• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This Thread is Dedicated to all Those Comic Collectors ...

18 posts in this topic

without employment!

Maybe I'm just being optimistic or hopeful, but seems like their has been a few good economic signs lately.

I have been blessed to have been employed for twenty straight years and haven't suffered any of the hardships associated with not having a job.

So, this thread is dedicated to all those who are currently unemployed with the hopes that you may soon join the ranks of the working (if that's your goal).

And with that, you can buy all those comics you long to have.

:headbang:

without employment!

Maybe I'm just being optimistic or hopeful, but seems like their has been a few good economic signs lately.

I have been blessed to have been employed for twenty straight years and haven't suffered any of the hardships associated with not having a job.

So, this thread is dedicated to all those who are currently unemployed with the hopes that you may soon join the ranks of the working (if that's your goal).

And with that, you can buy all those comics you long to have.

:headbang:

(thumbs u

:sumo: Hiyo!

I am literally dying inside everyday for almost a month since I was let go from my job!

P.S.

Hopefully in a week or two I will have me a new job and I can catch up on DC's Blackest Night and all my other books!

Went from a strong two years of buying 15+ DC titles (Plus +5 Dynamite Entertainment Comics, 1 Vertigo, 1 Marvel) every two weeks... to nothing for the pass 20+ days.

Not seeing any upswings here. It picked up a little bit about a month ago, but in the last week we're completely dead. I suspect the axe will swing again soon.

I was out of work for almost a year before I found something, so hold on one day at a time.

:foryou:

seems that some of the unemployed people who were trying to get my wife to help them get some hourly work (my wife's office has some data entry positions that pop up now and then that she has control over -- $15 an hour, enough to live off) have found more stable employment. i'm not hearing as many stories of desperation as 2-3 months ago.

there's a guy in my office who has been working for free for 3 months trying to boost his experience to be more marketable (that had been paying him a few bucks an hour before that, but the funding dried up). he has had some promising interviews and I think he's pretty close to landing a full time job. I wish I could help him, but we have a total hiring freeze and none of my friends with their own law firms are hiring right now. i feel bad, he has a kid, but his wife at least makes a pretty nice salary, so it's not like they're going to be homeless.

seems that some of the unemployed people who were trying to get my wife to help them get some hourly work (my wife's office has some data entry positions that pop up now and then that she has control over -- $15 an hour, enough to live off) have found more stable employment. i'm not hearing as many stories of desperation as 2-3 months ago.

there's a guy in my office who has been working for free for 3 months trying to boost his experience to be more marketable (that had been paying him a few bucks an hour before that, but the funding dried up). he has had some promising interviews and I think he's pretty close to landing a full time job. I wish I could help him, but we have a total hiring freeze and none of my friends with their own law firms are hiring right now. i feel bad, he has a kid, but his wife at least makes a pretty nice salary, so it's not like they're going to be homeless.

My brother was layed off from a firm back in December. He has a B.A. a J.D. and two LL.M.'s and can't find a position.

My brother was layed off from a firm back in December. He has a B.A. a J.D. and two LL.M.'s and can't find a position.

Just curious, what are his LLMs in? Is one of them in tax?

Taxation is one, and Trial Advocacy is the other.

Taxation is one, and Trial Advocacy is the other.

That's really surprising. Generally tax lawyers with experience and a LLM do not have trouble finding work. Is he in a small market?

He moved to Oklahoma after having lived in New Jersey and Colorado. I would say he has a lack of network in Oklahoma on the professional level, although his family all lives here.

There's not a huge amount of posted jobs for attorneys in this state so the assumption I've made is that most jobs are made through person to person contact.

Just curious, why did you assume it was Taxation?

And this is a serious issue and has been for a decade -- the erosion of GOOD jobs. It's not new with the recent recession, but more people are experiencing what I experienced when I was laid off in 2004... good jobs are disappearing. It's really tough replacing a good salary. I'm basically where I was in 2000. Adjusted for inflation I'm probably where I was in 97/98.

Many of those that have lost jobs in the last year will learn that they will have to settle for less and adjust their lifestyle. The ones that land $100K jobs are very few and far between these days.

To anyone laid off - :foryou:

If you need help with a resume or cover letter, PM me.

I was downsized a few years ago and went the freelance route...something that I had always wanted to do but lacked the guts to give up the security of a regular paycheck. I absolutely LOVE being a freelancer, I have a ton of freedom and make a lot more money for a lot less work.

He moved to Oklahoma after having lived in New Jersey and Colorado. I would say he has a lack of network in Oklahoma on the professional level, although his family all lives here.

There's not a huge amount of posted jobs for attorneys in this state so the assumption I've made is that most jobs are made through person to person contact.

Just curious, why did you assume it was Taxation?

It's one of the more common LLMs. I doubt he would have the same trouble finding a position in a large city like New York, but I could be wrong. My dad has a LLM in tax and he always claimed that it was the degree most likely to land a person a job in any market.