• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bedrock's Book du Jour (or so)

452 posts in this topic

How about the what's left list again after all this verbiage.

Still Available

Catholic Comics #7 cgc8.0 Cream Off-White pages $125 ON HOLD

Funny Pages v3#7 1.5 Cream-Off-White pages $225

Many Ghosts of Dr. Graves #1 cgc9.6 White pages $600

Marvel Mystery Comics #44 cgc6.5 Off-White pages $5500

Marvel Mystery Comics #50 cgc8.5 Cream-Off-White pages $3800

Superman #15 cgc6.5 Off-White pages $1100

Uncle Scrooge #8 cgc9.0 Off-White pages $350

Vic Torry and his Flying Saucer 7.0 (slight restoration) Cream Off-White pages $175

Walt Disney Comics and Stories #2 cgc6.5 Off-White pages $3500

Whiz Comics #26 cgc8.0 Off-White pages $450

Great answers. The only relevant matters in any sell...

1. What will it take to get the seller to part with a book?

2. What should a buyer offer? Enough to get the book or walk away.

In determining value a seller or buyer can ...

2A. Use a guide ... but remember it is only a guide and often a MISS-guide. All golden age books should be priced only to 8.0 and the 9.2 price made the 8.0 price in the next guide (just my 2 cents). This calls attention to the fact that 8.0 is high grade for golden age and premium prices should pile on for books above that.

2B. Use their gut ... how much do they want it. What could they get if they sold it themselves. What would they want to get if they sold it themselves.

2c. At what price point would the book be rocket fuel ... if the goal was sell the book in a week. Then the buyer can see what they've over paid ... but again ... they didn't over pay, so much as they paid a premium to be the ONE to buy the book...instead of competing with the masses to get it at a lower price. Everybody would buy it at 1000 ... and Newbie would probably not get it anyway ... as he's not at the head of the line. Consider the 5500 the first in line price. Then it's not overpriced at all.

2D. Buy the book from someone else at a lower price ... oh wait there is no one else with this book, so market forces are decidedly in favor of the seller. Therefore the seller is justified in asking any price they want and the buyer should no longer feel as though the overpaid.

In the end ... way to go Newbie ... market forces dictate there will always be a struggle between buyers and sellers ... all of us having been both over the years .... we all understand the buyer is trying to get the lowest price and the seller the highest price. Newbie is justified in fighting higher prices ... just as Bedrock is justified in attempting to take the market higher. Newbie has every right to be insulted and so has Bedrock.

In that sense both Newbie and Bedrock are RIGHT in principle ... nobody is a jerk here ... they are doing the dance of commerce as are we all ... in the end who is right as a matter of fact ... is MM worth 5500 ... at the moment Newbie is right, MM is not worth 5500 yet... and Newbie will continue to be right that 5500 is to high ... UNTIL the book sells and it will Sell eventually ... then Newbie will be wrong ... so hang in there Bedrock, or not ... it's up to you ... I think eventually you will be right ... you may sell for less than 5500, but I suspect that will be some small discount say 10% or not....that's up to you anyway

I do think it's ridiculous that silver and bronze books are selling for more than great golden age.

If golden agers had the resolve or resources to hold out for more ... the buyers would be forced to step up .... or the market would freeze up ... but the days of underpaying for golden age would come to an end ... it's that simple ... because rarely will golden age sellers cut their legs out from under them by another seller with the same merchandise.

On the other hand ... say a seller has a Silver/Bronze book ... and tries to price it "higher" than market ... say a GL 76 9.0 at $5500 ... in the eyes of many buyers this book would be as, or more, desirable than the Marvel Mystery Bedrock is selling ... but BUT ... other sellers will sell for far less that $5500 ... thus always cutting the legs out from under the guy that wants $5500 ... GL76 could sell for much more .... but to many will sell for less.

For those that say GL76 ... can't sell for $5500 ... there are to many copies ... it's more that too many copies are in to many "weak" hands ... if one person had them all and would not sell one for less than $5500 ... for awhile the market would complain and grump ... LIKE NEWBIE .... it should ... and it may never never pay that much ... but if the seller stays "strong" sooner or later someone will pay. Or they will pay more than the current 2k or whatever that hot book commands iin 9.0.

Anyway ... my last shot ... Newbie and most of us are concerned with over paying ... truth be told in general most every golden age purchase is an underbuy ... if not for resale ... for value ... come on look at that 8.0 Captain Marvel it is gorgeous ... and $450 ... why doesn't somebody complain that's to low and suggest Bedrock scoot his price up to 500 or 750 ... of course buyers won't do that ... but it is a nice book and who could blame him ...

Blah blah ... it all comes back to what will it take to get the seller to part with the book ... and that's not so much over or under payment ... it is what it is.

Thanks very much for the thoughtful post (thumbs u

To sum up, I priced the book based solely on the fact that that is the price at which I will part with it.

This one belongs IN the toilet.

Since Joey is so knowledgeable in such things (and obviously has no taste) I'll list two today...

mm44.jpg

mm44b.jpg

BANG...an awesome Schomburg cover that is very hard to come by.

It ain't cheap either...$5500

(BTW, if anyone offers $5000 or less, the sale price will immediately go up to $6000)

In response to this offer a newbie poster sent me the following PM...

BOTTOM LINE: Your price is asinine and has NO CHANCE TO SELL, NONE. I was not going to write this until your post to me was a little condesending.

5500 thanks for the laugh.

I am curious what everyone else feels about my price on this book.

What is "guide" and GPA on the book? Well we all have our price points and attachments to these historical gems. All prices are negotiable at some point but if not simply move on...looks like a very nice 6.5 copy though Mr B (thumbs u

To sum up, I priced the book based solely on the fact that that is the price at which I will part with it.

The fact that it is up for sale at all at ANY price is amazing.

I would NEVER sell it...if it was my copy.

West

The fact that it is up for sale at all at ANY price is amazing.

I would NEVER sell it...if it was my copy.

West

Excuse me, are you new to comics?

:baiting:

:gossip: I hear Schomburg is soooooo overrated.

All Schomburg fans are familiar with Brick Bradford #6 and the famous robot cover.

What most folks aren't aware of is that Schomburg also did the cover for Brick Bradford #7, a soon-to-be-considered iconic western cover!

brickbradford7.jpg

brickbradford7b.jpg

All of the usual Schomburg traits are present...

Wall-to-wall action?checkmark.gif well, almost. At least one person is getting clocked!

Hot babes?checkmark.gifWell, she is sorta hot. And she does throw a mean lasso.

Jingoistic War motifs?checkmark.gifThe war for the wild-west!

This is actually a very nice book. A structural 9.2 with a couple of small thumb smudges.

I'll grade it a 9.0 with off-white pages. $175

funnies50.jpg

funnies50b.jpg

An area of wrinkling between the two n's in "Funnies" and a crease at the top right front cover make this a 6.0. But oh, if only all of our 6.0s looked like this...

Off-white to White pages. $175

funnies56.jpg

funnies56b.jpg

There is a one inch split at the top of the spine. And Tan to cream pages.

I'll grade it a 5.0 but price it at $100

(See, I do price under guide from time to time :hi: )

How about the what's left list again after all this verbiage.

Still Available

Brick Bradford #7 9.0 Off-White pages $175

Catholic Comics #7 cgc8.0 Cream Off-White pages $125 ON HOLD

The Funnies #50 6.0 Off-White to White pages $175

The Funnies #56 5.0 Tan to Cream pages $100

Funny Pages v3#7 1.5 Cream-Off-White pages $225

Many Ghosts of Dr. Graves #1 cgc9.6 White pages $600

Marvel Mystery Comics #44 cgc6.5 Off-White pages $5500

Marvel Mystery Comics #50 cgc8.5 Cream-Off-White pages $3800

Superman #15 cgc6.5 Off-White pages $1100

Uncle Scrooge #8 cgc9.0 Off-White pages $350

Vic Torry and his Flying Saucer 7.0 (slight restoration) Cream Off-White pages $175

Walt Disney Comics and Stories #2 cgc6.5 Off-White pages $3500

Whiz Comics #26 cgc8.0 Off-White pages $450

A note to Newbie: We ARE the market. If the majority of us say the price isn't too high, then it isn't. Unlike with Silver Age that trades hands like currency because it's as common as paper money, Golden Age in grade is GOLD for more than one reason.

Besides, it stands to reason that if a seller chooses a high price, a low price, or anything in between, even if they don't sell the book, but the seller HAPPENS TO BE AN EXPERT then the quoted price is the correct price regardless.

Just my little 2c

the fact that anyone would presume to know more about the ga market than Richard Evans kind of boggles my mind.

at least he did it in pm and not via threadcrapping

The new thread theme is threadcrapping. I'd like to add "pass the roll" to the offending poster.

I guess I should tell Bob Overstreet that Richard Evans has been anointed the almighty of Golden Age pricing.

Damn, I missed that memo.