• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats the most underrated/overlooked title or run you have ever read?

142 posts in this topic

:screwy: Hiyo!

Well I am gonna chime in these titles...

The Darkness (TopCow)

(The 1st run of this series was some of the best stuff during my childhood)

Locke & Key (IDW)

(This series, hands down, is way better than The Walking Dead)

R.E.B.E.L.S. (DC)

(Attention to detail with great characters, plot, story, and dialogue)

Death of the New Gods (DC)

(Super great homage to Jack Kirby's New Gods)

Jonah Hex (DC)

(Completely over-the-top great stuff every issue!)

Vigilante (DC)

(Gritty, tough, and aways thinking... great stuff)

Final Crisis Aftermath: Dance; Run; and Ink (DC)

(These 3 books are top-notch!)

Countdown to Mystery (DC)

(Steve Gerber last and greatest work to repair the DCU)

Countdown present Lord Havok and the Extremists (DC)

(Read it, and you will know why this is awesome!)

Unknown Soldier (Vertigo)

(This hits the fan for anyone who cares)

... and practically any current on-going series under Dynamite Entertainment Comic banner, especially the Project Superpowers series and there corresponding spin-offs.

Since the other thread is such a success. I have another question. Whats the most underrated/overlooked title or run you have ever read?

I remember one comic that blew me away, totally unexpected. DC Comics puts out those goofy Christmas with the Super Heroes books that are usually phoned-in silliness.

One look at the cover of issue #2 and you know what crapola you're in for. Except you would be 100% wrong.

The very first story has a lonely man broken down on some rural snow-clogged road, just fixing to blow his brains out when Superman taps on the driver's window. Superman comes around and gets in the car and they just...talk. Has to be one of the most unusual and moving Superman stories ever.

There's a wordless Enemy Ace story titled "Silent Night". And a Deadman story that is probably the best of the bunch.

There was some damn good writing in the 80's, and this book is right up there with 'em.

28909-3987-32103-1-christmas-with-the-s_super.jpg

The early Wolverine run (1-20) as "patch" series.

Not too many people have commented on this set (I don't know whether they don't like the

whole patch thing or what) but I think it was a solid read.

(thumbs u

Very good call on this. (thumbs u

I will also add Groo. To this day I find all the Groo series visually and mentally fun! :whee:

The Rocketeer, original story was absolutely top drawer.

Anyone who judges it from the (admittedly enjoyable) piece of fluff movie is missing out on some damned fine storytelling.

The Rocketeer, original story was absolutely top drawer.

Anyone who judges it from the (admittedly enjoyable) piece of fluff movie is missing out on some damned fine storytelling.

:headbang: I agree...one of the best in the last 30 yrs...

Since the other thread is such a success. I have another question. Whats the most underrated/overlooked title or run you have ever read?

I remember one comic that blew me away, totally unexpected. DC Comics puts out those goofy Christmas with the Super Heroes books that are usually phoned-in silliness.

One look at the cover of issue #2 and you know what crapola you're in for. Except you would be 100% wrong.

The very first story has a lonely man broken down on some rural snow-clogged road, just fixing to blow his brains out when Superman taps on the driver's window. Superman comes around and gets in the car and they just...talk. Has to be one of the most unusual and moving Superman stories ever.

There's a wordless Enemy Ace story titled "Silent Night". And a Deadman story that is probably the best of the bunch.

There was some damn good writing in the 80's, and this book is right up there with 'em.

28909-3987-32103-1-christmas-with-the-s_super.jpg

I almost picked that up a few months ago but thought it would be bad.

Underrated - Batman Adventures and Batman and Robin Adventures. Yes they are based on the animated universe but the stories are top notch. The Talia and Ra's stories are incredible. Issue 33, Just another night is one of the best batman stories where Bruce is with his girlfriend and her son and they are held up at gunpoint.

overrated: Watchmen