• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mound City Collection One of the Greatest Silver Age Finds of the Century

2,756 posts in this topic

The reason books showed up one day and then dissapeared the next was my son and another worker were updating the web site. We have the pictures all done now, our next step is to re-scan the slabbed copies.

We are still working on the dates, and trying to get you a pre-view date as well.

Rob

Rob:

I'm here in St Louis. I get the email newsletter and have for awhile in hopes of comics coming to an auction. Couple of points:

1) Selling runs of CGC books in lots doesn't sound like a good idea.

2) I'm in tight with plenty of St Louis collectors, some of them heavy hitters, and no one but me is aware of this auction.

3) I would strongly suggest a preview maybe the day/night before the auction or at least several hours. Bidders are going to want to see these books up close in order to set their bids appropriately.

Feel free to PM if you would like any additional input.

Mike

Rob, welcome to the boards!

It sounds as though you are going about things the right way, which is pretty rare for an "unconnected" person who is new - or "new-ish" as it may be - to the hobby.

Congratulations on the find, and best of luck in the auction.

Rob:

I'm here in St Louis. I get the email newsletter and have for awhile in hopes of comics coming to an auction. Couple of points:

1) Selling runs of CGC books in lots doesn't sound like a good idea.

2) I'm in tight with plenty of St Louis collectors, some of them heavy hitters, and no one but me is aware of this auction.

3) I would strongly suggest a preview maybe the day/night before the auction or at least several hours. Bidders are going to want to see these books up close in order to set their bids appropriately.

Feel free to PM if you would like any additional input.

Mike

I would also agree with the advice about lot sales. These are only offered at the other successful auction venues for books that are in lower demand to cut back on items that may not sell at all. While you will acheive some significant prices with lots your final tally will be reduced by a considerable degree. It would be like auctioning off 3 houses as a group as opposed to offering each individually. You will limit yourself to buyers interested in resale and looking for a profit margin. On the other hand....what you lose in profit may be justified by a desire to expedite the turnaround by consolidating shipping. Me, I'd rather spend more time shipping in return for a greater profit margin ....especially with the nicer material that predates 1965. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

As a preview, why not put up some of the lower-end books up for sale here at the GCG Comics Market - Selling Forum? It doesn't cost anything to list (you can sell them individually or in lots...) and it just may whet the appetite of some heavy duty collectors...just a thought.

Bill

Yes from my understanding people will not have to be present. On line bidding will be available
What's the date?

To anyone else planning on coming to the auction, you're chances of finding a bed at my place are slim. 2 boardies already. But I might squeeze in another if you and I are close enough to possibly split a hotel room at a con. However, it sounds like maybe we need to have a mini-forum/dealer dinner the night before/of the auction.

@jkrk: You have a spot reserved. No meals included. You share a bathroom. And it's $450/night. But it's homier than a hotel room.

mike, you know I am coming to catch a ball game with you too :baiting:

As a preview, why not put up some of the lower-end books up for sale here at the GCG Comics Market - Selling Forum? It doesn't cost anything to list (you can sell them individually or in lots...) and it just may whet the appetite of some heavy duty collectors...just a thought.

Bill

Perhaps you should consider selling some of the less desirable books on Ebay and include information on the rest of the collection in the Ebay auction text. You would expose the collection to thousands of collectors.

Good luck with the collection, you seen to be honest and fair and deserve great results.

Hi, this is Rob Lite, posting as MoundCityAuctions. I know I'm rehashing old news here, but we should have the location and exact dates and times for the auction shortly, most likely within a couple of days, a week on the outside.

If you were at the Chicago Comic Con this year, and picked up a flyer for this sale, you're looking at (or were looking at) my handiwork. If you met someone handing out those flyers, and they were wearing a grey cowboy hat and looking tired but happy - that was me. I'm the marketing director for Mound City Auctions, and I'm also the resident geek. I taught myself to read (with a liberal dose of help from both of my parents) by looking through the comic section of the Post-Dispatch as a child. I've loved comic books since I knew what they were.

You have my express apologies for the lack of full communication and the bad info that you've received - for example, the website is still not fully updated (the Auctionzip site at least). This also, should be corrected within the next couple of days.

If you are having problems viewing the full size scans of the books, please re-read the instructions at the top of the page. The scans were uploaded at full size, and were scanned in at 300 dpi, which makes them of sufficient size for even small damage to be easily visible, especially to your trained eyes. The books are what they are, and will sell for what they will. I for one, am not in the practice of misdirection or deception when it comes to the goods I bring to market. My reputation is more valuable to me than that.

Now, keep in mind that when I claim to be the resident geek, that I'm not claiming to be a comic book expert. Fan yes, expert, maybe in a few years. I am a quick study, however, and I'm learning more about this stuff every day.

Someone just posted about the number of lots in the auction - the list of comics that is online on our website right now is the inventory list - it has the full and complete list of all the books we found in this collection. It is not, however, the catalogue. A good number of the books, with a heavy emphasis on the ones we have had the CGC grade, will be their own individual lots. However, that leaves well over 1500 comics that for whatever reason, didn't justify being slabbed at this time, either due to condition or due to lack of rarity. We set the bar at roughly $150 per issue on GPA, if the books didn't make the cut, they will be sold unslabbed, likely in small groupings. With the lower value books, there will likely be lots comprising runs of 3 to 10 issues. I am, of course, open to suggestion from those who are more experienced in this field. I'm interested in learning as much as I can - working with these books has been a highlight of my professional career as an auctioneer (or if you prefer, auction company employee, whatever). I'm very interested in continuing to work with auctions and sales related to this type of collectible, especially collectibles of this quality. While it might very well be a spectacular collection, I never have called it "the auction of the century" or whatever the OP was terming this on our behalf. BTW, if anyone has contact information for the OP, please let me know.

Anyway - it's been great talking at you guys - I'll keep an eye on the responses here, and I'll have some more information for you all soon.

Rob M. Weiman (Rob Lite)

Marketing Director

Mound City Collectibles & Auctions

I will say this - this auction IS the best auction my company has ever had.

Selling the lower priced raw books in runs in a good idea. It will not hurt your bottom line much but will be considerably less work than trying to sell 3,000 books indvidually. I would definitely not group any CGC books worth over $200 in lots though. Looking forward to the auction. While this may not have been a pedigree worthy collection, there are some really nice books in there based on the scans on your website.

OK time for an update, I'll try to address some of your questions (had an auction today and just got home).

1) Online bidding will be available on both Proxibid and iCollector.

2) I am aiming at 500 lots per day in a two day auction with the best stuff offered in both days (eg Amazing Spider-Man one day X-Men on another), with 500 lots per day. Of course I will have to group lower end books. You can expect lots with ranges of $250 to $400 in expected bids as a minimum.

3) I am looking for your input but remember as the Auctioneer, in the end I get to decide but so far you have been giving me great input

4) Remember, this may be my first comic book auction but is far from my first auction. Please see my past auction section on my web site. I do know how to conduct an auction.

5) We will be following my posted terms and conditions. Please check for updates.

6) I will be uploading some of the grades tonight. It is just for the first box of about 6 boxes.

7) I have asked the CGC to post the scans they have.

8) These books have never been restored, never been pressed and some have good upgrade potential. Personally I have no horse in this race. Those of you who hate pressed books, this is your big chance to buy some that have not been pressed and let them be, those of you who want to press and re-slab, come and get em. It is up to you, let the best man (or woman) win. Remember to keep those bidder cards up!

9) I will not tolerate collusion in any form, if I get a hint of deal making I will not hesitate to pass a book and sell it in another auction. I play fair and you play fair. Collusion is a violation of the Sherman Anti-trust Act, it is a violation of Federal Law and can get you up to a 3 million dollar fine.

10)I use security cameras both hidden and the kind you can see, I will prosecute anyone caught stealing. I consider anyone stealing or hiding lots as stealing from my client, the company and the other bidders.

11) We will have a preview, we will have a full long day to look at the books, I do plan on having an orderly pre-view and will do my level best to get everyone on a level playing field.

12)I will not accept any pre-auction offers to buy any of these books. We will meet at the auction and anyone will have the chance to buy any book.

13)The vast majority of the CGC graded books will be sold book by book, some will be grouped in small groups (perhaps some of the Metal Men will go together) watch the website for what will sell on which day and the order of the sale.

14) I will set the order of the sale, so please don't ask to sell this or that first, I have been at this long enough to know I can't make all of you happy in this regard. Allow me to do my job.

15)We will have a safe place for you to stay at a good rate if you chose to fly or drive in.

Now I will go and upload some grades, and tend to my other auction stuff, looks like a long night again. Rob