• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collecting things other then comics.

891 posts in this topic

Aside from comic books, I also collect board games and records.

As for records, almost all of my records are hardcore punk. Just picked up some great Minor Threat, Champion, Mindset and Gorilla Biscuits records yesterday.

Hardcore records are a lot like comics in certain ways. Different prints, variants (different colors) of each printing, really cool art....both are so cool.

One of my prize possessions...React Records Box Set (color prints) #1 out of 15. This was the personal copy of the owner of React Records that he sold on Ebay. He's also the guitarist of Champion and the vocalist of Betrayed.

recs.jpg

I use to collect the McFarlane spawn figures. Had about 40 mint in packaging and maybe 10 loose. I spent one Christmas volunteering at a shelter and it really stuck with me how many kids had such a crappy Christmas. The next year 2005/2006 I believe, I donated all my packaged figures to the firefighter toy drive.

that was a really nice thing to do!!! :applause:

You bet it was!

:applause:

It was just over fifty years ago on 10 November 1963 that Gordie Howe notched his 545th goal to surpass the lifetime mark that Maurice Richard had set. Here are scans of the oldest Gordie Howe cards in my collection:

:cool:

great collection. I'm a big Red Wings fan and those take the cake!

This is a subject that I never grow tired of.

As a "born collector" myself, there's never been a point in my life when I HAVEN'T collected something. It's just so ingrained in my nature from my very earliest memories.

The very first things that I recall making a conscious effort to collect & wanted to make sure that I had every single one of were the old Aurora monster model kits back when I was five in 1966. Those & every single issue of FAMOUS MONSTERS that I could get my hands on & read into tatters.

But, the models were my definite priority.

I just loved the way that they all looked displayed on the shelves in my bedroom above my bed. And, both of my parents were happy to indulge my obsession. Especially my Mom, who was actually the one who assembled them for me & then painstakingly put her considerable artistic talents to use by painting them for me. With the end results always looking better than the box art Aurora used to sell them.

Unfortunately, I had the horrible inability to appreciate them for what they were, which was, of course, display pieces & instead, I'd inevitably attempt to turn them into action figures by staging epic monster brawls. Which, always resulted in their inadvertent destruction.

Which, would necessitate a whole new cycle of my Mom buying, assembling & painting them for me... A pattern that repeated itself many times over until I was 9 or 10, as I recall.

By which time, I'd turned my attention to comics. Something that I'd always enjoyed reading & accumulating great stacks of, but which I'd become quite serious about sometime around 1970 or '71. During which time, I'd remained a diehard "Monster Kid" ( a label with which I proudly retain to this day! ) , but chose to acknowledge with my continuing to collect FM & other monster magazines of the day like CASTLE OF FRANKENSTEIN, THE MONSTER TIMES, Marvel's MONSTERS OF THE MOVIES & others.

As with the monster model kits of my earlier childhood, my parents were great about supporting my comic book collecting & over the course of the next decade or so, they helped me build & maintain an exceptional collection including complete or near complete runs of titles such as ( my personal favorite ) AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, FANTASTIC FOUR, THE AVENGERS, X-MEN, DAREDEVIL, IRON MAN, INCREDIBLE HULK & many, many more. Something that was made possible not only by my parents understanding & generosity, but also by the time period in which it all occurred.

Though all the key issues of said titles were just beginning to grow into the big $$$ values that they see today, back then it was still very possible to purchase them & great runs of them for relatively bargain prices. Especially after having built up relationships with dealers & other collectors over the years.

Tragically, the tale of my comic collection ends sadly like so many others that I've encountered over the years. With me, becoming less & less interested in comic books in my latter teens as my other interests took priority.

By the time I was 17, I'd already gone through much of my obsession with the martial arts, which began with the whole Bruce Lee "craze" of about 1973 or so when I was 12. During which, I began training in various forms of martials arts & accumulating assorted colors of belts & advanced rankings in Karate, Judo & Tae Kwon Do.

Interests & activities that I enjoyed & which seemed to happily co-exist with my comics collecting for four years or so.

It wasn't until I became bored with the traditional Asian martial arts & fell in love with boxing that things changed.

Though not right away by any means as for the first couple of years I was just a rabid fan of the sport. it wasn't until I decided that I was done with my martial arts training & that I wanted to actually get into the ring myself & fight that they really did.

This was an entirely new level of commitment, time & recourses to me. Not only because I was now fighting as an amateur, but also because I'd begun to also collect various sorts of boxing memorabilia as well. So, I'd cut back on the amount of comics that I was buying each week/month & spending money on old boxing magazines & record books not to mention my own equipment, training gear etc..

Oh, I continued to be passionate about my love for monster/horror films & fiction, kept up with my genre magazines & such, but comics? They were falling by the wayside as I turned 18 & prepared for my first semester of college in the fall of 1980.

Then... the inevitable.

I found myself in my first serious relationship with a girl & it, when combined with everything else that was going on at the time, wound up being the catalyst. That final thing that gave me the last final little push into giving up buying comics altogether.

And, since I was no longer going to be actively collecting them anymore, I decided to go ahead & sell my collection off.

Which I did, in short order to the first dealer that was interested.

Something that I almost immediately regretted of course, but didn't have a chance to really wallow in because of all that I had going on at the time.

You know?

By this time I was further into continuing to collect the boxing stuff, as well as Stephen King first edition hardcovers along with a plethora of other horror novels, mostly paperback originals & my genre magazines too. Which by now chiefly consisted of Cinefantastique & the then-new Fangoria.

Jim

Not a whole lot changed regarding my collecting habits over the following several years, other than stepping up my boxing memorabilia accumulating to include on site posters, programs, autographed photos & sports cards. With a particular interest in those of the latter that were signed by the fighters featured on them.

Something that I was able to do in person, as I was now fighting professionally. As a pro, I was getting steady work as a sparring partner for several top world class pros & fighting on the undercards of some of the biggest names in the sport. Allowing me to develop first hand relationships with many of them & plenty of access to them. So, I was able to build an exceptional collection of rare, signed material for myself. Which was, of course, pretty nice.

As we got into the '90s my interests expanded into collecting all my favorite films on DVD. Plus, various manufacturers began to acquire the rights to produce action figures of many top characters of interest to me. So, I began collecting those as well.

These in addition to my books, my genre magazines & all sorts of merchandise related to my fav television show THE X-FILES. Including ( surprise, surprise ) all the comic books published by Topps.

All of this continued as we moved into the 2000s.

During which, my interests segued into an increased focus on more vintage horror paperbacks. Those going back into the '60s & '70s. With a special focus on those that are movie adaptions and/or tie ins. LOVE those!

My genre magazine collection?

I'm happy to say that I'm proud to have built a complete collection of Calvin Beck's beloved CASTLE OF FRANKENSTEIN to go along with my full run of FANGORIA. These sit displayed next to nice collections of FAMOUS MONSTERS, MONSTERS OF THE MOVIES, RUE MORGUE, HORRORHOUND & others.

I no longer purchase many DVDs at all because my focus is now on building my Blu Ray collection.

I still adore my action figures & add to my collection on occasion as well.

Boxing memorabilia?

These days I'm limited to adding to my vintage magazines when I can.

My main focus these days are my aforementioned vintage genre film novelizations & movie tie ins.

And...

My comic books.

Yep, comic books.

I began collecting comic books again ( other than Topps' X-FILES, that is ) back in 2010. Some 30 years after I'd stopped, when I was inspired by the news that another publisher had begun to produce a new X-FILES comic which I sought out at a local comic shop. Only THIS time, rather than limiting myself to just the X-FILES book, I took the time to explore the store a wee bit & found other things that more than piqued my interest. Buying a small stack of titles.

Titles that I began to buy regularly & which led me to collecting again three decades after my last comic book purchase. Which inspired me to begin purchasing back issues leading to my currant collection status of some 2100 comics plus. Just about a thousand or so less than the 3000 comics or so that I had back in 1980.

Of course my currant collection is no where NEAR in value to what my old, original collection was worth , but that's OK.

To me, it's not about the value, but all about the joy of collecting.

Jim

Wacky Packages!

The bottom row are all Ludlow backs!

Cards-WackyPackages_zps9b16c1f7.jpg

Good stuff! Bulky way to store them though.

:)

I'm old school that way.

So am I. That's why I usually just keep my cards in my desk drawer when I'm not carrying them around in my pants' pocket.

(thumbs u

Other than comics I collect some books, I guess.. They're really just my library.. :P

I got about everything Clive Barker ever wrote, a complete collection of Discworld and almost complete Dragonlance..

I used to collect swords and some other medieval weapons, back in The Netherlands (where I'm originally from), but I left those with my family when I moved to the US..

On a sidenote, I had an almost complete collection of X-Men and Amazing Spiderman, starting at number 1, but my dear brother threw them in the trash when I moved out of the parental home and he got my room... They weren't bagged and boarded or in a great condition, but most would probably be around 5.0 to 8.0 -ish.. ANYWAY..

Here's my other hobby:

pBCjGG3.jpg

lGjBsXc.jpg

bqCAxVy.jpg

VukfKyO.jpg

06JsL0R.jpg

F23ZX8w.jpg

xOw403a.jpg

I collect way to much stuff, I also collect halloween masks.

One of my favorite is old Don Post Skull masks and all the variations.

Some glow in the dark, some are larger and extra think, some red, some brown, etc.

Here's a few I own.

GlowSkull1_zps0b37bd20.jpg

"Glow in the dark"

image_zpse2686a35.jpg

"Blood Red"

SkullMask1_zps4f65363b.jpg

"Large 67"