• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the top ten bronze keys if we started a portfolio?

65 posts in this topic

House of Secrets 92

All-Star Western 10

Zap Comics 1

Cerebus 1

Conan the Barbarian 1

X-Men 94

Green Lantern 76

Giant Size X-Men 1

Incredible Hulk 181

Good list, Cimm.

If you are looking for a 10 year hold, stick with the books that have stood the test of time and will keep on rising just like we all should have done with SA keys like AF #15, FF #1, etc. 10 years ago. Yes, there will always be movie-relates interest in books, but the biggest gains $ wise will still be made by the biggest keys.

Books like TOD 1, TOD 10, Marvel Feature 1, Defenders 1, Marvel Spotlight 2, WBN 1, and WBN 32 have likely topped out for a while because they were run up too high too fast, represent second tier characters, AND there are plenty of copies out there in high grade to meet demand.

My list, in no particular order of importance, would be similar to the one Cimm posted:

Givens:

ASM #129

Green Lantern #76

HOS #92

Hulk #181

GS X-Men #1

Star Wars #1 35-cent variant

Conan 1

X-Men #94

Cerebus #1 (1st printing)

Zap Comics #1 (1st printing)

On the bubble:

Green Lantern #87

ASM #121 and #122

All Star Western #10 (I would not buy until after the move flops)

Batman #232

Batman #227

FF #112

This is exactly the kind of thinking required to compile a list of top ten books for investment purposes. (thumbs u

GSXM1 I feel should not be in the top ten-----take a good look at how many CGC census 9.4 copies are graded and be prepared to fall over backwards. Its common in 9.4 grade gasp!

Supply and demand. :gossip:

+1

people always look past the demand part of the equation...

House of Secrets 92

All-Star Western 10

Zap Comics 1

Cerebus 1

Conan the Barbarian 1

X-Men 94

Green Lantern 76

Giant Size X-Men 1

Incredible Hulk 181

On the money (thumbs u

I would also add Iron fist 14 (35c variant)

ASM 121 and 122

Completely agree with this list.

GSXM1 I feel should not be in the top ten-----take a good look at how many CGC census 9.4 copies are graded and be prepared to fall over backwards. Its common in 9.4 grade gasp!

Supply and demand. :gossip:

+1

people always look past the demand part of the equation...

no truer words could be spoken. incredible hulk #181 and ASM #300 are a prime example of this.

Why is All Star Western #10 a key? I know it is the 1st appearance of Jonah Hex, but it is still just a western, isn't it. What makes it more popular (if it is) than the Two Gun Kid, Rawhide Kid, Kid Colt etc...? I like the current Jonah Hex comic, but I also like the current Lone Ranger. In otherwords, if it is a good western story and art I will read it. Was Jonah Hex popular because the character was different from the other western characters in the early 70s or just because it was written better than the others or something else? Where does Jonah Hex rank against the Lone Ranger and others in popularity?

Jonah Hex garners more apprrciation as it was much more gritter than your typical Marvel western hero as well as the character having a relatively bad- attitude.

Think of it as as a transition from the John Wayne cowboy to the Clint Eastman cowboy...only in comics. No one else was doing the gritty western or really has since....

Jim

Jonah Hex garners more apprrciation as it was much more gritter than your typical Marvel western hero as well as the character having a relatively bad- attitude.

Think of it as as a transition from the John Wayne cowboy to the Clint Eastman cowboy...only in comics. No one else was doing the gritty western or really has since....

Jim

Thanks for the info. Would you say the old Jonah Hex comic stories are equal or better than the current Jonah Hex series? I might start picking them up to read if they are. I was never a big western fan, but got hooked on Jonah Hex and the Lone Ranger in the last 6 months. Very enjoyable reads. I really like that Jonah Hex has a different story in every issue (except for the current story).

For me its the fact that unlike previous Western heros, he was more the anti hero. A real Bad who like in the early Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns, terrified the innocent and guilty alike! The early appearances of Jonah in All Star Western, Weird Western, and a lot of the Jonah Hex Comic book run hold up today as well as they did back then Not many comics I read in my youth do I enjoy reading today, but Jonah Hex is diffferent!

Jonah was pretty much the polar opposite of the other western heros in his day. He was all about getting the bounty, money was his priority. If he happened to rescue the innocent in the process, well that was ok too!

Ugly, mean,coarse,but still with a sense of honor, that was evident at times.

If you havent, pick up the Showcase trade, with his earliest appearances, you wont be dissapointed!!

For me its the fact that unlike previous Western heros, he was more the anti hero. A real Bad who like in the early Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns, terrified the innocent and guilty alike! The early appearances of Jonah in All Star Western, Weird Western, and a lot of the Jonah Hex Comic book run hold up today as well as they did back then Not many comics I read in my youth do I enjoy reading today, but Jonah Hex is diffferent!

Jonah was pretty much the polar opposite of the other western heros in his day. He was all about getting the bounty, money was his priority. If he happened to rescue the innocent in the process, well that was ok too!

Ugly, mean,coarse,but still with a sense of honor, that was evident at times.

If you havent, pick up the Showcase trade, with his earliest appearances, you wont be dissapointed!!

Thanks for the reccomendation. Are there reprints of the old All Star Western and first Jonah Hex series in color? Isn't Showcase trades like Mavel Essentials printed in black and white?

Nope no color reprints yet of the old stuff.

But tha art of Tony De Zuniga and others who worked on the early jonah lends well to black and white.

I think the first showcase encompases ASW 10 and 11 as well as all of the Weird Western issues.

Its like 17.00 or so, you should buy it like right now!!!

Nope no color reprints yet of the old stuff.

But tha art of Tony De Zuniga and others who worked on the early jonah lends well to black and white.

I think the first showcase encompases ASW 10 and 11 as well as all of the Weird Western issues.

Its like 17.00 or so, you should buy it like right now!!!

Much appreciated.

Is Zap #1 really a good investment? Is it really sought after? I just care for it at all but I understand its significance. Just doesn't do anything for me, having one in my collection.

But I do like rare, so maybe.........

Zap Comix #1, Plymell first printing is the Action Comics #1 of undergrounds. The Donahue 2nd printing is pretty desirable as well!

Howard, "Eggzactly" has a 3.0 for sale and priced right.

You cant deny the importance of this book, wether you read UGs or not.

Check it out!!

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Zap_Comix