• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mound City Collection One of the Greatest Silver Age Finds of the Century

2,756 posts in this topic

just a note: the people you want to be bidding $1000s on these comics, or who fly to buy comics in auctions don't usually dress up for Halloween on business trips. Just at home with their kids. And not for a chance at a lousy 100 bucks

I think I'll dress up as Rob Weiman the auctioneer...you'll see me loading beaucoups of graded comic books into a red GMC Canyon and burning rubber southward...

When we lived in Denver,

Rob Lites first job was at a little comic store (I think it was Starland). He was in Jr. High and they paid him in Star Wars Cards. We went to a convention (I had to drive him as he was a little guy). Here comes the relevent part, their was a higher KPSI (Klingon's Per Square Inch) there than anywhere I have ever been. I figured you comic types liked to have fun. It looked like it on the boards, lets leave it this way suits are allowed too. I know it's business, I know it's big money, but life is just to short to not enjoy your work. If I only wanted to make money I'd be back writing C++ software for Boeing, or installing panels (I am a degreed software engineer and a licensed master electrician). I do what I do because I love it!

Come to the auction or watch and bid on line (we will stream video and sound) you can wear a costume at the preview or at home, I don't care. I want you to have some fun and want to come to another auction if I have the good fortune to ever do another one.

rob

When we lived in Denver,

Rob Lites first job was at a little comic store (I think it was Starland). He was in Jr. High and they paid him in Star Wars Cards. We went to a convention (I had to drive him as he was a little guy). Here comes the relevent part, their was a higher KPSI (Klingon's Per Square Inch) there than anywhere I have ever been. I figured you comic types liked to have fun. It looked like it on the boards, lets leave it this way suits are allowed too. I know it's business, I know it's big money, but life is just to short to not enjoy your work. If I only wanted to make money I'd be back writing C++ software for Boeing, or installing panels (I am a degreed software engineer and a licensed master electrician). I do what I do because I love it!

Come to the auction or watch and bid on line (we will stream video and sound) you can wear a costume at the preview or at home, I don't care. I want you to have some fun and want to come to another auction if I have the good fortune to ever do another one.

rob

Well said indeed.

just a note: the people you want to be bidding $1000s on these comics, or who fly to buy comics in auctions don't usually dress up for Halloween on business trips. Just at home with their kids. And not for a chance at a lousy 100 bucks

I think I'll dress up as Rob Weiman the auctioneer...you'll see me loading beaucoups of graded comic books into a red GMC Canyon and burning rubber southward...

Can't find a mask that ugly, don't even try! Rob

How many of these auctions have you actually been to? The last couple I attended, there was a guy in attendance who dropped well over $5k and smelled like a rotting wildebeest. And, given his relative geographic proximity, I'd wager he'll be in attendance at this too.

I hold 8 to 12 auctions per month, comic auctions, exactly none.

I don't care what the bidders smell like as long as I can cover it up with the scent of thousands and thousands of dollars! Heck I'll buy room fresheners and fabreze.

Rob

lol Well put! I'll be seeing you in November! (I'll be the one with the pine tree air fresheners dangling from my ears.)

I hold 8 to 12 auctions per month, comic auctions, exactly none.

I don't care what the bidders smell like as long as I can cover it up with the scent of thousands and thousands of dollars! Heck I'll buy room fresheners and fabreze.

Rob

lol Well put! I'll be seeing you in November! (I'll be the one with the pine tree air fresheners dangling from my ears.)

imagine if they include a free buffet! they'd have to sell tickets (:

How many of these auctions have you actually been to? The last couple I attended, there was a guy in attendance who dropped well over $5k and smelled like a rotting wildebeest. And, given his relative geographic proximity, I'd wager he'll be in attendance at this too.

thats a personal hygeine issue... unless his costume reeked!

thats a personal hygeine issue... unless his costume reeked!

:signfunny:

("rotting wildebeest")

Hey, Rob Lite posting again.

Thanks for the advice on the listing - I've switched over to only including the information on the CGC label, aside from small relevant notes (i.e. minor damage to left corner, etc).

You have to understand that, being the comic dork that I am, when I got the opportunity to get paid to wade through this collection and inventory it, it was a dream come true. Now, I know my dad is gonna read this later, and I want to stress how much I love my job at all times, but there is a pronounced difference between researching registry marks on antique English porcelain goods, or measuring antique collectible ladies hatpins (both are things we've sold at high level auctions before) and being "forced" to look up hundreds and thousands of vintage comic books. Also, when I started the inventory, I was working without an overstreet, and was relying on sites like www.comicbookdb.com to figure out which issues had the first appearances and such.

I will never forget what it felt like to go through this collection for the first time. No offense to my parents, they've learned a lot about this stuff by osmosis, but they didn't know just by the covers which issues to set aside and try not to breath on until you could get them sleeved. I about jumped out of my skin when I ran across The Avengers #1, ran upstairs screaming when I found X-Men #1, and I was literally struck dumb when I held AF #15 for the first time.

So, if I went a little overboard on the description, please forgive this young nerd his fanboylike obsession, and I promise that the remaining updates to the list will be more terse and informative to the educated collector.

Oh, and I better see some kickass costumes. I'm angling for a Halloween party after the preview (not joking, I'm going to see if there will be one at the Ameristar, and if there isn't, there will be, there or somewhere nearby - Halloween is my favorite holiday, and I will be in costume for the 31st)

Thanks for the advice on the listing - I've switched over to only including the information on the CGC label, aside from small relevant notes (i.e. minor damage to left corner, etc).

You have to understand that, being the comic dork that I am, when I got the opportunity to get paid to wade through this collection and inventory it, it was a dream come true. Now, I know my dad is gonna read this later, and I want to stress how much I love my job at all times, but there is a pronounced difference between researching registry marks on antique English porcelain goods, or measuring antique collectible ladies hatpins (both are things we've sold at high level auctions before) and being "forced" to look up hundreds and thousands of vintage comic books. Also, when I started the inventory, I was working without an overstreet, and was relying on sites like www.comicbookdb.com to figure out which issues had the first appearances and such.

I will never forget what it felt like to go through this collection for the first time. No offense to my parents, they've learned a lot about this stuff by osmosis, but they didn't know just by the covers which issues to set aside and try not to breath on until you could get them sleeved. I about jumped out of my skin when I ran across The Avengers #1, ran upstairs screaming when I found X-Men #1, and I was literally struck dumb when I held AF #15 for the first time.

So, if I went a little overboard on the description, please forgive this young nerd his fanboylike obsession, and I promise that the remaining updates to the list will be more terse and informative to the educated collector.

Oh, and I better see some kickass costumes. I'm angling for a Halloween party after the preview (not joking, I'm going to see if there will be one at the Ameristar, and if there isn't, there will be, there or somewhere nearby - Halloween is my favorite holiday, and I will be in costume for the 31st)

Easy to forgive your enthusiasm and fanboy obsession. We all wish we were in your shoes.

I knew you'd understand...I'm in good company on this board it seems.

I don't have the budget for the vintage stuff myself - so rather than tease myself with low quality issues of vintage books, I've instead put my collecting focus on a couple of modern titles. I personally collect The Dark Tower and The Stand series. My goal is a complete set of every variant, including the new 3rd printing of the Gunslinger Born that they just came out with a little while ago. I have a lot of them left to get. #1 on my list is the David Finch color variant. If I had the money, I'd buy the original art of that cover, it's gorgeous.

Art-wise, I have what I believe to be a limited edition litho of a Robert Motherwell painting, a high quality digital print (glossy paper, original was a digital painting, so its as close to being an original as you can get of this particular painting) of art from Magic: The Gathering (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=147423 is the card) by Daarken (picked that one up at Comic Con in Chicago a couple of weeks ago, along with a bunch of other cool stuff). I got Andy Braz to sign an 11" x 14" print of his illustration for the cover of Powerless #4, as well as a copy of the comic itself.

I can't say I blame you one bit. If I made a 'find' like yours, I'd be banned for spamming, such would be my level of enthusiasm.

what a great story lol I can just picture it

okay. Ill shut the f up. just tryin to help as you have a lot of work to do...

Rob(s)... I'd encourage you to take aman's points to heart... he's right, less will be more, and less work for you in the bargain

Okay, the first scans of the slabbed comics should be available online now. We finished scanning the two first boxes this morning, and they have been sorted, renamed, and uploaded to their appropriate places. The links from the website will take you to the same albums, but the new scans should be the first ones to show up in their respective albums. The scans match the upload we did for the text yesterday, so you can check them, and see for yourselves now.

We have a regular estate auction tomorrow, so I won't be working on this then, but I'll be back on it by Monday at the latest (unless of course Lisa goes into labor, in which case it will simply have to wait a bit).

Also,

I want you to pay real close attention to Avengers #2, it is in about the same shape as Avengers #1 and if it were pressed it would grade about the same, (not my opinion, [as it means squat] but the opinion of several of the folks at CGC.) The Avengers #2 is indicative of this collection, many are in fantastic shape and would grade much higher if pressed, however, they are not pressed, nor have they ever been pressed.

Robs