• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who has the best superhero origin?

77 posts in this topic

Arnold Drake's Deadman origin might be the winner for High-Concept simplicity itself.

1. Protagonist is killed.

2. He comes back as a ghost to catch his killer.

3. Game on.

Good Call.

But that had been done to death in novels, movies and even TV shows like Twilight Zone. I can even remember reading old GA horror stories with a very similar origin/plot.

Im sure like you say its not anywhere near to being a new concept. I wouldnt doubt that part of the reason why I like the Deadman origin is because I have seen the concept before and how if done properly can really lead to many interesting/great storylines.

Wait - Doom isn't a hero...Uhm, let's see...Rulk?

Oh yeah, nobody knows his origin and they are dragging the on and on and on and on and on.

I am beginning to suspect that they don't have one and can't figure a way to write themselves out of a corner like they did with Spidey and the clone saga....

How about Bizarro?

good call on Swamp Thing...

in a similar vein, The Endless origin stories were well crafted...

I'm biased, but I also dig DD... and, therefore, the TMNT as well :)

I've got to echo this. I think DD has a very creative anti-heroic origin, a very pacifistic origin that greatly appeals to me (and ditto on the TMNT DD/Ronin combo).

I also dig Nexus' origin, and of course, Batman arguably has the best origin of all modern comics. (by modern, I mean 20th Century).

Another one of my favorites, and a complete story, not an ongoing soap, but V has always been a brilliant character and his "origin" is very, very compelling to me.

There have not been very many "man becoming" stories that have moved me quite as much as the man from room five.

The whole story is, in part, an origin story, from the letter from Valerie to the rose he gives the not so good doctor to the journal he leaves behind for the detective to piece together.

I don't get how people can put Wolverine and Punisher up there are great origins, as in addition to them having multiple interpretations, these two characters only work when their origins are unknown.

The mystery of where these two came from and how they became heroes is what drove them to popularity, and if both had full origins shown early on, neither one would have caught on.

The Man-Thing has a great origin.....Ted Salis trying to keep the super solider serum he's been working on out of the bad guys hands......the women he thought he loved betrays him....while on the run to keep the serum out of the wrong hands he injects himself....then crashes into the swamp.....swamp reacts with with serum and he becomes the Man-Thing.....well, I like it.

The new Werewolf by Night origin that takes place in WBN 15 and TOD 18 is one of my faves as well.

Ghost Rider is simple but still a good one as well...

Also, Conan's is great.....people conquered, he's enslaved.....well you all know the rest a true classic.

.....and Batman of course is classic and has withstood the test of time.

The lamest and most contrived origin has to be the old "scientist finds dying/crippled/maimed guy and invents some technology that gives him super powers" cliche.

Jonas Harrow must have done that about a hundred times in ASM.

And why are these guys running around looking for half-dead criminals anyway? Why not just use your super-human technology on a healthy person without mental issues - it might work a bit better.