• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sale of the Year - New Mutants #98 CGC 9.9 for $12,250
5 5

1,155 posts in this topic

Hi there. I'm new to the boards. Decided to join after reading this thread. I did a google search of "New Mutants 98 9.9" to see what people were saying after the Pedigree auction. Funny, funny, funny stuff. Thought you might like to know...

1. Payment is on its way. Check was mailed out last Thursday morning (I was traveling out of the country on business, or else I would have mailed it sooner).

2. As for the price, I called Doug at Pedigree to assure him that I, in fact, wanted this comic and it wasn't a fluke bid. As you are aware, if you want a 9.9 (or a 10.0) comic of any age, you have to act when it comes up, or risk never ever seeing it again. I'm glad you put it up for sale and I'm glad I bought it. My highest bid at the end (to avoid the stupid bidding war) was $15,000. Post that fact on this board and lets see what's said.

Enjoy the check. I'll enjoy the book. Sounds like a great trade. :)

Be well, my friend.

Best regards,

Brian AKA Boston Corbett

I hope you enjoy it and never sell it, because you won't be as pleased :foryou:

No man knows less than the man who knows it all.

Corollary:

The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Andddd...right on cue, here comes Watson, stirring the pot.

It's almost Pavlovian, ain't it...?

I wasn't even talking to you or about you, for matter. However, I guess water finds its own level. (shrug)

I call BS on this. Sorry, call it as I see it.

Hi there. I'm new to the boards. Decided to join after reading this thread. I did a google search of "New Mutants 98 9.9" to see what people were saying after the Pedigree auction. Funny, funny, funny stuff. Thought you might like to know...

1. Payment is on its way. Check was mailed out last Thursday morning (I was traveling out of the country on business, or else I would have mailed it sooner).

2. As for the price, I called Doug at Pedigree to assure him that I, in fact, wanted this comic and it wasn't a fluke bid. As you are aware, if you want a 9.9 (or a 10.0) comic of any age, you have to act when it comes up, or risk never ever seeing it again. I'm glad you put it up for sale and I'm glad I bought it. My highest bid at the end (to avoid the stupid bidding war) was $15,000. Post that fact on this board and lets see what's said.

Be well, my friend.

Best regards,

Brian AKA Boston Corbett

You guys just can't stop, can you?

Why do you have to assume that his pleasure from this comic will come with the resale value?

:makepoint:

Be well, my friend.

Best regards,

Brian AKA Boston Corbett

Why do you have to assume that his pleasure from this comic will come with the resale value?

Unless he takes the comic to his grave, he'll lose a substantial amount of money. I'm a realist and I know that someone buying a NM 98 9.9 isn't just looking for the satisfaction of ... well, throw that out as I'm not sure what someone paying 12K for this book is thinking :insane:

No man knows less than the man who knows it all.

Corollary:

The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Andddd...right on cue, here comes Watson, stirring the pot.

It's almost Pavlovian, ain't it...?

I wasn't even talking to you or about you, for matter. However, I guess water finds its own level. (shrug)

I call BS on this. Sorry, call it as I see it.

Yeah, it's pretty clear from the context who he was talking about...replying to Jive, who was replying to me.....otherwise, the post makes no sense, as no one else said anything remotely controversial in the same time frame...

Only a fool would try to pretend otherwise...

I mean, if you're going to take a jab at someone, man up when you get called on it.

Be well, my friend.

Best regards,

Brian AKA Boston Corbett

Unless he takes the comic to his grave, he'll lose a substantial amount of money. I'm a realist and I know that someone buying a NM 98 9.9 isn't just looking for the satisfaction of ... well, throw that out as I'm not sure what someone paying 12K for this book is thinking :insane:

Well....that, or the dollar will have become so devalued, you'll have 9.4s selling for $1,000,000US.

;)

WTTB. What other books you got? :popcorn:

Star Wars #1 price variant? ;)

I kid...

not a knock on his choice but few in this hobby can afford to shell out this kind of money for this book so the Star Wars book is right up there in "scarcity" that most here won't bid or can't afford.

You guys are brutal. It is his money. The one thing for sure is most of us wish we could be the seller...heck I hated that book and would not fork out the money to slab my 9.8 raw copy but if I have a 9.9, I will gladly take the same $$ and buy a 8.5 TOS #39 for around the same price.

If I have endless fun, I will gladly pay top money for the books I love regardless of how crazy you all think it is....X-men #1 9.6 for $200k ....give it to me now!!!!!

Edited by etanick

He could have a billion dollars; it's just wrong to pay that much for that book.

(thumbs u

Why is perspective so lacking in so many who collect comics?

Et...$200K for a 9.6 X-Men #1, while high, is not out of the realm of reason within the context of what that book is.

The difference here could be a 1/128th inch spine impression. That's what might seperate this 9.9 from a strong 9.8.

Or, it could quite literally be nothing, and a number of 9.8s could actually be in better condition than this 9.9.

Is nothing worth $12,000? Is a 1/128th inch spine impression...?

He could have a billion dollars; it's just wrong to pay that much for that book.

(thumbs u

Why is perspective so lacking in so many who collect comics?

Et...$200K for a 9.6 X-Men #1, while high, is not out of the realm of reason within the context of what that book is.

The difference here could be a 1/128th inch spine impression. That's what might seperate this 9.9 from a strong 9.8.

Or, it could quite literally be nothing, and a number of 9.8s could actually be in better condition than this 9.9.

Is nothing worth $12,000? Is a 1/128th inch spine impression...?

I think etanick was just trying to say that a grown man or woman can spend their money on whatever floats their boat.

Something else to ponder...back in 2005, a scant four and a half years ago, this exact book sold for $510...and at the same time, 9.8s were selling for an average of $100.

What happened in 4.5 years that made this book worth 24 times what it was "worth" in 2005, but saw an increase in 9.8s of only about $100-$150, on average, or 2 to 2.5 times?

More 9.8s on the census? Sure, granted.

Deadpool becoming much more popular? Granted.

But show me any other book that was worth about $500 in 2005 that is worth $12,000+ now.

It's label madness.

And if I had a 9.9 and someone wanted to pay me $12,250 for it, I couldn't hand it over fast enough.