• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats the most underrated/overlooked title or run you have ever read?

142 posts in this topic

Saga of the Swamp Thing issues 1-20. Martin Pasko and Tom Yeates (and Stephen Bissette before it was Alan Moore's turn at bat) put together a great story during the run.

Notable and worth picking up to read are issues 3 and 4 where Swamp Thing battles vampires (later revisited during Moore's run in issues 38 and 39) and a demonic child murderer. These stories are as chilling to read now as they were the first time I read them.

Madame Mirage by Paul Dini and Kenneth Rocafort. This story had it all with Dini writing action full throttle backed up by Rocafort's kinetic and eye-popping art. Just when you think you know how the story is playing out-issue 3 throws a curveball you won't see coming!

Pick up the trade-if you have not read this yet, I know you will enjoy it! (Okay so I don't "know" just a guess you will! (thumbs u )

GOOD TIMES!!!

:banana: Chris

Saga of the Swamp Thing issues 1-20. Martin Pasko and Tom Yeates (and Stephen Bissette before it was Alan Moore's turn at bat) put together a great story during the run.

Notable and worth picking up to read are issues 3 and 4 where Swamp Thing battles vampires (later revisited during Moore's run in issues 38 and 39) and a demonic child murderer. These stories are as chilling to read now as they were the first time I read them.

Very interesting. Are there any references to suggest that the vamps in Moore's run are any relation to the earlier ones?

Very interesting. Are there any references to suggest that the vamps in Moore's run are any relation to the earlier ones?

They do-the title of the issue 38 is "Still Waters" and features the Rosewood Vampires who were first shown in issue 3. The history given was that a punk named Stiv cursed the population of Rosewood with a vampire plague, and Vampires took over the town. During a clash between the Vampires and the Swamp Thing in issue 3, Vampire Slayers Larry and Steven Childress blew up the neighboring dam. Great story that I think could have run over a couple of issues.

The subsequent flood killed most of the Vampires, however these vampires were vulnerable to running water only. According to Moore's story beginning in issue 38, after the water currents had calmed down, survivors adapted to life under water. During the course of events in Moore's "American Gothic", the Rosewood Vampires fertilized a bloated Mother Vampire who gave birth to a powerful Sea Vampire that Swamp Thing could not initially defeat. Swamp Thing is able to use his newly-realized elemental powers to win in the end.

I liked Pasko's land vamps better than Moore's "sea vamps"!

Good times!

:banana: Chris

There's tons of indies from the '80s that are seriously overlooked. Zot!, Thunderbunny. MICRA, Evangeline, Elementals, Vietnam Journal, etc.

I've never understood why Zot didn't take off.

But even more overlooked is Mythadventures, hands down the funniest series I ever read. http://www.amazon.com/Myth-Adventures-Collection-Another-Fine/dp/1890856444/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1299995129&sr=8-1

Stray Bullets and the even more obscure Murder Me Dead, both by David Lapham are both awesome.
Good call.

Back in the 90s everyone I knew who read comics had Stray Bullets on standing order, so I don't think of the book as underrated or overlooked.

Lapham's best-ever work.

I felt that Murder Me Dead ran out of steam a bit towards the end.

Some of the Crossgen books were too looked over.

I always thought Negation was great. And it was really getting good when the company pulled the plug.

I also enjoyed Scion for most of its run. At the end, it had lost much of its luster.

Pat

Some of the Crossgen books were too looked over.

I always thought Negation was great. And it was really getting good when the company pulled the plug.

I also enjoyed Scion for most of its run. At the end, it had lost much of its luster.

Pat

That was a real shame, that company going under.

I'm glad someone mentioned Alien Legion. I'll second that. I'd put in Don McGregor's work on the War of the Worlds in Amazing Adventures and his Jungle Action Black Panther stories. I don't think I've ever seen the Killraven/WOTW story mentioned anywhere on the CGC boards. It was a great read.