• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sale of the Year - New Mutants #98 CGC 9.9 for $12,250
5 5

1,155 posts in this topic

Id like to add a quick something to this discussion.... Basically: Time will tell. Both sides makes reasoned arguments for their opinions. But we shall see what we shall see as time and this great hobby of ours develops and mutates further.

My prediction? More 9.9s will come along, and this purchase will not end well financially. Buyer will clearly enjoy the heck out it though. The only wild card I can imagine is if somehow, Deadpool becomes the next Spiderman/Wolverine worldwide franchise superhero. Can it happen? I dont think so, but it could allow this book to hold the value buyer and underbidder see in it.

Where do I get my tuition refunded...?

1) I don't give refunds!

Well, at least I got my money's worth.

2) I teach in the b-school. English classes are on the other end of campus.

3) And I'd respond to your epic response -- and explain pricing theory and why it's more likely that something will sell for $12,250 versus $100,000,000 -- but it's getting late and I prefer passive-aggressive sarcasm and humor over scholarly debate. Here, on the boards, serious discussion, I believe, has no intrinsic (i.e, innate, natural, true, real) value. *checking the dictionary for proper definition*

You think lower of your fellow man than I.

A shame.

But, your theory is still off. (thumbs u

4) And "objective" refers to the fact that CGC is a neutral third party. Purchasing something from a third party with no dog in the fight makes their opinion OBJECTIVE, even though their opinion might differ from some other neutral third party, making it SUBJECTIVE.

It's good that you cleared that up. It's not at all what you said the first time. It's still not quite right, but it's close enough.

(thumbs u

And you didn't purchase the book from CGC. You didn't purchase their opinion, either. The original slabber did. (thumbs u

I know, details, details, who cares about the damn details?

*checking to see if I used the word "dog" correctly -- any carnivore of the dog family Canidae, having prominent canine teeth and, in the wild state, a long and slender muzzle, a deep-chested muscular body, a bushy tail, and large, erect ears.*

Loving this board,

Brian (AKA Boston Corbett)

(thumbs u

Oh, come on Donny, they were threatening castration! Are we gonna split hairs here? Am I wrong?

lebowski-opinion.jpg

It's a perfectly rational explanation, but, unfortunately it is still rendered completely meaningless by the fact that OMFG, DUDE, YOU PAID $12,250 FOR A FREAKIN' NEW MUTANTS #98. :makepoint:

I mean, I get your faith in CGC and your exponential valuation explanation, but this is still New Mutants #98 we're talking about and paying $12,250 for it is just :screwy:, no matter what the # is on the label, how many copies of that grade are in the Census and/or how wealthy someone is. If multiple people are willing to pay at/near that price, far from justifying it, it just means you're all just totally bonkers. People can make any argument they like ("what I collect..." is my favorite bit of relativistic nonsense (thumbs u ), but this is just prima facie nuts and anyone who's honest with themself knows it.

And just who are these "colleagues" of yours who have offered you a "significant" return on your "investment" already? People are queuing up to pay you, what, $15K+ for this book before it's even in your hands? If that's true, please forward me their names and contact info because I have a giant Ponzi scheme great investment opportunity to sell them.

You say you are an economics professor who is now "sans ballz" having shot your wad, so to speak, on this book? Are you telling us that you are not the second coming of Roman Abramovich who can light his cigars with $12,250 checks?? If so, you are clinically insane braver than I thought.

^^

And that's my point, which has NOTHING to do with CGC and all to do with paying 12K for a friggin NM 98!!!!

I've seen a lot of what appears to be presumptious dismissal of CGC's 9.9 grade in this thread. Has anyone actually done much analysis of CGC 9.9s and 10.0s to determine whether or not they tend to truly on average have fewer defects than 9.8s? We all know CGC's margin of error can be a single notch, but that doesn't mean you automatically assume every book is overgraded or undergraded. I have to think there's some actual objective truth in the superior condition of most 9.9s and 10.0s just based upon my experience with their grading of books below that level, but I don't own any Mints, so I can't really say--and I'm not sure anyone else crapping on CGC's Mint grade have empirical evidence to make their claims, either. hm

Its an uphill battle for the buyer to come on and defend his buy. He does not need to defend it, and its a battle that cannot be won. This board has a peanut gallery armed with limitless ammo consisting of too much free time, mental issues that do not allow them to drop a subject, a tendency to pot shot, and varying maturity levels that do not allow possibility of conceding a point.

Buyer should just let this avalanche of from the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons slide on by. I love how an economics professor is being told he does not know what intrinsic means. A problem with message boards is that there is no barrier to entry, no required resume strength showing level of higher education, iq, political beliefs, and history of mental illness. Buyers best move is to say nothing, as it is just not worth the energy in this particular environment to do more.

A board lurker who has no forum account but does have a Registry account named "NewEnglandGothic" just sent me this via Collector's Society mail:

On your comment on the boards, "Has anyone actually done much analysis of CGC 9.9s and 10.0s to determine whether or not they tend to truly on average have fewer defects than 9.8s?", I have had many many many 9.9's and 10's to my 9.8's and yes, I see differences everytime. Whether it's a subtle corner ding from being put on the shelf or a fingernail scuff, most of the CGC 9.9's and 10's are perfect in every way. But, I collect IDW books(take a look at my registry set) and that's a different animal all together due to the cardstock cover structure compared to regular floppies flimsy structure.

What are IDW books?

Its an uphill battle for the buyer to come on and defend his buy. He does not need to defend it, and its a battle that cannot be won. This board has a peanut gallery armed with limitless ammo consisting of too much free time, mental issues that do not allow them to drop a subject, a tendency to pot shot, and varying maturity levels that do not allow possibility of conceding a point.

Buyer should just let this avalanche of from the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons slide on by. I love how an economics professor is being told he does not know what intrinsic means. A problem with message boards is that there is no barrier to entry, no required resume strength showing level of higher education, iq, political beliefs, and history of mental illness. Buyers best move is to say nothing, as it is just not worth the energy in this particular environment to do more.

In other words....don't bang your head against a brick wall.

A board lurker who has no forum account but does have a Registry account named "NewEnglandGothic" just sent me this via Collector's Society mail:

On your comment on the boards, "Has anyone actually done much analysis of CGC 9.9s and 10.0s to determine whether or not they tend to truly on average have fewer defects than 9.8s?", I have had many many many 9.9's and 10's to my 9.8's and yes, I see differences everytime. Whether it's a subtle corner ding from being put on the shelf or a fingernail scuff, most of the CGC 9.9's and 10's are perfect in every way. But, I collect IDW books(take a look at my registry set) and that's a different animal all together due to the cardstock cover structure compared to regular floppies flimsy structure.

What are IDW books?

It's a publisher.

and history of mental illness.

I think to the average person, anyone spending $100 or more on a comic book automatically qualifies as having a mental illness. If that's the standard, I'm guilty as charged. :P

In a Pressing thread a week or so ago, I wrote about using the Certification Multiple, or CM, whenever I buy a book to gauge its future value. My innate belief is that when the CM exceeds 10 (or when a book graded is worth 10x more then when it is raw), you're heading into the Greater Fool area of collecting/investing. I don't know what a NM 98 raw fetches, but let's say a real gem of a copy can fetch $100 at a con. If that's the case, we're looking at a CM of 120 for the book in question. That's astronomical in my opinion, but hey, it may prove to be cheap in a few years, one never knows.

Personally, I hope the purchase pays off for the buyer in the long run. And yes, the dissenting opinions of those of us who can't wrap our heads around the purchase are probably best left at the door. But there has been some valuable discussion in this thread, and perhaps it will serve some purpose to all the lurkers out there who may (or may not) be contemplating paying a exceptional multiple for the next 9.9 or 10.0 to hit the market.

Can we talk about big boobs again? I think Keely Hazel is just fine, thank you.
:cloud9: How someone can find this unattractive is beyond me

keeley-hazell-is-hot-in-pink-bra.jpg

:cloud9: who is that? why do I not know, please tell me more :foryou:

Look her up online... some really great photos :cloud9:

Her sex tape is better.

Sigh.

The label is as important as the book to some.

Which is the utter stupidity of it all.

Name one other product where the wrapping is more important than the goods?

This seems lame to do, but Coca Cola?

Does that count?

Someone once relayed a story of what a CGC Employee's explanation was for how a submitter gets a 9.9, and if I repeated it here, there would be another 20 pages on this thread by noon. lol

Post it. :baiting:

What are IDW books?

NewEnglandGothic is the man!! Now he has some damn fine moderns, you should check out his sets.

His generosity saw me land some hard to find moderns too, just because he could. I wish he would post on here sometimes :cloud9:

Alright so finally caught up and I wanted to get into this intrinsic definition thing...Well I used to think that it properly used when talking about the value of comics or collectibles. That their value was more about what they are instead of what they are made of. However after being called out on it, I went and looked at some definitions and am more confused. I think that coming from coin people that intrinsic means the value of the stuff that makes it up....like Rock mentioned, the 1 oz gold coin having an intrinsic value of the price of an oz of gold. While that coin has a much higher value than just the value of the parts.

So Dr. Econ is calling the value above the sum of the parts as intrinsic...some jobber sticks his nose in and says that Dr. Econ is right and Zeph is wrong.

Which is it, dammit.

What are IDW books?

NewEnglandGothic is the man!! Now he has some damn fine moderns, you should check out his sets.

His generosity saw me land some hard to find moderns too, just because he could. I wish he would post on here sometimes :cloud9:

Indeed, Jerel is one of my favorite people :cloud9: