• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sale of the Year - New Mutants #98 CGC 9.9 for $12,250
5 5

1,155 posts in this topic

I don't see what the big deal is on this persons purchase. If you wanted to be the one who owned the best copy more power to ya. I see a lot of people taking jabs at this guy, but these are the same ones that snub their noses at anything less than high grade. People should just be happy for both the buyer and the seller of this book. If you're that jealous of the sale save your pennies so maybe one day you can buy a 9.9 copy as well. Buying comics is not always about if you can make money on them or not, if that's what it is to you then you're not a collector you're strictly a seller and that's obviously why you don't understand this purchase.

He could have a billion dollars; it's just wrong to pay that much for that book.

(thumbs u

Why is perspective so lacking in so many who collect comics?

Et...$200K for a 9.6 X-Men #1, while high, is not out of the realm of reason within the context of what that book is.

The difference here could be a 1/128th inch spine impression. That's what might seperate this 9.9 from a strong 9.8.

Or, it could quite literally be nothing, and a number of 9.8s could actually be in better condition than this 9.9.

Is nothing worth $12,000? Is a 1/128th inch spine impression...?

I think etanick was just trying to say that a grown man or woman can spend their money on whatever floats their boat.

That has been repeated over...and over...and over....and over again in this thread.

YES, you can spend your money on anything you want. No one is disputing that.

I have a Maxx #3 Black Ashcan. One of only 2 anyone has publicly seen.

Is it worth $50,000?

Perspective. That's all anyone is talking about.

But if you slabbed it, and sold it on Pedigree because you got lucky if there were two bidders on it at $20K, or $50K, or whatever, would you hve the same feeling?

YES.

100% Absolutely.

Because it's just not WORTH that price at this time.

Would I refuse the money? No, of course not. But I would certainly caution potential buyers beforehand...what if the other 48 showed up, in better shape than mine? That's the risk they take. If they want to, great...but they're going to KNOW that it's a risk.

Something is worth ONLY what somebody will pay for it - and in this case, there were AT LEAST two people willing to pay twelve grand for that book.

About five years ago, I got destroyed for buying a Identity Crisis 4 with the poster insert still intact - I've never seen another one like it - for $250. Nasty, personal attacks (they weren't here). I guarantee that book will sell for more than that now, but I don't want to sell it. Why don't we give this guy the benefit of the doubt - or at least respect what he buys? Its his money. Some people buy twelve thousand dollar comics, and some people buy twelve thousand dollar watches. Personally, I'd rather have the comic.

There has been no disrespect (other than the shill bid accusations) towards the bidder in this thread. No one is being ridiculed. Questioning the wisdom of a purchase and discussing the consequences of a market like this is a far cry from "you're a buffoon, why'd you waste your money like that?"

And I certainly wouldn't have "destroyed" you for paying $250...I would have said "dude....you sure you know what you're doing?" if you'd paid $10,000 for it, though. And the BOOK isn't the issue, anyways....the "9.9" is.

It's simply a matter of making sure perspective is discussed. It is only by keeping perspective that we won't have the chaos that nearly destroyed the coin market in the early 90's.

It's about VALUE. Did the buyer get good VALUE for his money? No. For $12,000 less, he could have had a 9.8 that would likely be indistinguishable from this book. So it wasn't a good value, and as long as everyone understands that, and that there's substantial risk in such purchases (another one could very well show up), then have at.

*I* would prefer that a person doesn't come along, and "hear" about the 9.9 sale at $12,250, and have some sheister offer them a 9.8 for "the bargain price of only $2,000!" And you know that scenario's been repeated over and over. Open eyes is all I'm looking for, here.

Look, people can spend their money any way they want. But I can't sit by and say nothing, when I've already watched this happen once before. Do what you want with your money....and I'll sleep better at night knowing that I at least help people understand the risks involved and go into it with both eyes open.

I understand that's contrary to some people around here who want uneducated buyers, and they know who they are, but I'm ok with that. Stability is a far better end result.

Let`s wait until we get confirmation from the seller that he`s really received payment. I`m amazed how everyone automatically assumes that just because someone posts anonymously here that he`s the buyer means that he`s really the buyer.

I hope for the seller`s sake that he is for real and that payment will be received soon. However, short of confirmation by the buyer or some sort of confirm from Doug that the poster is for real, I think I`ll just remain skeptical and be pleasantly surprised if it turns out to be for real.

(thumbs u

Hmmm what I find interesting is that while a lot of people find it mystifiying the amount paid but nobody thinks its interesting that a few qualified individuals could tell the difference between that 9.9 and the hundreds of 9.8's ? Almost like printing money.

Hmmm what I find interesting is that while a lot of people find it mystifiying the amount paid but nobody thinks its interesting that a few qualified individuals could tell the difference between that 9.9 and the hundreds of 9.8's ? Almost like printing money.

Great observation, I guess you need 20/10 vision.

Similar to coin craze years back, when an NGC MS70 would sell for 20 times what an NGC MS 69 would sell for, yet they were IDENTICAL coins. The trade was about the holder.

This book is a $40 to $50 book. It is being dressed by plastic with a grading label on it, but it is a common book, with no unusual printing defect flaws in run, no great warehouse fire story to eliminate 95% of the population. Virtually any and every comic collector, like the 12 year old who spends his paper route money on it, have a copy of this book in as issued condition. It is a ultra common.

But so what, if someone wanted the best graded example right now, then there is a premium, to land the only 9.9 Maybe this purchase price represents 1 hour of the buyers time. Maybe he would have gambled it away at the blackjack or craps table (as many people do all the time) but chose to spend money more wisely than that and have something to show for it. Buyer seems thrilled with purchase, price is reasonable as of today.

Let`s wait until we get confirmation from the seller that he`s really received payment. I`m amazed how everyone automatically assumes that just because someone posts anonymously here that he`s the buyer means that he`s really the buyer.

I hope for the seller`s sake that he is for real and that payment will be received soon. However, short of confirmation by the buyer or some sort of confirm from Doug that the poster is for real, I think I`ll just remain skeptical and be pleasantly surprised if it turns out to be for real.

NOBODY here assumed the poster is who he says he is, but it's polite to treat them as such until proven otherwise, or until you have a financial transaction with them or other issue where proven identity becomes necessary.

Allow me to demonstrate:

Noob: Hi guys! Bill Gates here - yes THAT ONE - bet you didn't know I collected comics? Been lurking for years.

Classy response: WTTB Bill! Tell us something about your collection :popcorn:

Childish response: If you're Bill Gates then I'm the Queen of Sheba. Go troll elsewhere.

:makepoint:

Allow me to demonstrate:

Noob: Hi guys! Bill Gates here - yes THAT ONE - bet you didn't know I collected comics? Been lurking for years.

Classy response: WTTB Bill! Tell us something about your collection :popcorn:

Comics General response: If you're Bill Gates then I'm the Queen of Sheba. Go troll elsewhere.

:makepoint:

minor edit for truth (thumbs u

Similar to coin craze years back, when an NGC MS70 would sell for 20 times what an NGC MS 69 would sell for, yet they were IDENTICAL coins. The trade was about the holder.

This book is a $40 to $50 book. It is being dressed by plastic with a grading label on it, but it is a common book, with no unusual printing defect flaws in run, no great warehouse fire story to eliminate 95% of the population. Virtually any and every comic collector, like the 12 year old who spends his paper route money on it, have a copy of this book in as issued condition. It is a ultra common.

But so what, if someone wanted the best graded example right now, then there is a premium, to land the only 9.9 Maybe this purchase price represents 1 hour of the buyers time. Maybe he would have gambled it away at the blackjack or craps table (as many people do all the time) but chose to spend money more wisely than that and have something to show for it. Buyer seems thrilled with purchase, price is reasonable as of today.

(thumbs u One of the few sensible responses.

Consider this receipt for lunch picked up by Roman Abramovich:

abramovichlunchreceipt.jpg

$47k for lunch, and that's all going down the toilet a couple hours later...

Apparently he also tipped an additional $5k on top of the automatic 20%, so his total tip was more than the sale of NM98.

If someone has the cash to burn, they don't mind paying way over the odds if it gets them what they want. Why show restraint?

That restaurant bill is hard to relate to.... The 20% mandatory tip of $7300, then to throw an extra 5k on top, just because the waiter made sure the breadsticks were warm. I need to get a job at this restaurant.

See, the CGC 9.9 NM 98 is a freaken bloody bargain!

About five years ago, I got destroyed for buying a Identity Crisis 4 with the poster insert still intact - I've never seen another one like it - for $250. Nasty, personal attacks (they weren't here). I guarantee that book will sell for more than that now, but I don't want to sell it.

It'd be worth even more if Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow hadn't tanked :insane:

My wife has a very wealthy friend and we went out to dinner with them one time. While they were very nice people they were "new rich" so the lady had to mention she was ordering a very expensive bottle of wine I actually felt a lot of remorse/guilt even drinking it. Hard to enjoy yourself drinking a bottle of wine that easily a few weeks salary. Its very difficult to not be either envious or begrudge people who just away money like its water. Far as the wine I'm no expert and neither were they but it was just the good ego trip for them to be able to drop a few thousand bucks like its nothing on drinks.

About five years ago, I got destroyed for buying a Identity Crisis 4 with the poster insert still intact - I've never seen another one like it - for $250. Nasty, personal attacks (they weren't here). I guarantee that book will sell for more than that now, but I don't want to sell it.

It'd be worth even more if Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow hadn't tanked :insane:

Got that right. Boy, was that movie awful. Just terrible.

(thumbs u One of the few sensible responses.

Consider this receipt for lunch picked up by Roman Abramovich:

abramovichlunchreceipt.jpg

$47k for lunch, and that's all going down the toilet a couple hours later...

Apparently he also tipped an additional $5k on top of the automatic 20%, so his total tip was more than the sale of NM98.

If someone has the cash to burn, they don't mind paying way over the odds if it gets them what they want. Why show restraint?

Makes me SO glad I'm not a wine fan. :grin: