

If I had the shippers charge me for the shipping, insurance and handling, the cost would have been well over $500. Maybe as much as $700.

..That is serious price gouging