• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the Star Wars Keys?

22 posts in this topic

Greetings! I'm a huge Star Wars buff (aren't we all?) and I'm just staring to branch out into the comics and extended universe. What are the keys in the Star Wars comics? Are they hard to come by in high grade? I'd like to start picking up some slabbed Star Wars books. Any input is appreciated. Like always, thanks a million!

Greetings! I'm a huge Star Wars buff (aren't we all?) and I'm just staring to branch out into the comics and extended universe. What are the keys in the Star Wars comics? Are they hard to come by in high grade? I'd like to start picking up some slabbed Star Wars books. Any input is appreciated. Like always, thanks a million!

The first and last (#107) issues are probably the best ones to pick up first. The grail is most likely the #1 35 cent price variant in high grade (and not the reprint issue).

There is not a lot of slabbed Star Wars, simply because they do not command

high prices = not worth it to slab. If you are patient, you should be able to pick up

slabbed Star Wars on the cheap. The higher numbered issues are the most expensive with 107 getting all the attention.

I didn't know that about the final issues being rare... thanks for that info! I'm stumped as to why any of them don't command much $$$ or hype when slabbed... why is that?

I'm just guessing here = no facts to back me up, but there were probably high print runs of Star Wars. Many were simply hoarding and speculating because they were Star Wars related = most went unread. When the speculation died down, the print runs were smaller and only the higher numbered issues are now rare.

I didn't know that about the final issues being rare... thanks for that info! I'm stumped as to why any of them don't command much $$$ or hype when slabbed... why is that?

I'm just guessing here = no facts to back me up, but there were probably high print runs of Star Wars. Many were simply hoarding and speculating because they were Star Wars related = most went unread. When the speculation died down, the print runs were smaller and only the higher numbered issues are now rare.

Makes sense... Thanks!

Outside of the bronze age, is there anything worth looking for? It seems like there is always a ton of Stars Wars stuff out there (Dark Horse, etc.).

I'm a huge Star Wars buff and I'm just staring to branch out into the comics and extended universe. What are the keys in the Star Wars comics?

Malone,

I don't expect that this is officially viewed as a "key", but it is known as the 1st entry (or one of the 1st next to the novels of the era) into the Expanded Universe beyond the movie, but before Empire Stikes Back. ;)

Star Wars #7:

StarWars796OW-W.jpg

A personal fave... :cloud9:

I'm a huge Star Wars buff and I'm just staring to branch out into the comics and extended universe. What are the keys in the Star Wars comics?

Malone,

I don't expect that this is officially viewed as a "key", but it is known as the 1st entry (or one of the 1st next to the novels of the era) into the Expanded Universe beyond the movie, but before Empire Stikes Back. ;)

Star Wars #7:

StarWars796OW-W.jpg

Sweet! That looks like something for the want-list...

Anyone have any to sell, or know where to look outside of eBay? Or do the usual dealers suggested by these boards stock many SW books? I'll have to check it out...

Malone,

Star Wars #7:

StarWars796OW-W.jpg

Anyone have any to sell, or know where to look outside of eBay? Or do the usual dealers suggested by these boards stock many SW books? I'll have to check it out...

whatever happened to Jaxxon the Warrior Bunny from that era?

I heard he offended Lucas and had Marvel remove him from the comic?

any more info?

ggswr08.jpg

Malone,

Star Wars #7:

StarWars796OW-W.jpg

There is a Want To Buy Category on the boards. May want to give that a shot.

Don't know how accurate this is, but outside of roughly 90-107, Star Log Magazine's 10th Anniversary Star Wars special issue from 1987 lists issues 19-22 as lower-print, harder-to-find.

Ironically, last I checked that 1987 Star Log issue is itself a collector's item now, and one of the most collected and expensive of that magazines 30+ year run.

Do you have any interest in the Star Wars trading cards? Or 5 x 7 Star Wars photo cards? All put out by Topps I believe. There are maybe three different sets of trading cards that I have, and maybe ten or so of the photo cards. I also have a lot of the MOC Star Wars action figures. Not the original ones though. The later ones. I have a LOT of them. I also have some great 12" Star Trek action figures, MIB.

Examples of the trading cards and photo cards:

starwarscardsandphotoexamples.jpg