• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Knowing the Previous Price or even the Original Price

30 posts in this topic

examples of supply and demand, NOT true market value.

are you serious? supply and demand ARE what makes mrket value!!! how else would you come up with market value?

I was about to say the same thing.

Supply and Demand determine market value!

Malvin

What the price of a piece was a few years back is irrelevant...think GM, Citigroup or Lehman Bros stock. Current market is all that matters, bounded by supply and demand and expectations... I missed the cover for IM 283 for 250 bucks...i would pay 10 times that price for that piece now or more.

Yeah, I think this is really where I need to be.

As I stated, I'm not lamenting the fact that I didn't buy this page 10 years ago at a lower price, I'm debating whether knowing the original and previous prices paid for a given piece are preventing me for paying today's cost for a piece.

What the price of a piece was a few years back is irrelevant...think GM, Citigroup or Lehman Bros stock. Current market is all that matters, bounded by supply and demand and expectations... I missed the cover for IM 283 for 250 bucks...i would pay 10 times that price for that piece now or more.

I wouldn't...so there you go.

examples of supply and demand, NOT true market value.

are you serious? supply and demand ARE what makes mrket value!!! how else would you come up with market value?

Yes, very....hype and manipulation drive up costs NOT true market value, because true market value is a myth.

the dollar is a myth. it is based off of the faith and credit of the US government! it should be based off of something like gold!

but wait... gold is a myth too! gold is just a purdy substance with no industrial use. it is only worth somthing because people think it is!!!

oil is much more likely to give us a worth. but then again, we are finding more and more of the stuff in the ground everyday!

old comics aren't coming out of the wordwork so maybe that's the best gauge of value. shoot. i fergot. they are BASED off of myth so tha won't work...

it. let's just ask BucOne what everything is worth. that seems like the easiest solution....

I would say that hype can manipulate art more than anything. Go to any major con and you will see some AF15's. You will only find ONE cover to ASM 100. Only ONE cover to Hulk 340. That is why it is so hard to determine "market value" for oa. Doesn't mean there is no market value. Market values go up and they go down. They can go up via manipulation and down via manipulation (see the stock market) but that doesn't mean there is no such thing as "market value". It's like saying there is no such thing as air! There are millions of particles in air that make it contaminated so there really is no such thing... REEDIKULUS!!!

he has a point...he just forgot to say it's both supply/demand and hype and manipulation (maybe more so with comics books though)...that can drive up costs...

I disagree. It's stilil all supply and demand. Hype can increase demand artificially, while manipulation can decrease supply and/or increase demand artificially. Hype and manipulation therefore artificially affect the market value, but they do it through the supply/demand relationship like all other more "legitimate" factors.

The savvvy buyer needs to figure out what is driving supply/demand for each market. If you think the market value is based on artificial supply (manipulation; i.e someone hoarding the art and letting out a little at a time), or artificial demand (ie., temporary movie hype, etc.), then you need to take that into account when assessing true value.

Hari

he has a point...he just forgot to say it's both supply/demand and hype and manipulation (maybe more so with comics books though)...that can drive up costs...

I disagree. It's stilil all supply and demand. Hype can increase demand artificially, while manipulation can decrease supply and/or increase demand artificially. Hype and manipulation therefore artificially affect the market value, but they do it through the supply/demand relationship like all other more "legitimate" factors.

The savvvy buyer needs to figure out what is driving supply/demand for each market. If you think the market value is based on artificial supply (manipulation; i.e someone hoarding the art and letting out a little at a time), or artificial demand (ie., temporary movie hype, etc.), then you need to take that into account when assessing true value.

Hari

Well said Hari!

At the end of the day, it's still supply and demand, you can tweak both sides of the equation by hoarding art or hyping it, but supply and demand determine prices.

Malvin