• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Now there's a Venom movie?

11 posts in this topic

Spider-Man 4 Collaborator to Write and Direct Venom

By Mike Noyes

http://movies.insidepulse.com/2009/10/14/spider-man-4-collaborator-to-write-and-direct-venom/

How’s this for progression. Gary Ross, who broke into Hollywood with a screenplay that made a star out of Tom Hanks (Big) is going to rewrite and direct Venom (yah, that guy).

Right now, he’s working on Spider-Man 4. But Sony execs are said to be making him an offer to rewrite and direct Venom, a Spidey spinoff.

Venom, one of the many classic archenemies of the red and blue webslinger in the Marvel Comics series, will be transformed into an antihero who becomes a defender of the innocent.

In Spider-Man 3, Venom (played by Topher Grace) started out as Eddie Brock, Peter Parker’s newspaper rival. He was infected by an alien organism that grafted itself to his skin, Brock has superpowers and strength superior to that of Spider-Man’s.

Grace, who just signed on to star in the upcoming Predators (written and produced by Robert Rodriguez) is not considered likely to reprise the role in the spinoff. As the new film will start over from the drawing board.

Source: Variety

This thing's been in development hell since 2007 when Spider-Man 3 came out. I wasn't sure why, but Sony was really hot back then to get a Venom movie made, I suppose because they were fresh off of setting all the 1-day box office total records from Spidey 3 and hadn't had time for all the cruddy reviews of Venom as a villain to sink into their skin as far as I'm sure they have by now. They were targetting a 2009 release, which obviously never blossomed. They wrote a screenplay back then that Sony rejected, so this is the latest rewrite attempt. In 2007 Sony also said they wouldn't be using Topher Grace as Venom as they didn't think he had enough screen presence in Spidey 3. I rather liked Grace myself. (shrug)