• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics #7

83 posts in this topic

doesn't surprise me at all. I expected around $7k or so.

$2200 over your expectations isn't surprising?

well, $7k was just a ballpark figure, meaning "at least" $7k. I'm not the prognosticator that Gator is, but I'm learning. :grin:

it is a this time, that I feel compeled to retell my "what could have been" story of Action #7.

Around 2001, my LCS owner had gotten in an Action #7 that someone who had just bought an old house for renovation found in the attic. the book, the best that I can remember, was in about 2.0 condition, beat but complete, with some numbers scribbled on the cover in pencil. for only $800. I remember looking at it and thinking "$800 for this rag?? it's not like it's the #1 or anything" and handed it back.

now this was long before I knew about the CGC boards and had NO CLUE how rare the book was/is. doh!

:foryou:

I guess Action 7 2.0 are over five figures now. Metropolis had and 3.5 for $6500 back in 2003. Also, somebody in California owns that 4.0 that sold for around $15K around that time too.

and I think that 4.0 sold for $25k on CLINK a few years later...

The person in California who owns the 4.0 is the Robert Crystol copy. Is that the same copy?

well, $7k was just a ballpark figure, meaning "at least" $7k. I'm not the prognosticator that Gator is, but I'm learning. :grin:

it is a this time, that I feel compeled to retell my "what could have been" story of Action #7.

Around 2001, my LCS owner had gotten in an Action #7 that someone who had just bought an old house for renovation found in the attic. the book, the best that I can remember, was in about 2.0 condition, beat but complete, with some numbers scribbled on the cover in pencil. for only $800. I remember looking at it and thinking "$800 for this rag?? it's not like it's the #1 or anything" and handed it back.

now this was long before I knew about the CGC boards and had NO CLUE how rare the book was/is. doh!

I guess Action 7 2.0 are over five figures now. Metropolis had and 3.5 for $6500 back in 2003. Also, somebody in California owns that 4.0 that sold for around $15K around that time too.

The person in California who owns the 4.0 is the Robert Crystol copy. Is that the same copy?

hm not sure...but this CGC 4.0 copy has some pink spots on the FC (near the spine)

well, I had an OO action 7 (part of my 1-14 run I bought in 1990) that was an unrestored VF range.... and seeing what the cgc 8.0 went for last year, makes me "cringe"

Wow, imagine if you kept it. Unbelievable...prices these days. :eek:

I used to think that way, but I sold my action 1-100 and my batman 1-100 runs to finance the start of my business that I have been able to parlay into 10x what those books are worth today... so, while I will always have some regret of selling, financially, it was the best thing I could have done... if I hadn't of sold, I might be bagging grocery's at Publix right now

Or Winn Dixie ....Piggly Wiggly...or maybe Hogly Woggly :o

hm not sure...but this CGC 4.0 copy has some pink spots on the FC (near the spine)

The 4.0 with the pink spots on it was sold also at vintage collectibles for $13500 (I knew the buyer) who then sold it later to a collector for about $35k I believe a couple of years ago

The runner up bidder had 48k plus feedback and bid 9k.

I think overall this book sold at a premium because of scarcity and 2nd cover of Superman. The book would probably grade at a 1.0 restored (A) color touch. So

either the winning bidder is going to have it restored or have the color touch removed.

I probably would have the color touch removed and keep it unrestored. If you restore, it would probably cost quite a bit considering it had several holes in the comic, not sure how that would play out, plus in person I'm sure the rusty staples are a major turn off.

The seller made a wise choice to sell it on the internet because I don't believe anyone in person would have paid $9200

well, I had an OO action 7 (part of my 1-14 run I bought in 1990) that was an unrestored VF range.... and seeing what the cgc 8.0 went for last year, makes me "cringe"

I used to think that way, but I sold my action 1-100 and my batman 1-100 runs to finance the start of my business that I have been able to parlay into 10x what those books are worth today... so, while I will always have some regret of selling, financially, it was the best thing I could have done... if I hadn't of sold, I might be bagging grocery's at Publix right now

Aren't you looking for a job?

:baiting:

sadly yes :cry:

Or Winn Dixie ....Piggly Wiggly...or maybe Hogly Woggly :o

that is downright funny lol

The 4.0 with the pink spots on it was sold also at vintage collectibles for $13500 (I knew the buyer) who then sold it later to a collector for about $35k I believe a couple of years ago

I followed the "pink" copy for a while...

Vintage sold it for the 13,500...correct...

it was listed on clink for months at 20K ,with highest offer at 17K+ that I saw...maybe then it went to auction? but was pulled from exchange and I don't recall ever seeing "pending sale" (though josh could confirm for us)

was offered on ebay multiple times (from 20-25K) and I have not seen the light of it since, and if it sold for 35K, it did so privately (shrug)

it was listed on clink for months at 20K ,with highest offer at 17K+ that I saw...maybe then it went to auction? but was pulled from exchange and I don't recall ever seeing "pending sale" (though josh could confirm for us)

was offered on ebay multiple times (from 20-25K) and I have not seen the light of it since, and if it sold for 35K, it did so privately (shrug)

I remember there a 4.0 that was offered on ebay for a buy it now for $25k The buyer didn't pay for it, so it was re-listed in another Ebay auction for bidding, and later sold it for around $15K. The seller mentioned it was the Robert Crystol copy. Is that the same copy?

I remember there a 4.0 that was offered on ebay for a buy it now for $25k The buyer didn't pay for it, so it was re-listed in another Ebay auction for bidding, and later sold it for around $15K. The seller mentioned it was the Robert Crystol copy. Is that the same copy?

the ebayer that offered the book a year + ago, never sold it for 15K...

it sold for 15K in 2006 by the ebayer that bought it from Vintage... that owner listed it on clink for a while, then listed it on ebay, and last I knew, he still had it, but Dark Knight says he might have privately sold it for 35K?

never saw or paid attention to crystol (do you mean Crestol sp?) or not... but there is only 1 cgc 4.0 with pink splotch mid spine

it sold for 15K in 2006 by the ebayer that bought it from Vintage... that owner listed it on clink for a while, then listed it on ebay, and last I knew, he still had it, but Dark Knight says he might have privately sold it for 35K?

never saw or paid attention to crystol (do you mean Crestol sp?) or not... but there is only 1 cgc 4.0 with pink splotch mid spine

Yeah...I meant Robert D. Crestohl. The person who sold it on Ebay had a note on the auction that it was the Crestohl copy. If there is only one 4.0...then it is. Thanks.

Yeah...I meant Robert D. Crestohl. The person who sold it on Ebay had a note on the auction that it was the Crestohl copy. If there is only one 4.0...then it is. Thanks.

there are 2 cgc 4.0's on the census...only one has the pink blotch (thumbs u

Maybe I will try to find out about the other 4.0. ;)

Maybe I will try to find out about the other 4.0. ;)

I know who owns it, but they are not selling... it is the pink splotch 4.0 I have tried to buy (unsuccessfully)

And I think the same owner had a Tec 31 in 4.0 that DK and I had tried to buy but I think his asking at the time was $25k for a 4.0...and at some point he stopped corresponding via email on both books...

I need a TA for Biology :grin:

Duties include prepping fetal pigs and frogs for dissection, washing scalpels, dissecting pans, petri dishes, beakers, flasks, etc.

Perks: unlimited access to teacher's lounge where all the coke zeros are, lunch everyday with the school Bio teacher, looking at funny books during free periods :grin:

Interested? :wishluck:

And I think the same owner had a Tec 31 in 4.0 that DK and I had tried to buy but I think his asking at the time was $25k for a 4.0...and at some point he stopped corresponding via email on both books...
that is my recollection

I need a TA for Biology :grin:

Duties include prepping fetal pigs and frogs for dissection, washing scalpels, dissecting pans, petri dishes, beakers, flasks, etc.

Perks: unlimited access to teacher's lounge where all the coke zeros are, lunch everyday with the school Bio teacher, looking at funny books during free periods :grin:

Interested? :wishluck:

what about commute allowances (shrug)