• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

my very first book

26 posts in this topic

I finally found the very first book I bought.

I was 13, an immigrant that came here back in 1980. We were very poor but I was lucky enough to lived in an apartment where the guy on the first floor kept boxes and boxes of comic books in the basement. I saw them one day when I took the trash down there. I "borrowed" quite a few of them to read because I fell in love with the pictures and colors. I couldn't understand a damn word but the motivation of wanting to understand what the hell is going on motivated me to pick up a dictionary. I credited learning English thru the pages of the Fantastic Four and Thor.

I remembered walking to school and drooled at the spinner racks along the way dreaming of buying a book but I couldn't afford them.

at 14, I was legally old enough to work so right after my b-day, I applied for a paper route job in my neighborhood and got it. I was so happy. I think I made $10 a week. So here is the very first book I bought with my first tips from my paper route. I think I read it three times a day until the next issue. It took me a full year later to have the cash to buy #149. I was so frugal that buying one comic book per month was all I allowed myself for the first year. Oh the sweet memories

ironman.jpg

to whoever that lived in New Scotland Ave in Albany NY in 1980-1981..thanks

you have no idea the joy that brighten up that kid back then.

Great story + thanks for sharing. When my Dad came over from Croatia, he said that comics helped him to learn English. Definitely helped my vocabulary + imagination as well!! :cloud9: That particular storyline is a classic as well + has been revisited recently in Iron Man. Think it was a one off special, or something like that with all the time travel + King Arthur + the like.

thanks...the sentimental value of this book is priceless. I can remember debating for days on what to buy for a first book ever and then when I saw that on the rack...no brainer. I haven't even read an Iron Man book until that moment but I didn't care...I got to have it ! I might have been 14 but I am sure I acted like I was 5 running home to read it.

thanks...the sentimental value of this book is priceless. I can remember debating for days on what to buy for a first book ever and then when I saw that on the rack...no brainer. I haven't even read an Iron Man book until that moment but I didn't care...I got to have it ! I might have been 14 but I am sure I acted like I was 5 running home to read it.

Thats what it's all about,we collect comics to get that very same feelings we did as children.Kind of like crack I suppose :devil: addicting looking for the next big fix :luhv:

it would be real neat if that person is on here for sure! If that person is alive, he must be in his late 60's if not older, because he was in his 30's back then. He had a huge collection of DC, but I loved the Fantastic Four, Thor and Spiderman, mostly 15 cents to 35 cents book. Sadly they were all stacked flat in boxes with spine rolls, no bags or boards.

I did return each book I borrowed. It was a royal pain reading them because he didn't have it organize so If I was reading Thor 200, I had to browse thru the entire box or a different box to find 201 but the pain was well worth it (thumbs u