• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CHALLENGERS OF THE UNKNOWN Appreciation Thread

197 posts in this topic

Here's my contribution to a great thread topic!!!

5BD5036F-FEB3-4FC8-AB7D-937A2AD23B7B-1466-000000AC7DAF87BA_zpsc4e6fae3.jpg

I recall having a low grade copy of CHALLS 1 several decades ago, but wasn't into Silver Age at the time and thus never read it before I traded it away.

Won't make that mistake again.

Some of the early CHALLS run covers are truly excellent, some not so excellent. Guess it's going to depend on what I can find at a reasonable price.

Has anyone read (or have comments on) the four Showcase issues of CHALLS?

I have, and they are very interesting - I am reminded of classic 50's sci-fi movies with a dash of Harryhausen.

It's quite something to see how this four character group develops, perhaps paving the way for the Fantastic Four later on.

Has anyone read (or have comments on) the four Showcase issues of CHALLS?

I have, and they are very interesting - I am reminded of classic 50's sci-fi movies with a dash of Harryhausen.

It's quite something to see how this four character group develops, perhaps paving the way for the Fantastic Four later on.

....I love all the Kirby issues........ SC 6 is oviously influenced by Harryhausen. The Kirby/Wood batch are particularly cool, but my favorite is probably SC 11 ..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

At SDCC, I picked this up from Worldwide Comics - a tight mid-grade with white pages, it was the only copy I saw at the show (I did find two Showcase #6's, but they were very low grade).

58e6dcaf-e7ce-40da-a380-e763efaf866d_zpse18b75b0.jpg

I'm glad they're in low demand. That keeps the price down for the proud enthusiasts such as myself. I'll let the rest of them go after the X-Men and Punisher titles.

:)

Just for the record, at SDCC I came across 3x copies of Showcase 11 (2 low-grade, 1 mid-grade) and 1x Showcase 12 (low-grade).

So that was just 8 copies (total) of the four Showcase issues at the Con.

By contrast, I saw 1,568,779,640,331 copies of FF48. :insane:

Just for the record, at SDCC I came across 3x copies of Showcase 11 (2 low-grade, 1 mid-grade) and 1x Showcase 12 (low-grade).

So that was just 8 copies (total) of the four Showcase issues at the Con.

By contrast, I saw 1,568,779,640,331 copies of FF48. :insane:

lol