• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sale of the Year - New Mutants #98 CGC 9.9 for $12,250
5 5

1,155 posts in this topic

The sad part is to get it to $12000+ there had to be more than one insane person bidding.

In an auction, it sometimes takes one to tango.

this is the second time you've insinuated that there was shilling going on with this sale.

do you know something specific, or are you just being a bungholio?

The sad part is to get it to $12000+ there had to be more than one insane person bidding.

this is the second time you've insinuated that there was shilling going on with this sale.

I think he only posts when he thinks someone is shilling a book up or to advertise when he pimping one of his books...and of course in cases where his books are being discussed at auction I don't think he uses the word shill.

meh

I think he only posts when he thinks someone is shilling a book up or to advertise when he promoting one of his. Of course in cases where his books are being discussed I don't think he uses the word shill.

meh

^^

This fire has had fuel thrown on it for awhile now, in my neck of the woods it's considered the biggest book/key to evolve since Hulk 181,most speculate Deadpool is the next Wolverine as far as popularity and building a true following, and the book will continue to rise, most just focus on Deadpool and not who happened to draw him ( another topic altogehter), so the speculators will follow, however, this seems like a "fanboy" buy with deep pockets who belives some marinating in the slab box will reap rewards in 5-10 years time. The amount paid seems stratosphere at this time and most likely will remain the top dog for awhile, but nontheless some truly believe this is the next big key by a long shot. :popcorn:

This fire has had fuel thrown on it for awhile now, in my neck of the woods it's considered the biggest book/key to evolve since Hulk 181,most speculate Deadpool is the next Wolverine as far as popularity and building a true following, and the book will continue to rise, most just focus on Deadpool and not who happened to draw him ( another topic altogehter), so the speculators will follow, however, this seems like a "fanboy" buy with deep pockets who belives some marinating in the slab box will reap rewards in 5-10 years time. The amount paid seems stratosphere at this time and most likely will remain the top dog for awhile, but nontheless some truly believe this is the next big key by a long shot. :popcorn:

But it's so horrible! :cry:

Can you even think of another Marvel character that could possibly be hotter right now?

Venom was overexposed and while still popular isn't even the same character now. I've actually been wondering if Venom's first appearance is now ASM 20.

Gambit? Bishop? I think Mr. Sinister has good speculation potential if he in fact is the villain in the Gambit movie. You can pick up Sinister's first appearance for really cheap.

I believe the Wolverine comparison is legit and since Ryan Reynolds is portraying the character in movies then I'm pretty sure New Mutants 98 is only going up from here.

I snatched up 6 copies when it was starting to warm-up, and had $250 tied up in the 6 books, all 9.6 range. I'm keeping one raw and going to slab another two, as for the other three.......got a call for the other 3 by my LCS, as they had none and had a highly motivated buyer.....said I'd be there in 15 minutes. The code we use over the phone is "motivated", so to make a long story short...we agree all three are in the 9.6 or better range.....I say $500.......buyer says $450......I fudge/squirm for a bit and say.....alright. The buyers own words were.....this is the next Hulk 181 and the next Wolverine. :acclaim:

haha nice flip

I actually have a couple of long boxes that were in my parent's house that I forgot about. One of them had a 1st War Machine...I haven't really looked to see if there's a NM 98 but wouldn't be surprised if there's at least one.

Edited by comicalgems

I would be chuffed to bits to be able to pick up a Batman #227 9.8 for $750 more than a NM #98 9.9.

Or $2,250 less if I was the second buyer.

I.. what? Sorry, I'm confused! :cry:

It's that bottle of Baileys I just drank.

The only two recorded sales of Batman #227 in 9.8 on GPA were $13,000 and $10,000. Seems like a bargain of the year buy compared to a NM #98 in 9.9 for $12,250.

:roflmao:

Nick, my point is where do you draw the line as to what is an acceptable price and what isn't?

The line is in a different spot for every person depending on how deep their pockets are and what their perspective of the hobby is.

There are 100's of sales every year where people wretch at prices and they just continue to happen.

Some prices, in hindsight are good investments, and some are not.

When Wolverine Limited #1 in CGC 10.0 sold for $4000 that shook people up quite a bit. 6 years later a second copy surfaces and sells for $15,000.

Who knows what the future holds?

Nobody. That's why every new record price in comics is mocked with scorn.

:wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: From your lips to gods ears... :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck:

:wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck:

ItGoesto11.jpg

:wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck:

Chuck Norris's Book? hm

I would be chuffed to bits to be able to pick up a Batman #227 9.8 for $750 more than a NM #98 9.9.

The only two recorded sales of Batman #227 in 9.8 on GPA were $13,000 and $10,000. Seems like a bargain of the year buy compared to a NM #98 in 9.9 for $12,250.

Still expensive, but profoundly much more worthy (thumbs u

Still expensive, but profoundly much more worthy (thumbs u

Exactly ^^

I snatched up 6 copies when it was starting to warm-up, and had $250 tied up in the 6 books, all 9.6 range. I'm keeping one raw and going to slab another two, as for the other three.......got a call for the other 3 by my LCS, as they had none and had a highly motivated buyer.....said I'd be there in 15 minutes. The code we use over the phone is "motivated", so to make a long story short...we agree all three are in the 9.6 or better range.....I say $500.......buyer says $450......I fudge/squirm for a bit and say.....alright. The buyers own words were.....this is the next Hulk 181 and the next Wolverine. :acclaim:

The next Hulk 181? Really?

With the Hulk 181 book you have, according to the latest census, 4170 books graded. Of that, 166 are 9.6 or better. Meaning 3.98% of the toal books graded are 9.6 or better.

In regards to NM 98, there are 1339 books currently in the census. Of those, 855 are 9.6 or better. That makes 63.85% of the total books graded 9.6 or better.

This recent sale will only drive more NM 98s to be graveled out of long boxes and graded.

So, again I say, the next Hulk 181? Really?

Hulk 181 published in 1974

NM 98 published in 1991

Hulk 181 was published 35 years ago.

NM 98 was 18 years ago.

Give NM 98 18 years and it will be in 2027 what Hulk 181 is today. Hulk 181 will be AF 15 by then. AF 15 will be Action 1 and Action 1 will be a wet dream.

I predict that as more collectors arrive to the hobby the books will become more scarce because there's a larger population of people looking to own them. Heck, some of them will even want multiple copies. It is in fact a great book to own for investment purposes unless the popularity of Deadpool suddenly or gradually declines.

Of course it could always all go the way of Baseball cards then we're all F'd.

I predict that as more collectors arrive to the hobby the books will become more scarce because there's a larger population of people looking to own them. Heck, some of them will even want multiple copies. It is in fact a great book to own for investment purposes unless the popularity of Deadpool suddenly or gradually declines.

Are they "arriving" from the 1980's via time machine? Cause I don't know anyone under the age of 35 who collects comic books...