• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Coverless Golden Age Grail Club
2 2

95 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Point Five said:

Funny. I read through this thread thinking it was brand new until I hit my own post from 2009.  lol

I did as well!! Hats of to Knight for finding the perfect thread to place a book like Sha stated!! Awesome!!

On 2017-04-02 at 7:20 PM, Point Five said:

I read through this thread thinking it was brand new until I hit my own post from 2009.  lol

plus my broken jpgs from 2009. Some coverless, thrashed 1940 :luhv: early Actions yet strangely satisfying:

liVoB4Qh.jpg

1. This one I think is closer to grail quality. Marvel Mystery Comics 5.  Hard to find, first Schomberg cover, does it still count as a grail if the cover was the part that made it classic and the cover is gone??:$  I like it regardless . 

IMG_0944.JPG

Edited by ender
left off information

8 hours ago, ender said:
  1. This one I think is closer to grail quality. Marvel Mystery Comics 5.  Hard to find, first Schomberg cover, does it still count as a grail if the cover was the part that made it classic and the cover is gone??:$  I like it regardless . 

IMG_0944.JPG

Very cool!

OK this one, legit grail by just about anyone's definition, scarce, Gerber 7, All-American Comics 16. Also anyone want to chime in about ideas of value? Very few sold, could not find record of a Coverless ever selling but I am sure a few have.  A beat Coverless All Star 8 sold a little while back for just under $10,0000 and the book has traditionally been much more expensive. Don't know if that means anything today though. Any help is sure welcome.

IMG_0946.JPG

@ender

Since I was taught by 2 of the top "bottom feeders" when I first learned about GA books, it was always a rule of thumb that a coverless book was worth about 20 - 25% of good, unless it was a Timely, then about 50%. Stuff changes a lot, but I'm sure one of the professionals (dealers) can help more:) 

Just now, ender said:

Agreed, that is why I am hesitant to slab them.

Well, you don't have to worry about restoration so much, as long as you know the books are complete and that's pretty easy if you count the pages.

Do you have a copy of this? https://www.twomorrows.com/alterego/media/Golden Age Index.pdf

I find it very helpful for page counts.  They only have superheroes listed though.

2 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

@ender

Since I was taught by 2 of the top "bottom feeders" when I first learned about GA books, it was always a rule of thumb that a coverless book was worth about 20 - 25% of good, unless it was a Timely, then about 50%. Stuff changes a lot, but I'm sure one of the professionals (dealers) can help more:) 

Thanks,

I had heard 10 %, but it is hard to really even know what the good price is when so few sell.  I could find out I suppose by throwing it in an auction and seeing what the market will do with it but then.....I don't have it any more!:facepalm:

9 hours ago, ender said:

Also not a grail but the opening splash with the Spectre I always thought was really cool. This is a More Fun 59

IMG_0943.JPG

Classic stories inside those pages