• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lets See those WWII Japanese Covers
8 8

915 posts in this topic

8477358884_748284a0e7_b.jpg

Chemical weapons were used in China but biological weapons were still a fantasy. However, there were plenty of germs to go around but fortunately the Germans developed antibiotics that were used by both sides.

I think the first effective antibiotic -- penicillin -- was developed in England. Although discovered by Alexander Fleming in the 1920s, I think it took until around 1940 before it had been refined in a way that could be used to treat infections.

I don't believe the Germans had access to antibiotics during WW II.

Sulfa drugs were used by the US troops to kill bacteria that contaminated wounds and were also used by the Germans (developed for Bayer by Gerhard Domagk). From Wikipedia:

For several years in the late 1930s, hundreds of manufacturers produced tens of thousands of tons of myriad forms of sulfa.... As the first and only effective antibiotic available in the years before penicillin, sulfa drugs continued to thrive through the early years of World War II. They are credited with saving the lives of tens of thousands of patients, including Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Jr. (son of US President Franklin Delano Roosevelt) and Winston Churchill. Sulfa had a central role in preventing wound infections during the war. American soldiers were issued a first-aid kit containing sulfa pills and powder, and were told to sprinkle it on any open wound.

Edited by BB-Gun

Chemical weapons were used in China but biological weapons were still a fantasy. However, there were plenty of germs to go around but fortunately the Germans developed antibiotics that were used by both sides.

I think the first effective antibiotic -- penicillin -- was developed in England. Although discovered by Alexander Fleming in the 1920s, I think it took until around 1940 before it had been refined in a way that could be used to treat infections.

Sulfa drugs were used by the US troops to kill bacteria that contaminated wounds and were also used by the Germans (developed for Bayer by Gerhard Domagk). From Wikipedia:

For several years in the late 1930s, hundreds of manufacturers produced tens of thousands of tons of myriad forms of sulfa.... As the first and only effective antibiotic available in the years before penicillin, sulfa drugs continued to thrive through the early years of World War II. They are credited with saving the lives of tens of thousands of patients, including Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Jr. (son of US President Franklin Delano Roosevelt) and Winston Churchill. Sulfa had a central role in preventing wound infections during the war. American soldiers were issued a first-aid kit containing sulfa pills and powder, and were told to sprinkle it on any open wound.

Interesting. My hazy recollection from reading the book The Discovery of Penicillin many years ago is that sulfa drugs aren't considered true antibiotics in the modern sense. My impression -- again, this is from a long ago reading -- is that prior to penicillin, the death rate among soldiers in combat from infection was very high. The key problem was that a bullet would drive bacteria from a soldier's clothes and skin deep into his body. I don't think sulfa typically was effective against those type of wounds.

That book makes a big deal about the crash programs in England and later in the U.S. to mass produce penicillin for use in treating wounded troops.

Is there a doctor in the house who can help us with this? :D

Interesting. My hazy recollection from reading the book The Discovery of Penicillin many years ago is that sulfa drugs aren't considered true antibiotics in the modern sense. My impression -- again, this is from a long ago reading -- is that prior to penicillin, the death rate among soldiers in combat from infection was very high. The key problem was that a bullet would drive bacteria from a soldier's clothes and skin deep into his body. I don't think sulfa typically was effective against those type of wounds.

That book makes a big deal about the crash programs in England and later in the U.S. to mass produce penicillin for use in treating wounded troops.

I teach microbiology and I think I understand the definition. Penicillin was a better antibiotic than sulfa drugs which caused kidney damage. It was a secret like Ultra and the allies didn't want the Germans to get it. Hitler wasn't too happy about Gerhard's Nobel prize either. When we teach the Kirby-Bauer method in the lab, we compare the effectiveness of antibiotics like penicillin, tetracycline and sulfisoxazole in killing a selection of bacteria.

I teach microbiology and I think I understand the definition. Penicillin was a better antibiotic than sulfa drugs which caused kidney damage. It was a secret like Ultra and the allies didn't want the Germans to get it. Hitler wasn't too happy about Gerhard's Nobel prize either. When we teach the Kirby-Bauer method in the lab, we compare the effectiveness of antibiotics like penicillin, tetracycline and sulfisoxazole in killing a selection of bacteria.

Even better than a doctor! I bow to your superior knowledge!

Edited to add: I think this was the book I read years ago Amazon link The burden of his argument was that although Fleming discovered penicillin, not much was done to make it an effective treatment until Florey succeeded in doing so at the beginning of the war. I remember one striking anecdote of a mailman who dropped a letter and scratched his cheek on a rose thorn. He developed a severe infection and became the first patient to receive penicillin. The treatment was effective at first, but when the infection recurred no more penicillin was available and he died. A scary tale of the pre-antibiotic era.

And, yes, this is way OT!

Edited by Sqeggs

I've a copy of not that issue that I got from catrick(real life picture magazine)....there is a thread on those...ive three issues altogether.Seems on re reading the thread Timely has sen it as well as Robot...

Edited by porcupine48

Real Life Comics #5 is pretty tough to come by, but how often do you see Real Life Picture Magazine #5?

reallife5_zps5ddmtmiv.png

Saw it for sale here on the boards on Dec. 3. Unfortunately I wasn't quick enough on the draw!

--ElJay

Very cool book rlpm 5. Never seen that before. Can someone explain what's happening and who on the cover? Thanks.

My Chinese history is a little sketchy, but the cover appears to depict Chiang Kia-shek and his wife Soong Mei-ling (also known as Madame Chiang). He led Chinese opposition to the Japanese during WWII, but lost the subsequent Chinese civil war to Mao Tse-tung's communist forces. He fled mainland China to Taiwan where he continued as president of Taiwan for a number of years.