• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bedrock's Book du Jour (or so)

452 posts in this topic

BTW, here was my initial PM response which was, apparently, a little condescending...

Without trying to sound snide, the only thing I can say is the guide is meaningless when trying to arrive at prices for some of the rarer and more in demand golden age books. Marvel 44 is a very desirable cover, very tough in grade (only one graded higher), and none in any grade sold since 2002.

Plus, $5500 is what it will take to get me to part with it.

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving,

Richard

I am curious what everyone else feels about my price on this book.

I think you should have priced it at $7500, then $5500 would have sounded reasonable.

Hey, everybody has a price. $5500 is yours. Fair enough. I didn't think it was a prerequisite to check with the audience when pricing a book.

I do have to admit you have been condescending to me at times. Especially when you follow my 5.0 books with your 8.0-9.0 books.

Now out the bastiche!

This one belongs IN the toilet.

Since Joey is so knowledgeable in such things (and obviously has no taste) I'll list two today...

mm44.jpg

mm44b.jpg

BANG...an awesome Schomburg cover that is very hard to come by.

It ain't cheap either...$5500

(BTW, if anyone offers $5000 or less, the sale price will immediately go up to $6000)

In response to this offer a newbie poster sent me the following PM...

BOTTOM LINE: Your price is asinine and has NO CHANCE TO SELL, NONE. I was not going to write this until your post to me was a little condesending.

5500 thanks for the laugh.

It is your book....and it is your place to price as you see fit. This "Newbie Poster" person obviously has no class and should keep his :screwy: thoughts to himself.

Whether I agree with your price or not is not the issue here...the issue is common courtesey, and mutual respect..... (tsk) "Newbie" is a failure in this area :makepoint:

Don't get paranoid about your pricing on books Richard. The newbie was being a jerk. Besides, if one of the many that know you and your great reputation thinks your price is high, we will more than likely send you a friendly PM offer. (thumbs u

Richard, let me answer your question with a little anecdote of my own.

For the sake of those reading this thread: A few weeks ago, I contacted Richard when I was contemplating purchasing a very rare and desirable Golden Age book. Richard was the only person I knew who owned another copy, and I wanted his opinion before I made, what seemed to me at the time, a ridiculous Multiple of Guide offer, with little or no previous sales data to back it up with.

That book, as well as the one Richard is selling here today, have intriguing similarities. Both are very tough to find, in any grade. Both have outdated, or indeed, non-existant sales data to go by. Both have highly sought-after Schomburg war covers. To make a long story short, after Richard was kind enough to impart some of his hard-won wisdom onto me, I bit the bullet and made an offer to obtain the book. I paid a lot, but considering the fact I doubt another copy will be available anytime soon, I'm happy to have done it.

The long and short of it is this: if you forced me to come up with three people whose opinion on pricing of rare GA books I value the most, Mr. Evan's would be on it without question. If he thinks his MMC is a $5,500 book, I think that's a lot closer to the "market" then someone who is throwing out Guide prices as gospel.

The long and short of it is this: if you forced me to come up with three people whose opinion on pricing of rare GA books I value the most, Mr. Evan's would be on it without question. If he thinks his MMC is a $5,500 book, I think that's a lot closer to the "market" then someone who is throwing out Guide prices as gospel.

Whatever newbie.

:baiting:

Thanks guys (thumbs u (And a big thanks to George).

I directed the new guy with questions back to this thread because I knew you all could explain things much better than I ever could.

I directed the new guy with questions back to this thread because I knew you all could explain things much better than I ever could.

Pfff. Now, that was condescending. (tsk)

Since Joey is so knowledgeable in such things (and obviously has no taste) I'll list two today...

mm44.jpg

mm44b.jpg

(BTW, if anyone offers $5000 or less, the sale price will immediately go up to $6000)

BOTTOM LINE: Your price is asinine and has NO CHANCE TO SELL, NONE. I was not going to write this until your post to me was a little condesending.

To answer your question directly, your price is agressive and might only be realized in a high end auction like Heritage.

mm44.jpg

mm44b.jpg

If I may add a little bit to this.

I don't want to because I am looking for this book.Hence my hm hm hm hm when it was first listed.Toss the guide because it is not a true reflection of the value.This is a facking tough book to find

Richard...this is bye far the most intelligent thing I think I have ever heard you say :roflmao::ohnoez::golfclap:

Great answers. The only relevant matters in any sell...

1. What will it take to get the seller to part with a book?

2. What should a buyer offer? Enough to get the book or walk away.

In determining value a seller or buyer can ...

2A. Use a guide ... but remember it is only a guide and often a MISS-guide. All golden age books should be priced only to 8.0 and the 9.2 price made the 8.0 price in the next guide (just my 2 cents). This calls attention to the fact that 8.0 is high grade for golden age and premium prices should pile on for books above that.

2B. Use their gut ... how much do they want it. What could they get if they sold it themselves. What would they want to get if they sold it themselves.

2c. At what price point would the book be rocket fuel ... if the goal was sell the book in a week. Then the buyer can see what they've over paid ... but again ... they didn't over pay, so much as they paid a premium to be the ONE to buy the book...instead of competing with the masses to get it at a lower price. Everybody would buy it at 1000 ... and Newbie would probably not get it anyway ... as he's not at the head of the line. Consider the 5500 the first in line price. Then it's not overpriced at all.

2D. Buy the book from someone else at a lower price ... oh wait there is no one else with this book, so market forces are decidedly in favor of the seller. Therefore the seller is justified in asking any price they want and the buyer should no longer feel as though the overpaid.

In the end ... way to go Newbie ... market forces dictate there will always be a struggle between buyers and sellers ... all of us having been both over the years .... we all understand the buyer is trying to get the lowest price and the seller the highest price. Newbie is justified in fighting higher prices ... just as Bedrock is justified in attempting to take the market higher. Newbie has every right to be insulted and so has Bedrock.

In that sense both Newbie and Bedrock are RIGHT in principle ... nobody is a jerk here ... they are doing the dance of commerce as are we all ... in the end who is right as a matter of fact ... is MM worth 5500 ... at the moment Newbie is right, MM is not worth 5500 yet... and Newbie will continue to be right that 5500 is to high ... UNTIL the book sells and it will Sell eventually ... then Newbie will be wrong ... so hang in there Bedrock, or not ... it's up to you ... I think eventually you will be right ... you may sell for less than 5500, but I suspect that will be some small discount say 10% or not....that's up to you anyway

I do think it's ridiculous that silver and bronze books are selling for more than great golden age.

If golden agers had the resolve or resources to hold out for more ... the buyers would be forced to step up .... or the market would freeze up ... but the days of underpaying for golden age would come to an end ... it's that simple ... because rarely will golden age sellers cut their legs out from under them by another seller with the same merchandise.

On the other hand ... say a seller has a Silver/Bronze book ... and tries to price it "higher" than market ... say a GL 76 9.0 at $5500 ... in the eyes of many buyers this book would be as, or more, desirable than the Marvel Mystery Bedrock is selling ... but BUT ... other sellers will sell for far less that $5500 ... thus always cutting the legs out from under the guy that wants $5500 ... GL76 could sell for much more .... but to many will sell for less.

For those that say GL76 ... can't sell for $5500 ... there are to many copies ... it's more that too many copies are in to many "weak" hands ... if one person had them all and would not sell one for less than $5500 ... for awhile the market would complain and grump ... LIKE NEWBIE .... it should ... and it may never never pay that much ... but if the seller stays "strong" sooner or later someone will pay. Or they will pay more than the current 2k or whatever that hot book commands iin 9.0.

Anyway ... my last shot ... Newbie and most of us are concerned with over paying ... truth be told in general most every golden age purchase is an underbuy ... if not for resale ... for value ... come on look at that 8.0 Captain Marvel it is gorgeous ... and $450 ... why doesn't somebody complain that's to low and suggest Bedrock scoot his price up to 500 or 750 ... of course buyers won't do that ... but it is a nice book and who could blame him ...

Blah blah ... it all comes back to what will it take to get the seller to part with the book ... and that's not so much over or under payment ... it is what it is.

mm44.jpg

mm44b.jpg

It is your book....and it is your place to price as you see fit. This "Newbie Poster" person obviously has no class and should keep his :screwy: thoughts to himself.

Whether I agree with your price or not is not the issue here...the issue is common courtesey, and mutual respect..... (tsk) "Newbie" is a failure in this area :makepoint:

Was that from BucOne?? hm

Great answers. The only relevant matters in any sell...

1. What will it take to get the seller to part with a book?

2. What should a buyer offer? Enough to get the book or walk away.

In determining value a seller or buyer can ...

2A. Use a guide ... but remember it is only a guide and often a MISS-guide. All golden age books should be priced only to 8.0 and the 9.2 price made the 8.0 price in the next guide (just my 2 cents). This calls attention to the fact that 8.0 is high grade for golden age and premium prices should pile on for books above that.

2B. Use their gut ... how much do they want it. What could they get if they sold it themselves. What would they want to get if they sold it themselves.

2c. At what price point would the book be rocket fuel ... if the goal was sell the book in a week. Then the buyer can see what they've over paid ... but again ... they didn't over pay, so much as they paid a premium to be the ONE to buy the book...instead of competing with the masses to get it at a lower price. Everybody would buy it at 1000 ... and Newbie would probably not get it anyway ... as he's not at the head of the line. Consider the 5500 the first in line price. Then it's not overpriced at all.

2D. Buy the book from someone else at a lower price ... oh wait there is no one else with this book, so market forces are decidedly in favor of the seller. Therefore the seller is justified in asking any price they want and the buyer should no longer feel as though the overpaid.

In the end ... way to go Newbie ... market forces dictate there will always be a struggle between buyers and sellers ... all of us having been both over the years .... we all understand the buyer is trying to get the lowest price and the seller the highest price. Newbie is justified in fighting higher prices ... just as Bedrock is justified in attempting to take the market higher. Newbie has every right to be insulted and so has Bedrock.

In that sense both Newbie and Bedrock are RIGHT in principle ... nobody is a jerk here ... they are doing the dance of commerce as are we all ... in the end who is right as a matter of fact ... is MM worth 5500 ... at the moment Newbie is right, MM is not worth 5500 yet... and Newbie will continue to be right that 5500 is to high ... UNTIL the book sells and it will Sell eventually ... then Newbie will be wrong ... so hang in there Bedrock, or not ... it's up to you ... I think eventually you will be right ... you may sell for less than 5500, but I suspect that will be some small discount say 10% or not....that's up to you anyway

I do think it's ridiculous that silver and bronze books are selling for more than great golden age.

If golden agers had the resolve or resources to hold out for more ... the buyers would be forced to step up .... or the market would freeze up ... but the days of underpaying for golden age would come to an end ... it's that simple ... because rarely will golden age sellers cut their legs out from under them by another seller with the same merchandise.

On the other hand ... say a seller has a Silver/Bronze book ... and tries to price it "higher" than market ... say a GL 76 9.0 at $5500 ... in the eyes of many buyers this book would be as, or more, desirable than the Marvel Mystery Bedrock is selling ... but BUT ... other sellers will sell for far less that $5500 ... thus always cutting the legs out from under the guy that wants $5500 ... GL76 could sell for much more .... but to many will sell for less.

For those that say GL76 ... can't sell for $5500 ... there are to many copies ... it's more that too many copies are in to many "weak" hands ... if one person had them all and would not sell one for less than $5500 ... for awhile the market would complain and grump ... LIKE NEWBIE .... it should ... and it may never never pay that much ... but if the seller stays "strong" sooner or later someone will pay. Or they will pay more than the current 2k or whatever that hot book commands iin 9.0.

Anyway ... my last shot ... Newbie and most of us are concerned with over paying ... truth be told in general most every golden age purchase is an underbuy ... if not for resale ... for value ... come on look at that 8.0 Captain Marvel it is gorgeous ... and $450 ... why doesn't somebody complain that's to low and suggest Bedrock scoot his price up to 500 or 750 ... of course buyers won't do that ... but it is a nice book and who could blame him ...

Blah blah ... it all comes back to what will it take to get the seller to part with the book ... and that's not so much over or under payment ... it is what it is.

Gee....is that it ? Is that all you have to say? Seems there should be so much more information you could haved shared, so much more wisdom you could have imparted on us....? Well, I don't know about everyone else on here....but I want to give you a great big "Bill Murray" thank you for being our bestist and newist "big toe"......kinda the Sargent Haulka of the CGC boards. THANKS!!! (thumbs u