• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who is the greatest publisher ever ............ DC or Marvel?

If considering only these 2 publishers, who is the greatest publisher ever?  

501 members have voted

1. 1. If considering only these 2 publishers, who is the greatest publisher ever?

155 posts in this topic

It's so obviously DC. They had the first super heroes in the GA; the first superheroes in the SA; the greater number of characters recognized all around the globe.

And, they brought us Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns, nothing like them from Marvel, certainly not at the time.

O, and everything Kubert!

O x2, Kirby did his best work at DC. :sumo:

But most importantly, they gave me (er, us) Barry Allen and Adam Strange by Carmine Infantino. :luhv: :luhv: :luhv:

1967 Comic Book Sales Figures

Average Total Paid Circulation as Reported in Publishers' Statements of Ownership

Title Publisher Avg. paid circ.

1) Batman DC 805,700

2) Superman DC 649,300

3) Superboy DC 547,100

4) World's Finest Comics DC 537,200

5) Archie Archie 484,648

6) Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen DC 450,700

7) Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane DC 448,400

8) Detective Comics DC 425,700

9) Action Comics DC 420,900

10) Adventure Comics DC 412,800

11) Man from U.N.C.L.E. Dell 411,235

12) Justice League of America DC 385,800

13) Tarzan Gold Key 384,450

14) Amazing Spider-Man Marvel 361,663

15) Betty and Veronica Archie 349,632

16) Brave & Bold DC 342,400

17) Fantastic Four Marvel 329,536

18) Walt Disney's Comics & Stories Gold Key 310,665

19) Dennis the Menace Fawcett 308,736

20) Treasure Chest Catholic Guild 306,80

Has anybody ever met anybody who collected Treasure Chest Catholic Guild?

I have met people who collect Archie,Ducks and Dennis but I have never met a Treasure Chest fan, it must have been popular at 300,000 sales a month.

Let's sort this list logically.

Great books bought by happy fan boys

Fantastic Four Marvel 329,536

Amazing Spider-Man Marvel 361,663

Batman DC 805,700

Detective Comics DC 425,700

Adventure Comics DC 412,800

Books bought by mom for unhappy fan boys

Superman DC 649,300

Superboy DC 547,100

World's Finest Comics DC 537,200

Archie Archie 484,648

Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen DC 450,700

Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane DC 448,400

Action Comics DC 420,900

Man from U.N.C.L.E. Dell 411,235

Justice League of America DC 385,800

Tarzan Gold Key 384,450

Betty and Veronica Archie

Brave & Bold DC 342,400

Walt Disney's Comics & Stories Gold Key 310,665

Dennis the Menace Fawcett 308,736

Treasure Chest Catholic Guild [/b]306,80

good stuff but It still doesn`t answer my question about the Treasure Chest Catholic Guild , there were over 300,000 of them,reading it religiously(no pun intended) month after month, what happened to these comicbook readers, what were thier legacy? Will we ever know or is the answer lost to obscurity? :D

I voted for Marvel. I’ve read and collected Marvel since childhood. I’ve also read a lot of DC. I had to think about the vote more than I expected, since I’m such a Marvel fan.

DC had the great golden age, and I liked many of the silver age DC’s; Batman, Detective, Superman, Action, LSH Adventure, Green Lantern, Flash, and Kubert and Heath. DC is a great publisher with a great legacy.

Marvel had some good golden age stuff too; Marvel had Cap and Subby and Kirby and Everett. I just love all of Marvel’s silver age stuff.

Gold key and DC got me reading comics. Marvel kept me reading comics. I really like them both.

Marvel dominates the Silver Age in terms of innovation characte creation and writing - though they lagged behind DC in sales. Timely books have cooler covers than GA DC for the most part - but in terms of characters, historic books,writing, villians and even art - DC has to be considered dominant.

Atlas kept pace with DC for sheer variety in the 50s, and the precode output is less tame, but few titles had longevity.

The BA was one of innovation for both companies in the beginning, followed by steep decline. While DC was perhaps more interesting at the beginning, Marvel owns the end of the era with the success of X-men and Miller's DD run.

Starting in the Copper Age DC shows it self to be way more daring in terms of writers(the Brit invasion) and a willingness to let creators run wild with even it's flagship characters- notably with Elesworlds and Vertigo books. Lack of a "house style" in tems of art - allows for greater variety there as well.

Overall, Marvel wins out on fanboy devotion, and probably sales over the last forty years- but DC is the greater publisher when looking at the whole picture.

:kidaround: Hiyo!

I cannot believe with the constant new origins, horrible explainations of those who died to return later, horrible story-arcs, horrible universal events, numerious variants... that anyone would choose Marvel over DC!

DC is comic publishing... BOOM!

P.S.

Anti-Life justifies my love for DC and Grant Morrison approves!

Vertigo > Marvel

Vertigo = DC

∴ DC > Marvel

I am a Marvel Zombie, and I voted Marvel in the poll based on the core Superhero worlds that the two companies have created, but in the spirit of the original question, "who is the greatest publisher?", I would have to admit that DC is indeed the better publisher, both in terms of content, and in terms of product.

40's-DC

50's-DC

60's-Marvel

70's-Marvel

80-85-Marvel

85-90-DC

90-Now- DC (because of Vertigo)

Again, core characters? Marvel.

Publishing jugernaut? DC puts out more creative works, thru Vertigo, Wildstorm and ABC titles, and has much better production values and price points.