• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Call me old fashion, but when buying a raw book at a Con ...

54 posts in this topic

don't you ask to see the inside of the comic? I was at the Toronto Fan Expo on Sunday and witnessed a fair bit of buying -- good for the dealers. But was I the only one to ask to see inside the books before making a purchasing decision?

I particular, I saw one enthusiastic fan plop down $75 for a nice Steranko cover (X-Men I think) that the dealer pulled from behind his table. Instant sale, added to the pile. Now this buyer might already know this particular book but I got the impression of an instant purchase.

Does no one worry about the sinking feeling of buyer's regret when that great looking book is missing a coupon, has rusted staples or smells like old cigarettes?

don't you ask to see the inside of the comic? I was at the Toronto Fan Expo on Sunday and witnessed a fair bit of buying -- good for the dealers. But was I the only one to ask to see inside the books before making a purchasing decision?

I particular, I saw one enthusiastic fan plop down $75 for a nice Steranko cover (X-Men I think) that the dealer pulled from behind his table. Instant sale, added to the pile. Now this buyer might already know this particular book but I got the impression of an instant purchase.

Does no one worry about the sinking feeling of buyer's regret when that great looking book is missing a coupon, has rusted staples or smells like old cigarettes?

Make Mine Pall Mall

Hey, not if you trust the dealer. Most of those guys that carried the vintage books were solid guys.

I inspect the insides of most big books I purchase.

I'm pretty sure most don't check every book.

While I don't plop that much down on one book, I have learned from my last con to start checking for the future. Some purchased at a big dealer table, one comic was water damaged, one the cf was missing (affects story) and the other one was OK. Luckily my other purchases were great but from smaller deals. Again, the books were not expensive but I will now always open them up and inspect them before purchasing.

If it's a dealer you know or have heard of, you can just contact them about the defects you found. Most dealers would have no problem making amends on things they may have missed. (It's in their best interest to do so.)

I've missed stuff on some stuff sold at conventions and I made sure to fix the issue when contacted about it. (I even paid for return shipping and offered to let them keep part of the sale for free.)

The same buyer has purchased from me at subsequent conventions over the years when I've set up. (I only set up at local conventions though and then irregularly.)

If you don't know how to contact that dealer, just ask the promoter for the information.

I made a rather large purchase at the con and the inside of the book was actually what sold it for me.

But I have impulse bought at cons before, truthfully. Never yet regretted it but that's more luck than skill.

-Rob-

Was it THE book you were there looking for? hm

Good, honest dealers will take the book back, no questions asked, if for any reason the buyer is unhappy with it.

I remember looking through a pretty expensive book at a high profile dealer's booth. I tend to do this with dealers who's grading may not be as tight as I'd like. Thank god I did because I saw that the centerfold was detached at the bottom staple, lowering the grade below what they had on it. Another good reason to open up a book is to look for interior tanning, tape, staining of any kind, or tears.

Even if you feel like you trust the dealer, a book can't be accurately graded through the bag/mylar. For very small purchases I might skip taking them out under time constraints.

Also, you never know, you could buy a book and the wraps were put back together in the wrong order. :whistle: