• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sale of the Year - New Mutants #98 CGC 9.9 for $12,250
5 5

1,155 posts in this topic

$12 for a glass of water? No one would pay that much when you can get an exact same version of the glass of water next door for free! It's like the 12 year old on the paper route who traded his NM 98 for a glass of water. It just doesn't make sense.

/sarcasm

It wasn't a glass, it was a bottle.

Likely Evian or Perrier...

I'm sure Mr. Abramovich had just closed a major deal. So, you're example is quite mute.

It wasn't particularly relevant, but I thought it was interesting in a voyeuristic sort of way.

It is however an example of the sort of spending that many people consider offensive. They'll say things like "Ooh he could have had McDonalds and then bought some poor homeless person a house instead!", and they'll say "No way is any food or wine so superior that it's worth $50k! He completely wasted that money."

...Which is kind of similar to this thread :)

Your logic fails. Truffle carpaccio is SUBSTANTIALLY higher quality food than a Big Mac.

Similar to coin craze years back, when an NGC MS70 would sell for 20 times what an NGC MS 69 would sell for, yet they were IDENTICAL coins. The trade was about the holder.

This book is a $40 to $50 book. It is being dressed by plastic with a grading label on it, but it is a common book, with no unusual printing defect flaws in run, no great warehouse fire story to eliminate 95% of the population. Virtually any and every comic collector, like the 12 year old who spends his paper route money on it, have a copy of this book in as issued condition. It is a ultra common.

But so what, if someone wanted the best graded example right now, then there is a premium, to land the only 9.9 Maybe this purchase price represents 1 hour of the buyers time. Maybe he would have gambled it away at the blackjack or craps table (as many people do all the time) but chose to spend money more wisely than that and have something to show for it. Buyer seems thrilled with purchase, price is reasonable as of today.

(thumbs u One of the few sensible responses.

Consider this receipt for lunch picked up by Roman Abramovich:

abramovichlunchreceipt.jpg

$47k for lunch, and that's all going down the toilet a couple hours later...

Apparently he also tipped an additional $5k on top of the automatic 20%, so his total tip was more than the sale of NM98.

If someone has the cash to burn, they don't mind paying way over the odds if it gets them what they want. Why show restraint?

Write-off.

Reminds of me the seinfeld episode ;) Yes he probably got a tax deduction for it but after the tax deduction it still costs him tens of thousands of dollars.... whether its 50k for lunch or 35k or whatever after the value of the deduction...... its still pretty impressive :insane:

than anyone spending $12K+ for a New Mutants #98 CGC 9.9, a book that is practically without value except for the big 9.9 on the label (and which some would deem arbitrary vis-a-vis some strong 9.8s which sell for 1/50th the price). :doh:

Oh, thank God, somebody gets it.

than anyone spending $12K+ for a New Mutants #98 CGC 9.9, a book that is practically without value except for the big 9.9 on the label (and which some would deem arbitrary vis-a-vis some strong 9.8s which sell for 1/50th the price). :doh:

Sigh.

Everybody gets it. We all get it.

The discussion comes to down whether you can or can not choose a 9.9 out of the line up or not.

If somebody can, then the $12K is "worth it" to somebody.

If somebody cannot then it's "arbitrary".

Sigh.

Everybody gets it. We all get it.

Speak for yourself, Chewbacca. "We" can speak for themselves.

I'm quite certain many, many people don't get it, and think this is about "telling people how to spend your billions of dollars."

I know that because they keep saying it.

(thumbs u

The discussion comes to down whether you can or can not choose a 9.9 out of the line up or not.

If somebody can, then the $12K is "worth it" to somebody.

If somebody cannot then it's "arbitrary".

Except, of course, no on can.

Weren't you the guy that said you picked 3 10.0 raw books for submission and had them graded at 10.0 or did i misunderstand you?

Didn't I "guess" and send in a comic that I thought had a shot at 9.9 and it came back CGC 9.9 while all the rest I had pegged at 9.8 and they graded CGC 9.8?

Didn't we just discuss this on the copper forum a few weeks ago?

How is that arbitrary?

Weren't you the guy that said you picked 3 10.0 raw books for submission and had them graded at 10.0 or did i misunderstand you?

Didn't I "guess" and send in a comic that I thought had a shot at 9.9 and it came back CGC 9.9 while all the rest I had pegged at 9.8 and they graded CGC 9.8?

How is that arbitrary?

Here's how I would define it.

If Jon Jespersen told me a modern was 9.8, I'd bet $500 that he was right.

If JJ told me a book was 9.9, I'd back it up with $20.

You just never know with the uber grades.

How is that arbitrary?

Heh...it's like I read your mind...

De-slab the 9.9. De-slab, oh, 10 very strong looking 9.8s.

Put them together.

Don't identify which is which.

Then have someone pick out the single 9.9.

Possible? Sure. Likely? Oh, I don't think so....

In my example, I picked out the strongest books from a stack in my hand. But any one of them could easily have come back a 9.9 (and one of them probably should have.) And I said that at the time, too, because it's always true.

But if I had 11 copies slabbed, and 4 of them came back 9.8, 4 of them came back 9.9, and three of them came back 10...then I de-slabbed them, and you had me pick which ones came back which grades with absolute certainty, I couldn't do it.

No one can.

And that's the major difference: picking out not-yet-graded books from a stack and arriving at a fairly good idea of their final CGC grade is NOT the same as picking out the one book from a stack of books that have already been graded and determining, with 100% accuracy, which was which....and, if they were re-subbed, I doubt they'd come back the same, either.

But...that DOES give me an interesting idea for an experiment.... hm

Maybe a panel at SD..... hm

To both Sean and RAM,

I understand. And for the most part disagree.

I really don't feel like discussing this any more. Can somebody help me stop?

:insane:

To both Sean and RAM,

Discuss, don't discuss.

Stop, don't stop.

You are too concerned about what was and what will be. There is a saying: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present."

To both Sean and RAM,

Discuss, don't discuss.

Stop, don't stop.

You are too concerned about what was and what will be. There is a saying: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present."

No, I'm just too overwhelmed mentally to get involved right now.

:pullhair:

Chewbacca?

:roflmao:

In the meantime, the original owner has already flipped the book for a partial interest in an Orange Julius location, as well as a shipment of bamboo for his pet panda.

The buyer is too busy to respond, as you can see, due to his participation in a truffle carpaccio tasting in the Internation Festival of Food taking place today in Orlando. Very exciting stuff!