• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mound City Collection One of the Greatest Silver Age Finds of the Century

2,756 posts in this topic

I want you to pay real close attention to Avengers #2, it is in about the same shape as Avengers #1 and if it were pressed it would grade about the same, (not my opinion, [as it means squat] but the opinion of several of the folks at CGC.) The Avengers #2 is indicative of this collection, many are in fantastic shape and would grade much higher if pressed, however, they are not pressed, nor have they ever been pressed.

Robs

So the folks at CGC recommend pressing a lot of the books? That is interesting.

I want you to pay real close attention to Avengers #2, it is in about the same shape as Avengers #1 and if it were pressed it would grade about the same, (not my opinion, [as it means squat] but the opinion of several of the folks at CGC.) The Avengers #2 is indicative of this collection, many are in fantastic shape and would grade much higher if pressed, however, they are not pressed, nor have they ever been pressed.

Robs

lol

Well now with that little tidbit, you can expect the dealers to REALLY swarm as the pressers will come out in force.

I think it's been well known that for some time, CGC has suggested what pressing can do for some books.

I want you to pay real close attention to Avengers #2, it is in about the same shape as Avengers #1 and if it were pressed it would grade about the same, (not my opinion, {as it means squat} but the opinion of several of the folks at CGC.) The Avengers #2 is indicative of this collection, many are in fantastic shape and would grade much higher if pressed, however, they are not pressed, nor have they ever been pressed.

Robs

That is not what I said,

They said they might grade higher and be worth more if they were pressed, Not that they should be pressed. Look, I don't have a horse in this race, buy them and press them, buy them and never press them, buy the book and crack the case and let it be free, read it while drinking you favorite beverage. The way I see it is after the hammer falls and you pay for it, (and the funds clear) the book is yours to do with as you will.

They were merely pointing out that the Avengers 2 was in their minds the equal of the Avengers 1 with the one exception that it had a warble or warp or whatever you guys call it. I am not a comic collector, I am an auctioneer, I am not a fan of pressing, nor am I against it, I am however a big fan of bidding!

If someone bought it and pressed it flat and it seems likely that this might happen if a pressing type were to be the high bidder, (now I am going from memory so I don't want to put words in their mouths, [please don't beat them up they were nice to me]) but the way I remember it was if it was flat it would be a higher grade and perhaps close to the grade of the Avengers 1. Of course that is all speculation my part. I want folks to know that this collection has not been touched and if someone was to want to press books I would guess they would like this collection as many of the books that graded high were never pressed and still graded high but had warps or waves or wiggles in them.

OK?

Some of the CGC grades on those books are surprising. The Spidey 3 and 129 look far better than the assigned grade--129 looks like a 9.4/9.6 in the scan. Usually that's some barely visible technical defect, like a book-length non-color-breaking subscription crease or a big, invisible water stain. (shrug)

They most likely had creases, lots of the books were stored with piles of Sports Magizines, etc. many were laying flat with other stuff on them. We did not have them pressed, they are what they are. Opps, perhaps I'm looking for warble, what ever it is, my meaning is the books might not lay flat on a table.

Rob

Rob, does the AF15 have a dust shadow on the right side (the book looks tannish along the right side inside the slab) or is it my PC?

Brannon

I think Rob Lite might be better at this but, are we talking front or back?

I do know that they pointed to a small crease? on the back by the edge and a darker spot near the corner. I have no idea what a dust shadow is (wasn't that a tv show when I was a teenager?)

rob

Hey,

I am just trying to get the word out to any silver age collectors that might be interested in filling thier collection with some nice books. From my understanding this is an original one owner collection from a guy who had been collecting comics since he was a little kid. I dont think there is any reason for everyone to get so nasty.

You're funny... lol

You think this is nasty?... (:

Robs

lol

Well now with that little tidbit, you can expect the dealers to REALLY swarm as the pressers will come out in force.

I think it's been well known that for some time, CGC has suggested what pressing can do for some books.

I wasn't aware of this. Probably due to the fact that I never asked them.

I want you to pay real close attention to Avengers #2, it is in about the same shape as Avengers #1 and if it were pressed it would grade about the same, (not my opinion, {as it means squat} but the opinion of several of the folks at CGC.) The Avengers #2 is indicative of this collection, many are in fantastic shape and would grade much higher if pressed, however, they are not pressed, nor have they ever been pressed.

Robs

That is not what I said,

They said they might grade higher and be worth more if they were pressed...

Six of one, half dozen of the other.

Robs

lol

I wasn't aware of this. Probably due to the fact that I never asked them.

:gossip: Remember PCS?

Flash 106, huh? hm

Yeah, and it's a 7.0 ! Not the typical 2.0 or 3.0 we see 99.9% of the time.

Gorgeous pink cover !!!!!!

(Don't even try on this one....)

I didn't know "dibs" in the traditional context worked here on the boards... (:

Robs

lol

Recommended restoration for big bucks! (worship)

It's the future! :headbang:

Looking at the early graded unrestored Fantastic Four issues:

#3 in CGC 9.0 Census shows 1 in 9.6, 2 in 9.4, none in 9.2 and 8 in 9.0. GPA shows a 9.0 sold for $9500 in 2008.

#5 CGC 9.2 Census shows 5 in 9.4, 7 in 9.2. GPA shows a 9.2 copy sold for $26,200 in 2008.

#6 in CGC 9.4 Census shows 1 in 9.6 and 2 in 9.4 so tied for 2 best known copy. GPA shows a 9.2 selling for $8184 in 2005.

#8 in CGC 9.4 Census shows 1 in 9.6 and 4 in 9.4. GPA shows a copy sold for $8,259 in 2004

#12 CGC 9.2 Lots of copies in census. GPA shows a copy sold recently for $21,400.

Some impressive books that should sell for big $$. Not a pedigree collection but certainly a wonderful find with some near top of census copies.

Flash 106, huh? hm

Yeah, and it's a 7.0 ! Not the typical 2.0 or 3.0 we see 99.9% of the time.

Gorgeous pink cover !!!!!!

(Don't even try on this one....)

I didn't know "dibs" in the traditional context worked here on the boards... (:

I need a 106 for my Flash collection. The gloves are coming off! :devil:

Looking at the early graded unrestored Fantastic Four issues:

#3 in CGC 9.0 Census shows 1 in 9.6, 2 in 9.4, none in 9.2 and 8 in 9.0. GPA shows a 9.0 sold for $9500 in 2008.

#5 CGC 9.2 Census shows 5 in 9.4, 7 in 9.2. GPA shows a 9.2 copy sold for $26,200 in 2008.

#6 in CGC 9.4 Census shows 1 in 9.6 and 2 in 9.4 so tied for 2 best known copy. GPA shows a 9.2 selling for $8184 in 2005.

#8 in CGC 9.4 Census shows 1 in 9.6 and 4 in 9.4. GPA shows a copy sold for $8,259 in 2004

#12 CGC 9.2 Lots of copies in census. GPA shows a copy sold recently for $21,400.

Some impressive books that should sell for big $$. Not a pedigree collection but certainly a wonderful find with some near top of census copies.

that's a nice chunk of change for those FF's. :cloud9: