• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sale of the Year - New Mutants #98 CGC 9.9 for $12,250
5 5

1,155 posts in this topic

I wouldn't compare the decline in CD buying to the possible demise of printed comic books.

The format of comics has been fairly constant for more than 70 years and has had no real competion, format wise. CD's have been around for the mass market since the early 80's and were preceeded by variations of vinyl and tape. The main selling point of CD's was sound quality - ironically superior to the mp3 which has just about replaced it.

The main reason for mp3's replacing CD's, apart from the fact you can get them for free if you so want to, is that fact that thay can be played on a number of different machines and while you are mobile, from the computer to the cell phone. While digital comic books can be also accessed in the same way they are, to state the obvious, two completely different media.

I'm listening to music while I type this. I listen to music when I work or when I read a comic. You don't need to concentrate, you do if you are reading - even if it is only a modern comic!

High prices and rubbish content will do more damage to modern comics than digital ones. Digital copies of older copies is a good thing though and I look forward to reading all the stuff I currently can't afford.

I wouldn't compare the decline in CD buying to the possible demise of printed comic books.

The format of comics has been fairly constant for more than 70 years and has had no real competion, format wise. CD's have been around for the mass market since the early 80's and were preceeded by variations of vinyl and tape. The main selling point of CD's was sound quality - ironically superior to the mp3 which has just about replaced it.

The main reason for mp3's replacing CD's, apart from the fact you can get them for free if you so want to, is that fact that thay can be played on a number of different machines and while you are mobile, from the computer to the cell phone. While digital comic books can be also accessed in the same way they are, to state the obvious, two completely different media.

I'm listening to music while I type this. I listen to music when I work or when I read a comic. You don't need to concentrate, you do if you are reading - even if it is only a modern comic!

High prices and rubbish content will do more damage to modern comics than digital ones. Digital copies of older copies is a good thing though and I look forward to reading all the stuff I currently can't afford.

I dunno if jobs is in charge of marvel I think he has a point. I was skeptical about it until I read that part, but him owning marvel does change a lot. He's probably more interested in teh movies, but still. Who's to say it couldn't happen. They could load marvel's entire back catalog onto a reader and charge $1 a download or something. Want to read FF 1-10? $10. Or better yet, want to read something that's been reprinted less, like Tales of Suspense 11 - 20? $10. I have to say if the reader is half decent I would download and read old books for $1 that I wouldn't have to pay $50 for in vg.

The newer books... I think that would come later, so we'll see, but think about it... they have all that content just sitting there waiting to be digitized and turned into a profit stream. And if I can read Young Allies #4 for $1 on my phone, I will

Now everyone and their sister is going to slab their copy of New Mutants 98. Deadpool in the Wolverine movie looked stupid,looked nothing like him and was only in it for 5 minutes. Don't see how that justifies a $12K+ price,certianly grats to the seller and I have known him since High School, But the buyer is buying a label really. OK now the buyer has a NM #98 9.9...now what?

sup Kev. Thanks for the congrats. Your brother couldn't believe it either. He was the first person I called. :grin:

I still can't believe it either. I thought your reserve was crazy,but now you certianly sold it at a good time. Never know another 9.9 could pop up and sell for 15K-20K. Never know what can happen these days.

Madness, but at least he has something to show for his money as opposed to going to Vegas and blowing it all, lol.

If I had gone to Vegas with $12,250 at least my would be sore instead of my .

It really depends on what kind of kinky mess you are into.

Madness, but at least he has something to show for his money as opposed to going to Vegas and blowing it all, lol.

If I had gone to Vegas with $12,250 at least my would be sore instead of my .

How come you turn into a giver when you go to Vegas?

I remember talking to a collector in 1996, he paid $1,000 for a NM Fantastic Four #1, and $800.00 for a NM Green Lantern #1 out of the comic buyers guide in around 1982-1984 or so if I can remember.

And you actually saying this is the same thing?

No one is disputing that a high-grade copy of NM 98 has some value and that Deadpool is popular character.

What is so incredibly humorous is that someone is willing to pay such a huge premium for a totally arbitrary 1/10 of a CGC grade difference.

I still can't believe it either. I thought your reserve was crazy,but now you certianly sold it at a good time. Never know another 9.9 could pop up and sell for 15K-20K. Never know what can happen these days.

Or more likey, $2000. Once the 9.9 is no longer unique, the value drops on a book like this. To put this label chasing price in perspective, there are other books from roughly the same era that would command a higher price in raw NM than New Mutants 98; including Bone#1, SDCC #2, TMNT #1, and Albedo #2. These books would also command a higher price in slabbed 9.8 than NM98, but what is the likelyhood that anyone would pay 12K for a 9.9? In the perverse world of high grade copper/modern books, the easier a book is to find in 9.8, the more valuable a 9.9 (or 10.0) becomes as long as it is the only one!

Before folks get too wedded to the idea that Deadpool is the modern era's Wolverine - they might want to recall how popular DC's Lobo was around the time NM 98 came out.

Or more likey, $2000. Once the 9.9 is no longer unique, the value drops on a book like this. To put this label chasing price in perspective, there are other books from roughly the same era that would command a higher price in raw NM than New Mutants 98; including Bone#1, SDCC #2, TMNT #1, and Albedo #2. These books would also command a higher price in slabbed 9.8 than NM98, but what is the likelyhood that anyone would pay 12K for a 9.9? In the perverse world of high grade copper/modern books, the easier a book is to find in 9.8, the more valuable a 9.9 (or 10.0) becomes as long as it is the only one!

Before folks get too wedded to the idea that Deadpool is the modern era's Wolverine - they might want to recall how popular DC's Lobo was around the time NM 98 came out.

exactly (thumbs u

I remember talking to a collector in 1996, he paid $1,000 for a NM Fantastic Four #1, and $800.00 for a NM Green Lantern #1 out of the comic buyers guide in around 1982-1984 or so if I can remember.

No one is disputing that a high-grade copy of NM 98 has some value and that Deadpool is popular character.

What is so incredibly humorous is that someone is willing to pay such a huge premium for a totally arbitrary 1/10 of a CGC grade difference.

That's what it's all about - one can pick up a NM copy of NM98 on ebay for about $30 - that I'm sure is every bit as NM as that FF#1 and GL #1 were in 1982.

It's interesting isn't it that we choose to use information in whatever way suits our purpose.

Because another way to look at it is that, if in fact what you are saying is true, that it is "totally arbitary", then there would not be only 1 9.9 and 396 9.8s. If it was "totally arbitrary", then statistically there should be many 9.9s as well as many 9.8s.

A single 9.9 versus 396 9.8s would lead one to conclude that there may be something about that book that is different from the 396 9.8s.

It's interesting isn't it that we choose to use information in whatever way suits our purpose.

Because another way to look at it is that, if in fact what you are saying is true, that it is "totally arbitary", then there would not be only 1 9.9 and 396 9.8s. If it was "totally arbitrary", then statistically there should be many 9.9s as well as many 9.8s.

A single 9.9 versus 396 9.8s would lead one to conclude that there may be something about that book that is different from the 396 9.8s.

You know. I don't think that is true.

I posted this in the copper forum so I'll rehash it here because it fits this conversation.

I submitted a batch of books in search of a 9.9. The one book that I thought had a strong shot at 9.9 got a 9.9. The rest were locks at 9.8. I was hoping to squeak another one past but they didn't make it. They all got 9.8's.

Coincidence?

That's not what "totally arbitrary" means in this case.... (thumbs u

That's not what "totally arbitrary" means in this case.... (thumbs u

Relatively speaking, the 9.9 was better.

:devil: