• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sale of the Year - New Mutants #98 CGC 9.9 for $12,250
5 5

1,155 posts in this topic

My post has nothing to do with the comics. Everyone can spend whatever they want on whatever they want. I remain convinced that if the thread had been about baby-eating pumas plaguing the American midwest, somewhere in the thread would be post from you about the importance of pumas in the circle of life.

I would disagree with you on the Puma thing. I don't know enough about them to comment...yet. But you would get an honest answer from me.

Maybe you should join me on my personal message board if all you want to do is talk about me then.

:makepoint:

Should it happen? Not in my opinion, but I can't buy into "with all the problems in the world" argument Nick, because if we go down that line of logic, we shouldn't be spending any money on comics because it's all too much in relativity to people's more significant problems.

It's a slippery slope to be sure, but taking the time to reflect on our materialistic ways every now and again can't hurt. For 's sake, the difference in price between a 9.8 and a 9.9 is more than 60%+ of the world's population will make in an entire decade of working 12 hour days. It's sad. The least we could all do is acknowledge our obscene behavior from time to time.

True.

Beyond that, I think the reason this spoons people off so much, myself included, is that at this level its pure unadulterated label-chasing. Its not about the book, not even a little bit.

There are those among us who would take the 12.5K hammer as being a sign that "DOOM is among us".

Yep. I have a hard time seeing how a NM 98 selling for 12K is in any way indicative of a healthy market. At best, it's a krazy anomaly.

Maybe Krazy Kat bought it! lol

Yeah...this one's :screwy:

lol is right. The only thing crazier than the hammer price would be that.

Should it happen? Not in my opinion, but I can't buy into "with all the problems in the world" argument Nick, because if we go down that line of logic, we shouldn't be spending any money on comics because it's all too much in relativity to people's more significant problems.

It's a slippery slope to be sure, but taking the time to reflect on our materialistic ways every now and again can't hurt. For 's sake, the difference in price between a 9.8 and a 9.9 is more than 60%+ of the world's population will make in an entire decade of working 12 hour days. It's sad. The least we could all do is acknowledge our obscene behavior from time to time.

hear, hear.

or

here, here.

I can't keep that one straight.

so instead of swiping at all of humanity with cuss words and hyperbola why don't you explain why exactly you think the buyer (or several of them) shouldn't spend big money on comics.

Because he's a cretin and requires sectioning and his wallet taking off him.

Nick you made me laugh out loud!

:roflmao:

For record I myself think this price is out there and over the top but I'm not going to berate the buyer (or bidders) because I don't know what they do for a living or how much they donate to charity or how they treat their fellow humans.

I will definitely be on the lookout for a raw copy that will grade a 9.9 though.

:devil:

I'm sure that somebody paying $1000 for a modern (and there are lots of them for sale in the selling forum) is no different than someone paying $10,000 for a modern.

It's all ridiculous to society.

I want to see these examples you're referring to, Roy. :popcorn:

I still want to see. :popcorn:

I acknowledge it. I am constantly trying to find a balance and since I am not a moderate or conservative personality sometimes it difficult trying to find a balance between the pendulum swings.

I'll be the first to admit I'm not a Mother Theresa but that doesn't make me a glutton either.

Doing the best I can.....

Further, I thought that in a pluralistic society, we were supposed to have more respect for each other's worldviews, but what I see a hellalot of on here is good old boy posturing to maintain groupthink at some member's expense.

I respect Roy as a person. I also respect his right to his own worldview. I don't have to, nor do i sometimes, respect his worldview. Particularly when it is the same old shuck and jive about high prices, health of the hobby, people for whom $12,500 is the same as $20 to you and me. Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

I don't have any skin in the high grade Silver or Gold game. All the high grade stuff that I have in those genres I either got at a deep discount, bought a long time ago, or both. I have paid what I consider to be a lot of money for some high grade Bronze, but i love it and it was money that could go down the rathole tomorrow and I am none the worse for wear.

I consider it part of my civic duty to shout out when the Emperor is running around nekkid.

:roflmao:

Nick, my point is where do you draw the line as to what is an acceptable price and what isn't?

The line is in a different spot for every person depending on how deep their pockets are and what their perspective of the hobby is.

There are 100's of sales every year where people wretch at prices and they just continue to happen.

Some prices, in hindsight are good investments, and some are not.

When Wolverine Limited #1 in CGC 10.0 sold for $4000 that shook people up quite a bit. 6 years later a second copy surfaces and sells for $15,000.

Who knows what the future holds?

Nobody. That's why every new record price in comics is mocked with scorn.

:wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: From your lips to gods ears... :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck:

:wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck:

ItGoesto11.jpg

:wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck:

Further, I thought that in a pluralistic society, we were supposed to have more respect for each other's worldviews, but what I see a hellalot of on here is good old boy posturing to maintain groupthink at some member's expense.

I respect Roy as a person. I also respect his right to his own worldview. I don't have to, nor do i sometimes, respect his worldview. Particularly when it is the same old shuck and jive about high prices, health of the hobby, people for whom $12,500 is the same as $20 to you and me. Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

I don't have any skin in the high grade Silver or Gold game. All the high grade stuff that I have in those genres I either got at a deep discount, bought a long time ago, or both. I have paid what I consider to be a lot of money for some high grade Bronze, but i love it and it was money that could go down the rathole tomorrow and I am none the worse for wear.

I consider it part of my civic duty to shout out when the Emperor is running around nekkid.

You were trolling.

I called you on it.

It really is that simple. Lawyer it up all you want to.

You remain my friend.

It’s totally irresponsible for someone to be spending that much cash on a piece of sheit like that. And the buyer likely didn't make the money themselves, but is spending someone else's money.

If the book actually ever gets paid for.

You were trolling.

I called you on it.

It really is that simple. Lawyer it up all you want to.

You remain my friend.

I call shenanigans on your trolling on his trolling. (tsk)

I'm sure that somebody paying $1000 for a modern (and there are lots of them for sale in the selling forum) is no different than someone paying $10,000 for a modern.

It's all ridiculous to society.

I want to see these examples you're referring to, Roy. :popcorn:

I still want to see. :popcorn:

I should have said for sale in the forum. Whether they actually sell or not is a different matter.

DocWatson has a sig series modern X-men that he was asking $900 or so for IIRC.

ASM #300 in 9.8 was a $1000 just a while back and several of them went through the forums over the years. Now they are selling for $600+.

There may have been some other sig books. I can't remember all of them.

I'm sure there are many more....my point was that you can talk about how insane $10K is for a modern but the truth is that several people out there are paying these prices and to the average person whether it's $1K or $10K it's all nuts.