• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sale of the Year - New Mutants #98 CGC 9.9 for $12,250
5 5

1,155 posts in this topic

Similar to coin craze years back, when an NGC MS70 would sell for 20 times what an NGC MS 69 would sell for, yet they were IDENTICAL coins. The trade was about the holder.

This book is a $40 to $50 book. It is being dressed by plastic with a grading label on it, but it is a common book, with no unusual printing defect flaws in run, no great warehouse fire story to eliminate 95% of the population. Virtually any and every comic collector, like the 12 year old who spends his paper route money on it, have a copy of this book in as issued condition. It is a ultra common.

But so what, if someone wanted the best graded example right now, then there is a premium, to land the only 9.9 Maybe this purchase price represents 1 hour of the buyers time. Maybe he would have gambled it away at the blackjack or craps table (as many people do all the time) but chose to spend money more wisely than that and have something to show for it. Buyer seems thrilled with purchase, price is reasonable as of today.

(thumbs u One of the few sensible responses.

Consider this receipt for lunch picked up by Roman Abramovich:

abramovichlunchreceipt.jpg

$47k for lunch, and that's all going down the toilet a couple hours later...

Apparently he also tipped an additional $5k on top of the automatic 20%, so his total tip was more than the sale of NM98.

If someone has the cash to burn, they don't mind paying way over the odds if it gets them what they want. Why show restraint?

If you think about it, if you take away the super expensive wine the total amounts to $1641 plus tax plus gratuities. Making the total about $2,000 without the wine. Now take into account the huge amount of people at the gathering, and my guess is that dining out there is not as expensive as one would imagine, especially if you take out the wine.

looks to me like it was lunch for 4. not sure how you got "huge amount of people," but maybe you know more about the backstory than what's evident in the check

Similar to coin craze years back, when an NGC MS70 would sell for 20 times what an NGC MS 69 would sell for, yet they were IDENTICAL coins. The trade was about the holder.

This book is a $40 to $50 book. It is being dressed by plastic with a grading label on it, but it is a common book, with no unusual printing defect flaws in run, no great warehouse fire story to eliminate 95% of the population. Virtually any and every comic collector, like the 12 year old who spends his paper route money on it, have a copy of this book in as issued condition. It is a ultra common.

But so what, if someone wanted the best graded example right now, then there is a premium, to land the only 9.9 Maybe this purchase price represents 1 hour of the buyers time. Maybe he would have gambled it away at the blackjack or craps table (as many people do all the time) but chose to spend money more wisely than that and have something to show for it. Buyer seems thrilled with purchase, price is reasonable as of today.

Apparently he also tipped an additional $5k on top of the automatic 20%, so his total tip was more than the sale of NM98.

If someone has the cash to burn, they don't mind paying way over the odds if it gets them what they want. Why show restraint?

I'm sure Mr. Abramovich had just closed a major deal. So, you're example is quite mute.

looks to me like it was lunch for 4. not sure how you got "huge amount of people," but maybe you know more about the backstory than what's evident in the check

It says 6 customers, so maybe it was not a huge amount of people. I was just guessing it was a huge amount of people since there were 5 bottles of wine served. I did not take into a account that these people maybe alcoholics.

It says 6 customers, so maybe it was not a huge amount of people. I was just guessing it was a huge amount of people since there were 5 bottles of wine served. I did not take into a account that these people maybe alcoholics.

If you want to become rich, get into the alcohol business, my uncle owned a bar for 20 years, it`s economy proof :)

I'm sure Mr. Abramovich had just closed a major deal. So, you're example is quite mute.

moot  /mut/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [moot] Show IPA

Use moot in a Sentence

See web results for moot

See images of moot

–adjective 1. open to discussion or debate; debatable; doubtful: a moot point.

2. of little or no practical value or meaning; purely academic.

3. Chiefly Law. not actual; theoretical; hypothetical.

mute  /myut/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [myoot] Show IPA adjective, mut⋅er, mut⋅est, noun, verb, mut⋅ed, mut⋅ing.

Use mute in a Sentence

See web results for mute

See images of mute

–adjective 1. silent; refraining from speech or utterance.

2. not emitting or having sound of any kind.

3. incapable of speech; dumb.

4. (of letters) silent; not pronounced.

5. Law. (of a person who has been arraigned) making no plea or giving an irrelevant response when arraigned, or refusing to stand trial (used chiefly in the phrase to stand mute).

6. Fox Hunting. (of a hound) hunting a line without giving tongue or cry.

Everything is relative once you are that wealthy. Still doesnt account for someone paying $12K for a paper lable that says 9.9 instead of 9.8 Can you imagine how much dollar inventory in wine that place must have?

Anyone who collects CGC books pays for the label - doesn't matter whether you're paying an extra $12k to get a 9.9 copy of NM #98 (instead of an 9.8), or an extra $50k to get an 8.5 copy of X-Men #1 (instead of an 8.0).

$12 for a glass of water? No one would pay that much when you can get an exact same version of the glass of water next door for free! It's like the 12 year old on the paper route who traded his NM 98 for a glass of water. It just doesn't make sense.

/sarcasm

Five bottles of wine between six people defines them as alcoholics? :o

At a nice long, relaxed lunch, you can do a bottle each before the mains arrive. doh!

About five years ago, I got destroyed for buying a Identity Crisis 4 with the poster insert still intact - I've never seen another one like it - for $250. Nasty, personal attacks (they weren't here). I guarantee that book will sell for more than that now, but I don't want to sell it.

It'd be worth even more if Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow hadn't tanked :insane:

Got that right. Boy, was that movie awful. Just terrible.

I don't want to sound like a queer or nothin' but I think Sky Captain was a sweet movie!

orgazmo3.jpg

It wasn't particularly relevant, but I thought it was interesting in a voyeuristic sort of way.

It is however an example of the sort of spending that many people consider offensive. They'll say things like "Ooh he could have had McDonalds and then bought some poor homeless person a house instead!", and they'll say "No way is any food or wine so superior that it's worth $50k! He completely wasted that money."

...Which is kind of similar to this thread :)

At a nice long, relaxed lunch, you can do a bottle each before the mains arrive. doh!

Exactly ;)

Exactly ;)

Alkie.

$12 for a glass of water? No one would pay that much when you can get an exact same version of the glass of water next door for free! It's like the 12 year old on the paper route who traded his NM 98 for a glass of water. It just doesn't make sense.

/sarcasm

Do you even read what you write?

Exactly ;)

Alkie.

hellblazer68p8.jpg

About five years ago, I got destroyed for buying a Identity Crisis 4 with the poster insert still intact - I've never seen another one like it - for $250. Nasty, personal attacks (they weren't here). I guarantee that book will sell for more than that now, but I don't want to sell it.

It'd be worth even more if Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow hadn't tanked :insane:

Got that right. Boy, was that movie awful. Just terrible.

I don't want to sound like a queer or nothin' but I think Sky Captain was a sweet movie!

orgazmo3.jpg

Angelina Jolie dressed at Wally Wood's wet dream was worth the price of admission all by itself.

Angelina_Jolie_-_Sky_Captain_And-1.jpg

Write-off.

Agreed.

A bottle of wine is no biggie. Lightweights.