• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sale of the Year - New Mutants #98 CGC 9.9 for $12,250
5 5

1,155 posts in this topic

You were trolling. True.

I called you on it. True.

You remain my friend. Hopefully true.

:foryou: But still, eat me.

Deffinitely true. (to the friend thing, and maybe, possibly, you know if the right combo of liquors end up in ma belly, the other thing too)

:whee:

All this back and forth about "it's his money, he can do what he wants with it!" and "what a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed, paying $12K for a modern book" totally veers around the point.

The difference in physical condition between this book and a strong 9.8 is non-existent.

Fully 5% of the nearly 400 9.8s now on the census are in the exact same physical condition as this book, or better.

It just so happened that the graders agreed to bestow this particular copy with a 9.9 on the day it was graded. Does it DESERVE the grade? Sure, absolutely. But so do at least 10-20 copies of the 9.8s that were graded, too.

I have 8 9.8s on the census. Probably 2-3 of those could fairly have been 9.9s. Did they get them? No, but if they had, this copy wouldn't have sold for $12K.

The buyer paid $12,000 for a piece of artwork...this:

newmutants98cgc99-2.jpg

newmutants98cgc99-1-1.jpg

NOT the book inside the slab. Kind of a crummy piece of artwork for $12K, but what the hey, modern art is hot.

When more 9.9s show up....and they probably will...then what? The X-Men #141 in 9.9 sold for $14,000. This book sold for 85% of that price. Which was "the best value for their money"...?

Perspective. It's totally lacking in these sales.

I consider it part of my civic duty to shout out when the Emperor is running around nekkid.

Everyone is running around nekkid. Even you. That the beauty of it. One person running around nekkid is trying to tell the other person running around nekkid, that he is nekkid. If you want to take a discussion about the price of the book and make it personal we can rip each other up perpetually, Troll.

I still love you, you conservative you.

:foryou:

All this back and forth about "it's his money, he can do what he wants with it!" and "what a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed, paying $12K for a modern book" totally veers around the point.

The difference in physical condition between this book and a strong 9.8 is non-existent.

Fully 5% of the nearly 400 9.8s now on the census are in the exact same physical condition as this book, or better.

It just so happened that the graders agreed to bestow this particular copy with a 9.9 on the day it was graded. Does it DESERVE the grade? Sure, absolutely. But so do at least 10-20 copies of the 9.8s that were graded, too.

I have 8 9.8s on the census. Probably 2-3 of those could fairly have been 9.9s. Did they get them? No, but if they had, this copy wouldn't have sold for $12K.

The buyer paid $12,000 for a piece of artwork...this:

newmutants98cgc99-2.jpg

newmutants98cgc99-1-1.jpg

NOT the book inside the slab. Kind of a crummy piece of artwork for $12K, but what the hey, modern art is hot.

When more 9.9s show up....and they probably will...then what? The X-Men #141 in 9.9 sold for $14,000. This book sold for 85% of that price. Which was "the best value for their money"...?

Perspective. It's totally lacking in these sales.

An accurate summary would be "omgwtfbbq that could have been a 9.8 on another day and bring $12,000 less at auction, lolololololo"

You were trolling. True.

Deffinitely true. (to the friend thing, and maybe, possibly, you know if the right combo of liquors end up in ma belly, the other thing too)

Goodness.

Drunken gay come-ons....

What would Robin think...?

_albums_v295_jeffreykli_Forum-Scans_robin1.jpg

Should it happen? Not in my opinion, but I can't buy into "with all the problems in the world" argument Nick, because if we go down that line of logic, we shouldn't be spending any money on comics because it's all too much in relativity to people's more significant problems.

It's a slippery slope to be sure, but taking the time to reflect on our materialistic ways every now and again can't hurt. For 's sake, the difference in price between a 9.8 and a 9.9 is more than 60%+ of the world's population will make in an entire decade of working 12 hour days. It's sad. The least we could all do is acknowledge our obscene behavior from time to time.

True.

Beyond that, I think the reason this spoons people off so much, myself included, is that at this level its pure unadulterated label-chasing. Its not about the book, not even a little bit.

I completely agree with you, but, hey, if that's that buyer's thing... :shrug: ... great for the seller.

so instead of swiping at all of humanity with cuss words and hyperbola

Hyperbola1.gif

I agree, those look like they could hurt....

That's what you get when you have two arms swinging while talking.

:kidaround:

An accurate summary would be "omgwtfbbq that could have been a 9.8 on another day and bring $12,000 less at auction, lolololololo"

Oh my God, what the f**k, BBQ??

lol

that one did make me laugh out loud.

You were trolling. True.

Goodness.

Drunken gay come-ons....

What would Robin think...?

_albums_v295_jeffreykli_Forum-Scans_robin1.jpg

I got nothing.

I consider it part of my civic duty to shout out when the Emperor is running around nekkid.

Everyone is running around nekkid. Even you. That the beauty of it. One person running around nekkid is trying to tell the other person running around nekkid, that he is nekkid. If you want to take a discussion about the price of the book and make it personal we can rip each other up perpetually, Troll.

{Sigh} :foryou:

{Sigh} :foryou:

:roflmao:

and

(thumbs u

but mostly

:roflmao:

And this bears little relation to the "record prices" discussion currently raging hard in this thread....

Someone pays $300K+ for a 6.5 copy of Action #1...

"OMG, what a CUH-RAZY price!!"

Except, of course, that it has 50 year of precedent of continual demand and price increases supporting that figure.

Same with most of the other books, even the GL #76.

This sale has no precedent. The highest selling 9.8U before this didn't sell for 1/30th the price of the 9.9.

And the odds of another 9.9 showing up are pretty good.

It's totally and utterly out of perspective. It is, to me, the most extreme example of "buying the label, not the book" as I have ever seen.