• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sale of the Year - New Mutants #98 CGC 9.9 for $12,250
5 5

1,155 posts in this topic

$12,250?

megan_fox_naked.jpg

Looks like pretty good deal for the average collector.

now that's worth the price of addmission

There are hotter women available for 1/12th of that price, or less. They just aren't name brands.

$12,250?

megan_fox_naked.jpg

For that price it'd better be an all-day pass.

...with a spoon stamp for re-entry later.

$12,250?

megan_fox_naked.jpg

There are hotter women available for 1/12th of that price, or less. They just aren't name brands.

So, I can get them at Wal-Mart...?

$12,250?

megan_fox_naked.jpg

You just gave up and typed "spoon" instead of ""...

Lazyass. ;)

The same can be said for blue jeans. :gossip:

Well, except for the "hotter" part.

$12,250?

megan_fox_naked.jpg

No doubt.

$12,250?

megan_fox_naked.jpg

You just gave up and typed "spoon" instead of ""...

Lazyass. ;)

I've been doing that for a while now. It'll catch on.

Let's not go crazy -- the price is ridiculous. I would never pay it. But it's not the end of the world either nor the collecting world. If the person has the money to spend and wants this "best" copy, then they are obviously willing to pay for it.

Should it happen? Not in my opinion, but I can't buy into "with all the problems in the world" argument Nick, because if we go down that line of logic, we shouldn't be spending any money on comics because it's all too much in relativity to people's more significant problems.

Brian, no matter how rich you might become, could you ever justify to yourself spending that sort of money on this book? Could you sleep at night if you did?

I certainly couldn't. Seems to me there's a lot of folk who know the price of everything and the value of nothing. :(

Never in a million years.

As to the relativism concept, yes some things are relative. I'm not saying all things and all morals and judgments are relative, but yes, how someone spends their money has no objective basis to call it "proper" or "improper" -- what I think you can do is come to a consensus whether a majority of people think it is a wise decision. I would never spend $100, let alone $12k on a NM 98. There are also plenty of people who thinking spending $5 on a comic book ever is a waste and stupid.

For the select few that think the book is a piece of trash.. everyone has an opinion and their right to express it. I happen to love the book and that's why I originally bought it. I paid more than the publicly known price of 510.00 that was sold back in 2005 as I bought this book back in 2007 I believe but when I did, I had friends bustin' me about buying it for what I paid for it. They said the same thing 2 years ago that the market would have tons of 9.9s falling from the sky back then..I'm not saying there won't be, just saying even if a few pop up, it would only be 2 or 3 for everyone who might want one and demand is there as he is getting very popular.

To those who made it aware I was a fellow forum member, thank you. I was absolutely flawed when I came home and saw the final bid. I almost died right there. I was at a resteranut with a friend and she checked the auction for me on her phone and it was at 4777.00 at the time I believe and within the 15 minutes it took me to get home, she called me screaming telling me it was at 10k ! I though she was messing with me and when I checked the site, it had only a few seconds to go..I'm sitting there thinking "omg! I can't believe this book is hitting 10k! and a few seconds later 12,250.00 blessed my computer screen. I figured between 4 to 6k might be where it was placed. Never did I expect this to go to what it did. I'm not complaining of course, but for someone to say I may have been "shill bidding" wasn't very fair considering you don't know me as other members here do. I'm a straight shooter and I've dealt with several sellers on here over the years who can back that up. For the winning bidder, I hope he's happy with the book as I know that out of all the books I've owned over the years including Daredevil 1 9.2 (from highgrade comics) hulk 181 9.6, marvel spotlight 5 9.6, iron fist 14 9.8 spidey 50 9.4, ff 48 9.6 :blahblah:, this was my favorite because I love the character. Never in my wildest dreams did I figure it would reach this height at the auction though. I'm still floored.

As a few members pointed out though, I will post once payment is in my hands. I know there are those who may look at this in a negative way but I'm just happy it did what it did and I didn't set that price.. My reserve was 3750.00 because I went through a lot to get this book at the time and I had a hard time letting it go.

Thanks again to all those who posted in the copper threads with all the congrats on the sale(pending payment lol) Oh yeah, thank you too Ryan Reynolds :whee:

For the select few that think the book is a piece of trash.. everyone has an opinion and their right to express it. I happen to love the book and that's why I originally bought it. I paid more than the publicly known price of 510.00 that was sold back in 2005 as I bought this book back in 2007 I believe but when I did, I had friends bustin' me about buying it for what I paid for it. They said the same thing 2 years ago that the market would have tons of 9.9s falling from the sky back then..I'm not saying there won't be, just saying even if a few pop up, it would only be 2 or 3 for everyone who might want one and demand is there as he is getting very popular.

To those who made it aware I was a fellow forum member, thank you. I was absolutely flawed when I came home and saw the final bid. I almost died right there. I was at a resteranut with a friend and she checked the auction for me on her phone and it was at 4777.00 at the time I believe and within the 15 minutes it took me to get home, she called me screaming telling me it was at 10k ! I though she was messing with me and when I checked the site, it had only a few seconds to go..I'm sitting there thinking "omg! I can't believe this book is hitting 10k! and a few seconds later 12,250.00 blessed my computer screen. I figured between 4 to 6k might be where it was placed. Never did I expect this to go to what it did. I'm not complaining of course, but for someone to say I may have been "shill bidding" wasn't very fair considering you don't know me as other members here do. I'm a straight shooter and I've dealt with several sellers on here over the years who can back that up. For the winning bidder, I hope he's happy with the book as I know that out of all the books I've owned over the years including Daredevil 1 9.2 (from highgrade comics) hulk 181 9.6, marvel spotlight 5 9.6, iron fist 14 9.8 spidey 50 9.4, ff 48 9.6 :blahblah:, this was my favorite because I love the character. Never in my wildest dreams did I figure it would reach this height at the auction though. I'm still floored.

As a few members pointed out though, I will post once payment is in my hands. I know there are those who may look at this in a negative way but I'm just happy it did what it did and I didn't set that price.. My reserve was 3750.00 because I went through a lot to get this book at the time and I had a hard time letting it go.

Thanks again to all those who posted in the copper threads with all the congrats on the sale(pending payment lol) Oh yeah, thank you too Ryan Reynolds :whee:

Dude, all I can say is in' congrats on the sale. I truly hope you get paid.

$12,250?

megan_fox_naked.jpg

No doubt.

Besides, women that hot are rarely great in bed; it isn't a skill they need to develop because men will be all over them, regardless.

This should be seen for what it really is... a perfect chance for us all to feel better about ourselves. I doubt there is one person who's participated in this discussion who would actually drop this kind of coin on this kind of book. (If I'm wrong, I'm sorry... I'm really, really sorry.)

Obviously there are some people in the hobby for whom money has little or no meaning. Me, I'm with the majority. I think long and hard before I drop money on a big ticket comic or piece of art. I would be reluctant to boldly go to a price point that defies all logic. Think Todd McSpawn and his million dollar baseballs.

Congrats to the seller, though. :applause:

maybe he will buy a mid-grade FF1 or AF 15 with the profits, then again maybe he will use the 12 grand for a down payment on a house. hm

you gotta love this country, a rob liefeld comicbook can get you a downpayment for a house. :)

Edited by MR.COMICBOOK

$12,250?

megan_fox_naked.jpg

No doubt.

Besides, women that hot are rarely great in bed; it isn't a skill they need to develop because men will be all over them, regardless.

She wouldn't need to be good in bed as long as I could do my thang :cloud9: