• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Coverless Golden Age Grail Club
2 2

95 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, ender said:

Thanks,

I had heard 10 %, but it is hard to really even know what the good price is when so few sell.  I could find out I suppose by throwing it in an auction and seeing what the market will do with it but then.....I don't have it any more!:facepalm:

Not 10% for that kind of book, for a cartoon, or a generic unknown superhero maybe. Unless stuff has completely changed. I used to have tons of coverless books, I finally decided to upgrade a tiny bit. When I sold them on eBay a lot of the keys went for good or better. 

I sold a GA GL #1, that had been in a FIRE. I wish I could find the picture, lol.  Someone recently referred to one of my books as "tasty" well, this one was TOASTY, there were charred bits all over my desk...I just couldn't bear to toss it. It sold for over $500 I think? and that was at least 7 or 8 years ago;) 

There are always people looking for centerfolds, too. I paid a fortune for a coverless Sensation 1, because I had one missing a centerfold. I just didn't pay attention to the numbers. I knew I wasn't spending $5 or $6k on a restored awful copy so I kept bidding...and someone else must have needed it too;) 

54 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Not 10% for that kind of book, for a cartoon, or a generic unknown superhero maybe. Unless stuff has completely changed. I used to have tons of coverless books, I finally decided to upgrade a tiny bit. When I sold them on eBay a lot of the keys went for good or better. 

I sold a GA GL #1, that had been in a FIRE. I wish I could find the picture, lol.  Someone recently referred to one of my books as "tasty" well, this one was TOASTY, there were charred bits all over my desk...I just couldn't bear to toss it. It sold for over $500 I think? and that was at least 7 or 8 years ago;) 

There are always people looking for centerfolds, too. I paid a fortune for a coverless Sensation 1, because I had one missing a centerfold. I just didn't pay attention to the numbers. I knew I wasn't spending $5 or $6k on a restored awful copy so I kept bidding...and someone else must have needed it too;) 

Yea that is one thing the boards and to some extent eBay are good for because 20 years ago one's chance of finding the random centerfold you needed would seem to be like a needle in a haystack.  I have been trying to put together a More Fun run in really low grade and need to go to the "Lets get married" board and see if anyone there can offer some help.

1 hour ago, skypinkblu said:

I've noticed the guys in Texas (My Comic Shop, I think) are asking 90% of the good price for coverless comics.  I think they are anticipating someone completing a copy like you did.  I suppose they are buying at 50% of good and trying to double or triple the price.  They tend to lower the price occasionally.  I don't think the market for DC and Nedor is as good as Timely.

2 hours ago, BB-Gun said:

I've noticed the guys in Texas (My Comic Shop, I think) are asking 90% of the good price for coverless comics.  I think they are anticipating someone completing a copy like you did.  I suppose they are buying at 50% of good and trying to double or triple the price.  They tend to lower the price occasionally.  I don't think the market for DC and Nedor is as good as Timely.

Most of those My Comic Shop coverless are incomplete as well:flipbait:  They are mainly consignments in all fairness to My Comic Shop.  

I've been dipping my foot into coverless lately so was taking a pretty strong look.  

3 hours ago, ender said:

Yea that is one thing the boards and to some extent eBay are good for because 20 years ago one's chance of finding the random centerfold you needed would seem to be like a needle in a haystack.  I have been trying to put together a More Fun run in really low grade and need to go to the "Lets get married" board and see if anyone there can offer some help.

That thread works! Cmcfan and I put together an Adventure 95 over there. (Well, he did, I guess. I sold him my coverless copy; he posted that he had a cover and needed the book.) point is, that thread works when everyone keeps reporting their latest pieces (literally! Pieces!) into the pot.

I've still got a batch of coverless GA; many cool but not truly Grail-y (Batman 84, All-American 3, a coverless very partial Superman 14, etc)

33 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

That thread works! Cmcfan and I put together an Adventure 95 over there. (Well, he did, I guess. I sold him my coverless copy; he posted that he had a cover and needed the book.) point is, that thread works when everyone keeps reporting their latest pieces (literally! Pieces!) into the pot.

I've still got a batch of coverless GA; many cool but not truly Grail-y (Batman 84, All-American 3, a coverless very partial Superman 14, etc)

Thanks again for helping with the marriage.  

On 4/7/2017 at 8:47 PM, BB-Gun said:

I think they are off the reservation. Their incomplete coverless pricing is ridiculous, and I don't care if it's consignment... they should be counseling their consignors.

I agree, I understand how the right person would pay a premium to complete a book, but they don't seem to understand the best a married cover and interior can get is a 4.0. 

The last one that comes to mind is a Marvel Mystery #44 interior for $795.  

On 4/10/2017 at 11:10 AM, GoldenPRGuy said:

I think they are off the reservation. Their incomplete coverless pricing is ridiculous, and I don't care if it's consignment... they should be counseling their consignors.

So it's not just me, thinking I don't know what stuff is worth anymore.  

I had looked at a number of their listings and realized rhey had at least several interiors or covers which I could complete with pieces I had.  But in each case what they were asking for their parts seemed like more than I could expect to get if I bought it and married them with the parts I had.   I tried to send a message to offer a deal on several but it wouldn't send a message.   So I just stopped looking.

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:38 PM, bluechip said:

I had looked at a number of their listings and realized rhey had at least several interiors or covers which I could complete with pieces I had.  But in each case what they were asking for their parts seemed like more than I could expect to get if I bought it and married them with the parts I had.   I tried to send a message to offer a deal on several but it wouldn't send a message.   So I just stopped looking.

Ya I remember someone had the last page to Marvel 1 that I need for my coverless copy. I think it went for 1k i was outbid on ebay  wonder who that was 17 years ago :baiting:

Edited by woowoo

On 4/11/2017 at 6:38 PM, bluechip said:

It's not just their coverless stuff. I have had a number of exchanges with them over the years regarding their consignments. Most of them sit around for ages because the asking price is so outrageous, and when you reach out they always say the same thing, "it's a consignment and the seller won't budge." I think we can all agree the "I was just following orders" defense has never worked well for anyone. At some point, and it's way past this point for me, it's damaging to their reputation. They need to put their big boy pants on work with the seller to land on a price that is realistic. I, for one, am (and yes I know they won't lose sleep over this) done buying from them until they do.

14 hours ago, woowoo said:

Ya I remember someone had the last page to Marvel 1 that I need for my coverless copy. I think it went for 1k i was outbid on ebay  wonder who that was 17 years ago :baiting:

I don't think that was me.   Never bought a single page of Marvel 1 that I can recall.   Do remember having a copy once that was missing part of the first page, but got it in previous millennium back when a book of that sort was a grand or so.  

11 hours ago, GoldenPRGuy said:
On 4/11/2017 at 6:38 PM, bluechip said:

It's not just their coverless stuff. I have had a number of exchanges with them over the years regarding their consignments. Most of them sit around for ages because the asking price is so outrageous, and when you reach out they always say the same thing, "it's a consignment and the seller won't budge." I think we can all agree the "I was just following orders" defense has never worked well for anyone. At some point, and it's way past this point for me, it's damaging to their reputation. They need to put their big boy pants on work with the seller to land on a price that is realistic. I, for one, am (and yes I know they won't lose sleep over this) done buying from them until they do.

I seem to remember Conan indicating on the boards that they were going to implement a Best Offer feature on their site and eBay listings.  But it hasn't happened and that post has to have been made a couple of years ago now, so it's probably not happening.  I would think it costs them some business for just the reasons you note.  Maybe they feel their volume is too high and they have too many consignments to burn up time fielding offers, but even Metro takes offers (not that they actually discount much!) and their volume is also high.

10 hours ago, bluechip said:

I don't think that was me.   Never bought a single page of Marvel 1 that I can recall.   Do remember having a copy once that was missing part of the first page, but got it in previous millennium back when a book of that sort was a grand or so.  

Just read the e-mail I got from you in 2000 think your right it was not you. I PM you the e-mail from back then so only you can see.(thumbsu

On 4/13/2017 at 9:29 PM, Sqeggs said:

I seem to remember Conan indicating on the boards that they were going to implement a Best Offer feature on their site and eBay listings.  But it hasn't happened and that post has to have been made a couple of years ago now, so it's probably not happening.  I would think it costs them some business for just the reasons you note.  Maybe they feel their volume is too high and they have too many consignments to burn up time fielding offers, but even Metro takes offers (not that they actually discount much!) and their volume is also high.

Not to beat a dead horse, but they just listed a coverless, incomplete Captain America Comics #38 that was in a fire (or someone took a blow torch around the edges).  A steal for only $130