• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When did (will) you spend the most cash on OA?

When did (will) you spend the most cash?  

282 members have voted

1. 1. When did (will) you spend the most cash?

41 posts in this topic

Hari,

Not a very Active poster here, or even on the comicart-l, but I just wanted to say I appreciate these polls and the discussion that has/will come of it. Very enlightening and entertaining for a small fish like me.

Thanks to all the old and new timers that have added/will add to these discussions as well.

Brian

I would have put over 1k for spent but I missed out on a Tim Sale cover. I had sold before they could pull it off the web site. Should have gone ahead and bought a different one that they had for a few hundred more but just wasn't feeling it. Now I kinda want it.

The strangest one that I have had happen was buying the back cover of Treasury Comic C53 (Santa and Rudolph by Sheldon Mayer). I'd bought the front cover on Heritage and had supplied a scan to Rob of www.treasurycomics.com for his web site.

Since Rob credits submitters, Google picked up my name. So, one night I decided to show my wife that I was famous by googling 'Treasury Comics alex johnson" and it went right there.

She was most impressed, I'm sure.

Anyway, she moved the mouse over the front cover on the page and it showed the back cover which is a follow-up to the front cover (a 2 page story if you will).

I said, "I'll probably never see that back cover. It's probably been destroyed or will be sold in some place when I'm not watching."

She left for the airport the next night and I came home and used my favorite eBay search and the fourth item on the search was that back cover.

Yep, I had a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity right after saying to my wife it would never happen.

I won it, too.

Front Cover - http://cafurl.com?i=13301

Back Cover - http://cafurl.com?i=13302

Published compared to Original, go here and scroll down:

http://cafurl.com?i=13303

Enjoy.

I will be picking up my most expensive page at Mid Ohio. I bought it last year but it's oversized and Mr. Kitson wanted to bring it on the plane rather than try and mail it.

Can't wait.

I might try and spend a bunch on a good Mahnke page if one strikes me, will see.

Hari,

Another round of great polls.

Since you collect mainly older art( I think), you missed one more source on the "Who Do You Buy From" poll, and that would be direct from the artist. I've got quite a few pieces in my collection I was lucky enough to get direct.

And the value of my collection? Depends on who you ask :insane:

Hari,

Another round of great polls.

Since you collect mainly older art( I think), you missed one more source on the "Who Do You Buy From" poll, and that would be direct from the artist. I've got quite a few pieces in my collection I was lucky enough to get direct.

And the value of my collection? Depends on who you ask :insane:

You're right! I did forget that as a major source of art. I have actually bought directly from the artist, and it was a great experience.

For anyone curious, here's how I answered:

1. When did (will) you spend the most cash?

After 2009. I figure those Sandman #4 pages will come to light some day....

2. Do you anticipate spending more cash in the future on OA?

Yes.

3. How do you buy?

Mostly cash. Haven't really been approached with or offered trade from my art collection at this point in a long time, although I did acquire some pages years ago trading comic books for art.

4. Who do you buy from?

All of the options listed, although primarily through dealers.

5. What is total value of your collection?

Not really sure? Not like there is some guide out there for values. I would think at this time, it would likely fall in the 30 - 50k. Obviously won't know unless I had to liquidate.

6. What are your plans for your collection over the next 5 years?

I plan to sell some of it. Figure I would do this to fund towards future purchases like I recently did, especially since my focus might shift to other artists / characters someday.

Will be interesting to see the overall results.

Later.

-Will

Thanks for the nice discussion/polls everyone and Hari...

Here are some of my thoughts and opinions etc...the views of a somewhat novice collector...

1. When did (will) you spend the most cash?

This year (or when a grail is for sale by a fellow collector or art lover some day).

2. Do you anticipate spending more cash in the future on OA?

Yes.

3. How do you buy?

Cash so far.

I've tried to trade with dealers, but have found they value their stuff too high, and your stuff too low. I just don't hold a dealer in the highest regard (as a profession, this is my experience, some dealers can be wonderful though), a dealer buys and sells paper/media (wow!), so I try to be careful who I give money to. I have passed on items I really wanted b/c for example I saw something go on Heritage for 1k$ a year ago, and now sits on a dealer site for 5k$ (they keep an archive at Heritage so you can see what something sold for). I pass b/c I don't feel a dealer earned anything by having good timing and me not being aware of the auction. No problem, there is always another piece that may be 'better' to come along!!! The same goes for the dealer though, a buyer may come along...no problem.

After light being shed on all the manipulation/restoration and acceptance of restoration/manipulation (pressing), I sold my comics and bought art (over a few years). Didn't want to keep those practices alive buy buying comics. I still buy some new comics and reprints like the DC Showcase Presents, for example (Haunted Tank, HoM, HoS, Jonah Hex, Unknown Soldier, Enemy Ace etc). And the dark horse reprints of Creepy and Eerie hardcovers (with Frazetta covers!). Also great EC reprints (even though I find that stuff a bit 'difficult' to read sometimes b/c of the era I guess, the art rules).

4. Who do you buy from?

All of the options listed, mostly Ebay until about 2 years ago though.

I definitely prefer private transactions, I don't feel middle men really earn their money just by having money to buy something you are passionate about and some good timing (b/c maybe you have a career and kids and can't scour the internet searching for things you like as often as you desire to).

I encourage all collectors to buy/sell/trade with each other, I think we would be even more happy with the results! But the negative side to that is why not sell through a Heritage auction and get the mostest money you can! But seriously, think of all the money we can spend on art rather than giving it to dealers and auction houses. Times have changed with the internet, we don't need middle men anymore (not that we ever reeeeally did).

5. What is total value of your collection?

I have to ask my brother

6. What are your plans for your collection over the next 5 years?

After a few years of unfocused collecting, I found what I really like and will trade/sell (things I don't love as much anymore) and pay cash for stuff I like.

Unless I lose my carrer/job, spending will only increase as I don't like the stock market (my better half spends her money on that stuff), and you (I) can't enjoy stocks/real estate like you (I) can enjoy art hanging in the house. When buying expensive items, it's difficult not to think of value, but I never buy art thinking I can flip and make money (so far)...but I also don't want to lose too much. Because I am a terrible business man, I have never made significant money selling art or comics for more than I paid (maybe -10 to +10%). I watch everyone else do it frequently though and hope to join in some day. :baiting: I just feel weird buying something for 2500$ and then selling (trying to sell it) for 6500$ a few months later.

I feel fortunate to have some cash to play with in this hobby and to have a job/career. It's so exciting finding something you love. I apologize in advance if my opinions differ from yours and therefore (may) offend you.

You're welcome, Brian. I'm on vacation this week, hence the ability to spend time on these boards. Might as well make it count!

Hari

Hey Hari

Is this a covert way for you to find out who might be thinking of selling and getting a headstart on everyone else?

:devil:

Oh, I think people already know where to find me if they have something I might want. Seriously, though, the poll is anonymous, so I don't know who's looking to sell, looking to buy, etc. A few folks are making their opinions/votes public, which is great and eye-opening. I encourage others to do that if they want, as it will certainly add to the discussion afterwards. I might even post my own votes.

Hari